Best date to close Ebay shop

My last invoice was 16th November to 15th December.

I have completely lost interest in running my shop, I have around 60 multi-variation listings, all old stock that needs to go cheaply.

I want to close my shop and auction everything off, when is the best time to do it so that I get the most out of the shop fee I will pay this month?

Comments

• Rhymsta
    Rhymsta Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2018 at 3:40PM
    Just been through this and after the price for keeping a shop in mothballs went above £40 a month I said enough is enough!

So I closed my shop which was in a 'seller is away,' state not realising that as soon as I did so all my listing would go live and I started getting orders which I wasn't at all ready for... lots of trips to the depths of the loft etc....

With regard to closure timing the listings just carry on to the date they were originally set up for so it would depend where you are in the cycle for your listings if you've got them set up to automatically relist.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Rhymsta wrote: »
    Just been through this and after the price for keeping a shop in mothballs went above £40 a month I said enough is enough!

So I closed my shop which was in a 'seller is away,' state not realising that as soon as I did so all my listing would go live and I started getting orders which I wasn't at all ready for... lots of trips to the depths of the loft etc....

With regard to closure timing the listings just carry on to the date they were originally set up for so it would depend where you are in the cycle for your listings if you've got them set up to automatically relist.

A basic shop is £25 plus VAT currently so if you were paying £40 then something was wrong somewhere!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rhymsta
    soolin wrote: »
    A basic shop is £25 plus VAT currently so if you were paying £40 then something was wrong somewhere!

From Nov 2017 Invoice

Insertion Fees 0.12
    Advanced Listing Upgrade Fees 10.80
    Subscription and one time fees 30.00
    Total = £40.92

Same price in August, September and October even though I wasn't trading at all.

In July it was around £30.
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper

I thought all listings would be ended?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    From Nov 2017 Invoice

Insertion Fees 0.12
    Advanced Listing Upgrade Fees 10.80
    Subscription and one time fees 30.00
    Total = £40.92

Same price in August, September and October even though I wasn't trading at all.

In July it was around £30.

That doesn't alter the fact that a basic shop is £25 plus VAT. You had chosen to pay extra for listing upgrades and one extra listing, which accounts for the extra £10.12. The basic shop listing would have given you 250 BIN listings and 50 auctions and as long as you didn't sell anything and had removed the extras you would have paid just the basic shop fee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rhymsta
    soolin wrote: »
    That doesn't alter the fact that a basic shop is £25 plus VAT. You had chosen to pay extra for listing upgrades and one extra listing, which accounts for the extra £10.12. The basic shop listing would have given you 250 BIN listings and 50 auctions and as long as you didn't sell anything and had removed the extras you would have paid just the basic shop fee.

Not sure what you're getting at but I actually said keeping my shop in mothballs was costing me over £40 which was correct.

Anyway to help the original poster... no the listings didn't end which was my problem as I said.
  • Rhymsta wrote: »
    Not sure what you're getting at but I actually said keeping my shop in mothballs was costing me over £40 which was correct.

Anyway to help the original poster... no the listings didn't end which was my problem as I said.

A shop doesn't cost £40, that's the point. Your mothballing isn't down to a shop cost, but your extras.

Just to add, http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/questions/close-store.html says that [exclusive] BINS will end automatically - they do.
  • Rhymsta
    Never said the shop alone cost £40 what you call Extras were and parcel of the deal as far as I'm concerned.... just wanted to keep my listings untouched while I took a break which went on longer than anticipated for personal reasons.
  • Rhymsta wrote: »
    Never said the shop alone cost £40 what you call Extras were and parcel of the deal as far as I'm concerned.... just wanted to keep my listings untouched while I took a break which went on longer than anticipated for personal reasons.

You seem to be missing the point soolin was making. The shop cost is £30. In the second post you moaned about "Just been through this and after the price for keeping a shop in mothballs went above £40 a month I said enough is enough!"

Keeping a shop in mothballs and one certainly which had the listings switched off should have been at the £30 rate. You failed to remove the extras you were paying for, which ironically weren't worth having while your shop was switched in the holiday mode. For 3 months you were paying £40; £10 a month too much for a shop in holiday mode.
  • Back to the OP's actual question.

My accounts show the shop as being charged for the 16th thru to the 15th of the month.
    My available free listings etc show as the 1st to the 31st.

I will be cancelling my featured shop this month on the evening of the 15th and reverting to a basic shop on the morning of the 16th
    I expect all 1600 listings up to stay live until they time out after 30 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure