PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What's the oddest thing your seller has left in your new home?

Comments

• Their !!!!!! collection in the airing cupboard
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    A massive saw, her passport, letters from her bank, her benefits, her boyfriends bank card and bags and bags of clothing. Very very weird especially as it was owned by her parents.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    In the attic of my first house, I found lots of watercolour paintings and all the paperwork relating to a previous occupant's case as a conscientious objector during WW2.

This was slightly puzzling, because the road was bombed and received a direct hit in 1942 resulting in total demolition. Perhaps he took his paperwork up onto the golf course, where most residents went during the short Blitz on our city.

Sadly, his artistic talent was about as good as his ability to defend the realm.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A pair of glasses was left in the flat I moved into. In the one I sold, I'd already arranged to leave the freezer then, too late, realised I'd forgotten to empty it of food!
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Our sellers only had the house 15 months before selling to us, the lady before them had a cat... WE found the half a mouse behind the cooker....
    They also left us a creepy stuffed Captain Hook teddy in the loft (which was one only thing left in there), a rather rusted (but once cleaned, useful) chimnea and a gym bench, although he took the punchbag and weights he left the bracket and bench.
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Not necessarily previous owner, but I found a mummified bird (absolutely no decomposing) behind an original skirting board of a 100+ year old house. It is was in an internal wall, so only way it could've got there was during construction... thought it was a statue at first
  • A copy of the 1969 Melbourne (Australia) Telephone directory.

The house was in Manchester (England). After I threw it away some mentioned that it might have contained the telephone number of Ronnie Briggs, the great train robber, as he lived on the run in Melbourne at that point.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Previous tenant left some tiles, window blind, a very useful bucket and mop in the outbuilding along with a box of junior championship trophies. Also in the flat itself, some wood polish, two sponges, lavender airspray and a fossilised cat turd under the kitchen unit. Delightful.
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    An original signed photo of Paddy McGuinness which we sold for £10 after not being able to give him away at a car boot sale!
  • DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The original estate agent's brochure from 1910 when the house was built under the stairs.

Commerative newspapers from Queen's wedding when carpets were put down.

Then Princess Margaret's wedding newspapers when nylon carpet was put directly on top of the previous carpet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure