Delayed Car

Hi all,

So just need a bit of advice.

I ordered a new Polo GTI+ (new shape) with the only extras as paint and upgraded wheels on 10/02/2018 - I was told by the sales rep that I would likely receive the car in May but there was a chance I could even receive it at the end of April. I put a deposit down and was given my documents that had the estimated delivery date as 01/05. Downloaded the tracking app and my order was accepted something like a week later. It then moved to stage 2 which is 'with the factory'.
I didn't receive any communication from my sales rep until I decided to contact him on 03/04 as the app was still saying it was at stage 2 with no build week confirmed (VW's FAQ says a car is normally built four weeks or so after a build week is confirmed so + the time it takes to be shipped from South Africa I didn't see anyway it would arrive in May!)
I got a call from the manager who apologised and put me with the sales rep I bought my current car from. He kept in touch but advised me there was no confirmed build week but there was a provisional one of WK22. If the car were to get this build week I worked out I probably wouldn't see the car until at least August - frustrating enough!
However now, the manager called me yesterday to inform me Volkswagen is closing their factory until 06/08/2018 and I now might not receive my car until March 2019!! Some 56 weeks after placing the order!
I don't really want to cancel it because I've wanted this car for so long but surely this is unacceptable? Would I be entitled to demand some kind of compensation etc? Even though I don't want to cancel it, would I actually be entitled to do so should I want to?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post!

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2018 at 2:45PM
    You're not entitled to anything I'm afraid other than to get your deposit back. Speak to your dealer and remain calm, they may be able to work something out for you. BTW factory close downs in August are completely normal, not just in automotive but many industries, and generally coincides with the move to the following model year.
  • deliville
    deliville Posts: 5 Forumite
    I just feel I was misinformed - no one mentioned at any time a factory closure until yesterday - I had no idea factories did this. I know it's not the dealers fault but they seem quite evasive and just keep saying sorry and they don't know what's going on.
    I've read quite a few posts like this about VW and I'm really disappointed! I could have lived with the August arrival but next March?!
    Although I'm not entitled to anything do you think they would do anything as a good will gesture?

Thanks for your reply!
  • neilmcl
    deliville wrote: »
    Although I'm not entitled to anything do you think they would do anything as a good will gesture?
    If you don't ask you don't get.

Also, you might want to ask them if your particular car, albeit with possibly different options, is currently available in stock. If, for example, you're flexible on colour they may have one available straight away.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    If you don't ask you don't get.

Also, you might want to ask them if your particular car, albeit with possibly different options, is currently available in stock. If, for example, you're flexible on colour they may have one available straight away.

^^^^
    This... if you would accept a different colour there may be one already at port of arrival or another dealer that they could dealer transfer & get to you earlier.

Speak to the sales team.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Why do you want to stay with a car company who are messing you around so much? Over a year for a bog standard car is crazy.

Lots of other good cars out there - get your money back and look elsewhere.

Or just take one that's in stock.
  • bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Please guys when giving advise make sure it's correct.!!!

Deliville,VW offer a a free hire car if your factory order is delayed excessively and it's called mobel speak to the supplying dealer or even VW customer care department.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    bigbulldog wrote: »

Deliville,VW offer a a free hire car if your factory order is delayed excessively and it's called mobel speak to the supplying dealer or even VW customer care department.

That seems too good to be true.

will VW hire a car to the OP for nearly a year.?
  • neilmcl
    bigbulldog wrote: »

What was wrong with advice of "Speak to your dealer and remain calm, they may be able to work something out for you"!
  • deliville
    deliville Posts: 5 Forumite
    When I bought my current car in 2016 VW did lend me a brand new Beetle for a week as I was selling my car and would be without. But like photome said, surely not for a year?

Robatwork - The thing is I've wanted this car for a while and part of the deal is me part exchanging my current car, so my deposit isn't big enough really to go anywhere else.

This car and model isn't even out yet, they're supposed to be in the UK for this month, with what's going on with my order would there even be any in stock?
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    deliville wrote: »
    When I bought my current car in 2016 VW did lend me a brand new Beetle for a week as I was selling my car and would be without. But like photome said, surely not for a year?

Robatwork - The thing is I've wanted this car for a while and part of the deal is me part exchanging my current car, so my deposit isn't big enough really to go anywhere else.

This car and model isn't even out yet, they're supposed to be in the UK for this month, with what's going on with my order would there even be any in stock?

You would have to get your sales person to speak to their sales admin who will be able to check stock across the country.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business