IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Dublin M50 Toll Penalty Enforceable?

Comments

• Thanks for the info - I will ignore it. Will never drive back to Dublin again! Not good for tourism if that's how they treat visitors with a hefty STN straight away.
  • Gdb
    Gdb Posts: 1 Newbie
    Parisien wrote: »
    Just got one of these for a single journey last month, anyone being pursued to pay or indeed any further action taken from a legal perspective?

P
    There is plenty of signage on the road to tell you what to do, the London congestion charge works the same way. Why try to hide as a foreigner , it's a good road why not help keep it that way.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Is it not now well past the 6 year statute of limitations anyway? Not sure if this would apply in this sort of case, so curious if anyone knows for sure.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Gdb wrote: »
    There is plenty of signage on the road to tell you what to do, the London congestion charge works the same way. Why try to hide as a foreigner , it's a good road why not help keep it that way.

Because there are better and fairer ways to collect the toll charges from foreign drivers than passing it to a toothless but greedy debt collection company.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • SimonTF
    SimonTF Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 July 2018 at 1:00PM
    We recently used the M50 toll and paid cash at a manned turnstile. We then got a letter with a picture of our car saying we had not paid and there was a fine. I went on their website and eventually managed to start a query. The options are limited. Then we got another letter the same as the first. So we paid it. I have tried ringing about 15 times but cannot get through. I have read that they do not reply to letters. Bunch of cowboys.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 July 2018 at 12:33PM
    SimonTF wrote: »
    We recently used the M50 toll and paid cash at a manned turnstile.

The M50 toll does not have manned barriers, the Dublin Port tunnel toll does. Did you pay one and not the other?
  • Hi all,
    I'm posting here as this was the first result in Google when I searched for M50 toll penalties (or similar). If this advice was here, I would've found it very useful.
    I received a UTN with "M50 Toll eFlow" letterhead, with a penalty total of around £44, for passing through a toll that was subsequently unpaid (ignorance isn't a defence, but this must catch out so many mainland drivers!).
    Anyway, the letter stated that because an "STR" was not paid within a certain period of time, a UTN was issued. I logged onto EPCPLC with my case number and reg plate, and appealed the decision (the link wasn't hard to find). I then claimed I had not received an STR.
    An hour or so later (this was on a Sunday evening) a response was given on the website for which I got an email notification for. They waived the UTN, and I'm only due to pay the STR (6.10 EUR).

On hindsight I actually mistakenly paid £6.10 through epcplc.com...but hopefully they won't hold that against me!

Hope this helps.
  • Krackythehoodedone
    Krackythehoodedone Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 March 2019 at 2:12PM
    I too have been subject of toll charge fines from EPC

I too had no idea I was attracting these charges. There are toll booths and we paid when we were asked.

EFlow (who controls M50 need to work to let foreign national know what is going on)

However I have a nasty nasty sting in the tail to report

I was in a hire car. EPC then sent the fines to Europcar who PAID THE FINES ON MY BEHALF AND USED THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO CHARGE 25x THE FINE AMOUNT IN ADMIN CHARGES

They then took the money from my CC even though I had told them not to and warned my CC company not to pay them

Am currently fighting this
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

I too had no idea I was attracting these charges. There are toll booths and we paid when we were asked.
    Did you use the Dublin Port Tunnel? That has toll booths, the M50 Toll does not, which may be what caused your problem.
  • Yes that caught me out too. Lovely holiday in Southern Ireland in June. Return trip to ferry port, went through tunnel paid at toll booth. Month later letter received with a penalty for not paying. Found dash-cam footage that showed me stopping and paying. About to submit with a big FO then reading penalty letter again, says it was for the M50 part of the journey. So yes, got caught out. Sorry but driving in Saturday afternoon traffic through Dublin, im hardly going to whip out a pen and paper to jot down a number. Bet they catch a lot of tourist out this way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure