DWP Chasing "Debt" for Overpayment of Jobseekers Allowence

Hi,
Wondering if anyone can suggest what I can do to fight this.

Between 2002 and 2003, I was on JSA for about 8 months.
I have today received a letter demanding money for overpayment of £250.
From 14 years ago!

I have a feeling I know what this is. Shortly after I signed off, I was brought back in and interviewed under caution as they found I had some of my student loan money leftover, which I didn't declare as "savings". (since it was a loan).

Regardless of whether you count it as savings or not, I received a demand for repayment, and I did send them a cheque which they cashed for the amount. I seem to recall it was for about the same amount as the letter today.

Problem is, I have no way to prove this now - I've spoke to my bank, and for Data protection, they only keep 6 years' of data.
They could basically make up anything they like and simply demand it - and they've told me they will simply take it straight off my pay next month if I dont pay.

I feel like I'm being very unfairly handled here. Can anyone advise what I can do?

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Although this debt is statute barred ( they cannot take you to court for it) the DWP have the power to deduct the overpayment from future benefits or get an attachments of earnings.

You can write a letter asking for information and details of what the debt is for.

You can tell them that you believe this may be fron the time you were on JSA and had an overpayment . You received a letter about it at the time and wrote a cheque to them for the said amount.

You can asked them to check their records again as you believe you have already paid this.

Keep it polite as this is your only choice and in all likelihood you will have to pay it again.

If this means you will find repayment difficult you can, after receiving their reply, send a financial statement detailing your income and expenditure and ask for a repayment plan.

Not much more you can do, sorry.
  • Thanks.

Its quite a con isn't it? They can just go back in their records and say "nope, you never paid" to anyone they like. Its the principle that is really annoying me
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    It is very frustrating, I agree.

Since the DWP has powers to seek repayments going back years it is advisable to keep any paperwork, payments etc from the beginning of any claim. A pain, I realize, but a necessity to appeal such demands.

Good luck!
  • Going well so far.
    As directed I called jobcentre plus to discuss the origin of the debt. They said "they have no way to know". They don't keep records 14 years back and said I needed to deal with DWP Debt Recovery.
    The people who told me that I'd need to discuss it with JC+

So round in circles I go, to chase a debt that only exists because someone says it does, not because anyone can prove it.
  • Just spoke again to DWP. Even THEIR system doesn't have data pre-2005, so they have to place a request to their archive system.

This is ridiculous.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Just spoke again to DWP. Even THEIR system doesn't have data pre-2005, so they have to place a request to their archive system.

This is ridiculous.
    Well sort of; to be fair you didn't declare money you had. loan or not.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Well sort of; to be fair you didn't declare money you had. loan or not.

Yeh, I don't really want to have this argument again tbh. Its dragging up anger from 15 years ago.

Nevertheless, I was interviewed under caution (taped) and their judgement was that I'd been overpaid by ~£250 and I got a letter asking for payment.

I sent the check with their own letter on which I wrote in pen "Please find cheque enclosed".

After being told they would, nobody called me from the Sunderland Benefits Office today - I have one more working day to deal with all of this as I'm on holiday next week.
    Its a shambles.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Yeh, I don't really want to have this argument again tbh. Its dragging up anger from 15 years ago.

Nevertheless, I was interviewed under caution (taped) and their judgement was that I'd been overpaid by ~£250 and I got a letter asking for payment.

I sent the check with their own letter on which I wrote in pen "Please find cheque enclosed".

After being told they would, nobody called me from the Sunderland Benefits Office today - I have one more working day to deal with all of this as I'm on holiday next week.
    Its a shambles.

My point was that the whole drama is because you didn’t declare it. No judgment, just fact.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure