Rennovation, labourer pulled out cooker gas pipe

Options
Hi,

I paid some labourer to remove everything from a house during renovation. I noticed he pulled out cooker gas pipe. The mains gas pipe is off, but is this safe, see picture. Is there anything else I should do?

Hd5Rpcv

https://ibb.co/Hd5Rpcv

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes,get the gas pipe capped asap. It may be turned off but it is possible that it could be turned on by mistake the it could be far more than a renovation,more of a total rebuild.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I cant tell from your picture, because it doesn't show where the pipe was pulled from, but for a long time most cooker pipes have simply plugged into a socket on the wall, rather like the way old bayonet light bulbs worked.

These sockets are self-sealing.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    These sockets are self-sealing.

I think most Gas Safe people would say the self seal function is only for short term use, eg changing a cooker or cleaning behind. Not for long term interruption.

I'd get a gas person round to make it safe, and at the same time locate the pipe to where you'll need it in your renovation.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Davesnave
    Options
    I think most Gas Safe people would say the self seal function is only for short term use, eg changing a cooker or cleaning behind. Not for long term interruption.
    I agree, but we don't know that it has this type of outlet. Personally, I'd consider a mains shut-off valve taped in the closed position with a notice on it, sufficient to proceed with a renovation, given that services are some of the first things to be dealt with, as the rest of your post implies.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    mrbg07546 wrote: »
    Hi,

I paid some labourer to remove everything from a house during renovation. I noticed he pulled out cooker gas pipe. The mains gas pipe is off, but is this safe, see picture. Is there anything else I should do?

That looks like the end that screws into a cooker, where is the other end ?

Davesnave wrote: »
    I agree, but we don't know that it has this type of outlet. Personally, I'd consider a mains shut-off valve taped in the closed position with a notice on it, sufficient to proceed with a renovation, given that services are some of the first things to be dealt with, as the rest of your post implies.

Then you would be considering wrong, the pipe must be sealed it is not good enough to close the valve & tape over it, a open ended gas pipe is reportable to the HSE
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options

I'd get a gas person round to make it safe, and at the same time locate the pipe to where you'll need it in your renovation.

Most gas safe people shouldn't say it's only for short term use, a baynot fitting is perfectly acceptable to be left in situ for as long as you want, now if you aren't going to be using a cooker/oven/hob in that location then you might want to remove it & cap the pipe but you don't have to

• Davesnave
    Options
    Then you would be considering wrong, the pipe must be sealed it is not good enough to close the valve & tape over it, a open ended gas pipe is reportable to the HSE
    OK I accept that should happen and it's the advice that ought to be given here.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most gas safe people shouldn't say it's only for short term use, a baynot fitting is perfectly acceptable to be left in situ for as long as you want, now if you aren't going to be using a cooker/oven/hob in that location then you might want to remove it & cap the pipe but you don't have to

I just remembered this thread, after I had my gas cooker disconnected this morning (I'm having a new kitchen installed, with electric cooker/hob).

The Gas Safe registered engineer said that the bayonet fitting doesn't need to be capped as it is designed to close off and be safe long-term ... hope he is right!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    He is..........

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure