2017 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I think the voucher is a gift and not part of your budget. Also, he has bought the DVDs for you already - just leaving the content selection up to you, so definitely outside of the rules you set. Select, order and enjoy!
    Got up this morning thinking much the same thing - only to discover it was still dropping in price. Checked it a few times during the day, and still dropping. Checked it as I finished work and discovered it was my last opportunity to get at a brilliant price as someone else had bagged themselves a copy! Had I checked even a few minutes later the probability is that it would have gone up by at least £3, which is what happened after I snaffled the last cheap copy :eek:

It's a full TV series, and I'd be prepared to pay up to £5 for it - though prefer to be closer to £4. Managed to get it for £2.19, so I'm a happy bunny :D
    Cheryl
  • babes21
    babes21 Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:,

I've read through the entire thread this evening and have found all of your posts motivational. I'm not in debt, apart from my mortgage but have always read and posted in the DFW board. I would love to join in on this challenge.

I'm currently 8.5 months pregnant and am due to go on Maternity Leave in just a few weeks. We're having quite a bit of work done on our house at the moment, that combined with Maternity Leave I definitely need to be tightening the purse strings.

I'm currently de-cluttering our house and it's made me realise how many items I do not actually need.

My aims so far are:

* EBay/give to charity/take to the tip all of those unwanted items
    * Do the grocery shop online, popping into the supermarket and spending £20-£40 a time and hardly buying any meals for that week is ridiculous. I've done this successfully in the past so need to get back on it.
    * Meal plan
    * Only buy items which I really need
    * Reduce Sky bill (I don't really watch this but hubby insists he wants this to stay).
    * Reduce mobile phone bill. I'm stuck on my tariff until September when my contract ends, but hopefully I will still be able to reduce this a little.

I think that's it for now, I look forward to reading everyone else's updates and will definitely be posting my own.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 January 2017 at 1:35PM
    This month seems to be going alright. For the first time since I have been doing this challenge, I have now started to put the monthly food/household money into an envelope. Hopefully, this will help me. I had my LBM this year regarding this.

I have also been thinking twice about replacing shampoo etc until I really need them. I did buy in bulk what women need each month from an ethical website. Did save money by buying in bulk. Saved 20% on the price individual packet. Could have got free delivery and for it to be delivered in 5 working days. As there are a few appointments I need to take my Mum to, so paid £5.95 for next day delivery. Whatever money I saved can justify the cost for delivery.

Saved a small amount of money for the home contents insurance - £8.80.

Went for a guided walk on Saturday in London, with someone who organises them through a local Church off his own back for a group of people who want to attend. There were 7 of us that attended. Does not charge to go on them, but we pay own travel and bring own lunch. They usually stop for a hot drink, but I did not buy a drink. Had brought my own flask of tea. Have put my name down for 2 free study days at 2 different Churches - one Church of England and one Catholic. Have to bring own lunch, but tea/coffee will be provided.

Have had the heating on quite a lot due to it being too cold. My Mum is elderly so she needs to stay warm. She gets the cold weather payment and said she will help with the electric bill when it is due. We have just electricity in the flat.

Been achieving quite a few NSD's this month. Still awaiting to start the temp job, but there is still paperwork to be sorted out. Have applied for a permanent job, which closing date is next Wednesday.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    babes21 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :wave:,

I've read through the entire thread this evening and have found all of your posts motivational. I'm not in debt, apart from my mortgage but have always read and posted in the DFW board. I would love to join in on this challenge.

I'm currently 8.5 months pregnant and am due to go on Maternity Leave in just a few weeks. We're having quite a bit of work done on our house at the moment, that combined with Maternity Leave I definitely need to be tightening the purse strings.

I'm currently de-cluttering our house and it's made me realise how many items I do not actually need.

My aims so far are:

* EBay/give to charity/take to the tip all of those unwanted items
    * Do the grocery shop online, popping into the supermarket and spending £20-£40 a time and hardly buying any meals for that week is ridiculous. I've done this successfully in the past so need to get back on it.
    * Meal plan
    * Only buy items which I really need
    * Reduce Sky bill (I don't really watch this but hubby insists he wants this to stay).
    * Reduce mobile phone bill. I'm stuck on my tariff until September when my contract ends, but hopefully I will still be able to reduce this a little.

I think that's it for now, I look forward to reading everyone else's updates and will definitely be posting my own.

Re Sky, yesterday I rang Sky ad asked if there was anyway I could reduce my bill as I was struggling to pay it. Lovely helpful young man gave me a discount of £30 for this month and £17.50 a month off for next 10 months, will save me around £200 this year.
    Slimming World at target
  • babes21
    meg72 wrote: »
    Re Sky, yesterday I rang Sky ad asked if there was anyway I could reduce my bill as I was struggling to pay it. Lovely helpful young man gave me a discount of £30 for this month and £17.50 a month off for next 10 months, will save me around £200 this year.

Result :j, I'm going to give them a call today, fingers crossed.
  • meg72

Hope it works for you, let us know how you get on.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72

Slimming World at target
  • babes21
    meg72 wrote: »

Unfortunately I couldn't get through as I didn't realise that the account is held in my husbands name :mad:. I will get him to call this evening or tomorrow. I will have to keep on reminding him mind as he isn't always on the ball as I.

I joined the MSE energy switch a few months ago, the best rate was for British Gas who I already held an account with so I made the switch. Although upon checking my bill last month I noticed that they were still charging me the previous rate in which I was already paying. I thought that it automatically switched but apparently not. The advisor has now switched my payments to the new rate but this won't take effect until March.

I've also reduced my mobile phone bill. I'm stuck in a contract until September, where i will then switch to sim only. I only managed to reduce this by £4.00 per month by getting rid of an unwanted data bolt on but every little helps eh.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Also this month I donated a carrier bag of things to a charity shop and took some things to be recycled to the recycling centre.

I had a small amount of euro coins that I had for ages. Had found out that there is money exchange machine in a train station so took them there. Went through this station on way to a free training session, so made use of the amount used on my oyster card for travel. Decided for now not to pay the £300 annual membership for the six training/networking sessions. At times I have used this training company for the conferences that they do which includes four 1 hour workshops. Might not do the conference this year.

Did order a couple of books using some free vouchers I got. Am hoping they will arrive tomorrow.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Frizzlef
    Frizzlef Posts: 334 Forumite
    Welcome Babes21! ��
    Another NSD for me today. Walked the kids to school both ways and then spent the day painting the living room. It was time for the first coat of colour to go on. It looks lovely! �� got some more patching up to do then I can finish off the first cost and add the second at the weekend. Two weeks until the new carpet comes!
    Tomorrow I am taking dd for her swimming lesson. Will be back about 11. Then sister in law has said about a catch up so I have invited her here for lunch so I don't spend any more money!
    Ran out of ham but not going to the shop. She will have to have cheese or tuna!!
    Grocery challenge- feb 2015- £133.07/£250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport