Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    because as soon as they told me they would not / could not sort it out I would go to complaint!

Thats not a surprise really. You're not even a customer and all you do is complain!

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Xbigman
    Options
    Snakey wrote: »
    Check the inbox in your online account - in mine was a letter dated yesterday, advising a price increase from 1 March.
    Elec - from 16.15 to 17.12
    Gas - from 4.91 to 5.16
    (all including VAT)

I'm reviewing alternatives, but as a very low user unless there's another "no standing charge" tariff out there I expect I'll be better off staying put.

There's nothing in my inbox - Yet.

Darren

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Xbigman
    Options
    Thats 5% on gas and 6% on electric (round figures).

Could be worse.

Darren

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Xbigman wrote: »
    Thats 5% on gas and 6% on electric (round figures).

Could be worse.
    I agree, although I've not had the letter either (yet).

When Ebico switched from SSE to RHE they gave a discount of at least 4.5%, or 5.5% by going to DD. So even a 6% increase is only putting prices marginally over what I was paying a year ago, against a background of sharp increases across the market.

Had I stayed with SSE then an effective increase of 5p/kWh (day) and 2p/kWh (night) would have applied from 28 April 2017, followed of course by the introduction of standing charges.

So if the increases now are only 6%, then personally I think I've done quite well.

And as the rises would start after the bulk of the Winter season has passed then it seems an even better outcome than we could have reasonably expected.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm reviewing alternatives, but as a very low user unless there's another "no standing charge" tariff out there I expect I'll be better off staying put.

There are a number of no standing charge tariffs available from alternative suppliers.

If you use the MSE Cheap Energy Club, you can filter by zero standing charge tariffs if you want, but I suggest you don't - afterall, surely you just want the lowest cost no matter how the tariff is made up?

However, if you really want a zero standing charge tariff at whatever cost, ensure you check all the alternative forms of payment, as some are direct debit only, etc, so are only displayed when you choose the appropriate payment method.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I went to the Cheap Energy Club after posting, and it reckons Solarplicity (who I'd never heard of before today, not sure whether that's a concern or not - it's not as if I trust the big companies) are cheaper. The comparison was presumably against current prices so would probably still be cheaper even if they put their prices up too just as soon as I joined them.

Trouble was, when I went to their website they didn't recognise my postcode. Don't know whether that means they don't supply to my area or what, but I suppose I'm in no hurry so I can always check back in a week just in case it's a temporary glitch.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check the inbox in your online account - in mine was a letter dated yesterday, advising a price increase from 1 March.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

I too have a letter dated 13th January in my online inbox, but as yet I haven't received an email informing me that there is a letter for me to read - maybe this is coming in the next day or so. I hope protocol is to inform customers that there is a letter to read as I'm not generally in the habit of logging in to my account and checking the inbox just on the off chance a message is there.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2018 at 10:11PM
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    That's what I do though. I get the bill, check it, and ask to have it changed if it is wrong.

Well, that is exactly how Ebico worked when SSE were in charge, but no so now. Have you tried getting a bill changed after receiving it?

In my reply from customer services this time, someone has actually explained why they "can't" do it.

Take my latest bill - for the period up to 26/12/17, and the bill is dated 12/01/18. That's a slightly longer gap than normal, but with the holidays etc that's no big deal. I receive my bill, see that they've estimated the bill, check my meter and see that the current read is quite a bit different (lower) to the estimated one.

I inform them of the read as of today when I've read the meter. They DON'T reissue the bill - I would love to know if anyone has had success with this. What they say is that as the billing period for the bill ends on 26/12/17, the only reads they can accept are reads for the billing period of the bill - so if I could tell them what the meter said on 26/12/17 they could reissue the bill.

Of course, unless I lie I cannot tell them what the meter said on that day. I could mathematically work out a presumed estimate on that day based on current read, but that still isn't being totally truthful - and anyway that kind of fiddling around isn't my job and too much faffing about.

They have told me I need to give them a read BEFORE my next bill is produced for the billing period up to 28/03/18.

SSE reissued bills no problem. This system seems a bit daft.

Would love to know if anyone is successfully getting bills reissued. Do you have to lie and give a read during the billing cycle? Is this unique to monthly direct debit payers or is their billing this daft for everyone?

Seems very tempting to switch to these people for my electricity if I'm honest. Their video reminds me of what Ebico used to be shouting about - no standing charges, one tariff, pay how you like. Wonder what their billing is like?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 January 2018 at 10:33PM
    Options
    I went to the Cheap Energy Club after posting, and it reckons Solarplicity (who I'd never heard of before today, not sure whether that's a concern or not - it's not as if I trust the big companies) are cheaper. The comparison was presumably against current prices so would probably still be cheaper even if they put their prices up too just as soon as I joined them.

Trouble was, when I went to their website they didn't recognise my postcode. Don't know whether that means they don't supply to my area or what, but I suppose I'm in no hurry so I can always check back in a week just in case it's a temporary glitch.

Solarplicity were previously known as LoCo2
    You are correct that their prices are variable, so can change anytime.
    So perhaps allow for a 5-6% increase in unit price as per Ebico?
    Another thing to look at carefully is their electric quote.
    What they actually do is reduce the amount of electricity you say you use by 11% and give you a quote for that.
    The reason they do this is they suggest you will save 11% electricity by using the free LED lightbulbs they say they will send you
    So if you don't agree with that (I don't), I suggest you increase the amount of electricity you tell them by about 12.5% so when they then reduce it by 11%, it should reflect the amount you really think you will use.

Even with these 2 increases, I think you will still be better off compared to Ebico
    If you take their gas too (which is significantly cheaper than Ebico) they will also give you a dual fuel discount of £21 :money:
    (Not sure if this applies after first year with them, but you can cross that bridge if/when you get to it)

I don't know why your address does not appear on their site. I've tried various postcodes for different supply regions and never found an issue.
    If your address is not there, then there is a box underneath
    "Can't find your address?"
    Click that, and you get a freeform to enter your address :)
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    It's hard to tell which of those things has already been factored in to the MSE estimate, still, cheaper is cheaper.

I had another play around with the site and came at the postcode from a different screen - it still told me it hadn't been able to quote me but this time it did suggest that they might not supply to my area (rather than implying that I must be typing with hooks for hands, as previously :)). There wasn't an option to put in my address.

(I'm in W2, if you are bored enough to want to see whether you can make it work? Perhaps I am just repeatedly putting it in wrong after all!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure