Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Comments

• I moved house a year ago, same size of house yet the cost of my gas usage has went through the roof, I was with Sainsburys at my previous address and changed to British gas when I moved, how can heating the same size of house cost at least 5 times more
  • Missko
    Missko Posts: 253 Forumite
    Scottish Power have been horrendous. I tried to switch to Eon in October but SP keep "taking back" my gas supply.

As it stands, I'm being billed by both SP and Eon and have had to start a new thread on here about it.

I rue the day I ever listed to Martin Lewis about how easy it was to switch supplier!

I've even been to ofgem and nothing has happened!!
    Credit Card £4350 @ 0% until October 2015
  • pvogue
    pvogue Posts: 7 Forumite
    Seems like I will be moving away as the price hike is about to hit, just need to find out if my recent smart meters will work with Coop as they would save me around £250 annually. Not had any other issues really apart from wanting payment within days when I dont even have the bill in my hands!
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Missko wrote: »
    Scottish Power have been horrendous. I tried to switch to Eon in October but SP keep "taking back" my gas supply.

As it stands, I'm being billed by both SP and Eon and have had to start a new thread on here about it.

I rue the day I ever listed to Martin Lewis about how easy it was to switch supplier!

I've even been to ofgem and nothing has happened!!

To be fair: Martin Lewis was correct about the ease of the switching process for energy supply customers. What he can never foresee is just how well a particular supplier might play its role in that process.

As to contacting OFGEM, that's actually a waste of your time. OFGEM is a regulatory agency to which energy supply customers have no direct access. What OFGEM does is receive information on a daily basis from the Energy Ombudsman service in regard to those consumer complaints which the OS thinks should be kicked up the ladder for attention.

Obviously, there are a number of problems here, not the least of them being just how efficient and effective the Ombudsman service actually is. The evidence seems to suggest that it's neither. The same criticism can be leveled at the regulator, which has always been too slow and too supine in its dealings with the energy companies.

That, however, is the only remedial process which exists. To follow it, it's necessary to begin at the beginning, with a formal letter of complaint to the energy supplier itself. Don't make the mistake of wasting time and energy on a phone call. Don't even complain via email. Post the letter of complaint via Royal Mail Next Day delivery as it's a certified service. (Do NOT use Royal Mail 'Signed For'. It's useless as a means of ensuring proven delivery and therefore, a waste of money.)
  • mrajb
    mrajb Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    This is my review of Scottish Power on Trust Pilot:

** Update - my balance is now £1675 in credit and Scottish Power didn't call at the agreed time so that I could discuss my complaint.
    Do you really want to use this company to supply your electricity?!
    I'm also now very concerned because Scottish Power has deleted details of my energy usage from May 17 - is this to manufacture a higher bill? Additionally, I can now no longer access any energy usage details for the entire time that I've been with Scottish Power - does this sound like something that a reliable and trustworthy company would do?

Having seen the amount of credit in my account increase every month, I called last week to ask for the £1400+ of my money that they have to be refunded as I was sick of Scottish Power getting interest on my money! I was told that I would be contacted on Monday to confirm the refund or be updated on the status of the request. (Request to be paid back my money - I'm changing accounts because they're so bad but even so, surely they plan to pay me the balance of my account, don't they?! It really isn't a request!).

Fast forward to Monday and there's no promised phone call and Scottish Power still have nearly £1,500 of my money. Perhaps they think that if they keep quiet then I'll forget that they owe me so much? I called today (Tuesday) and guess what? I was told to expect a phone call on Thursday to discuss my complaint. I'm not complaining - I just want to switch accounts and get my money back. Things have gone much further than a simple complaint so help me switch and give me my money back!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We have recently purchased a new home: I was with Scottish Power for just 2 days before my transfer went through. I called them on the day that I moved in with my details and meter readings. Six weeks after the transfer of supply, I sent them an e-mail asking for an update on my Final Bill. The e-mail included details of my meters (MPAN/MPRN and the industry Agreed switch Readings). They responded by asking for details of the previous owner which I provided. This was a property developer as the house is new build.

Today, I have just received an e-mail from Scottish Power suggesting that I am responsible for all charges from the 23rd March unless I provide them with a tenancy agreement. You might have thought that meter readings of 00003 and 00039 on switch might have given them a clue that the property was under construction.

I have just called CS and the lady that I spoke to agreed that their e-mail makes little sense as it lacked a key detail. She said that my property is showing on their system with a customer name of S. Homes! I have suggested that if that is the case then they should send S. Homes the Final Bill. My developer can then provide evidence that the property was sold on. I sense that this one has some distance to run. It’s the last time that I try to be proactive.
  • Hengus:

In haste. As you were so helpful to me on an entirely different MSE thread, I'm delighted to take this opportunity to thank you (again) for that assistance and to offer the following quick advice:

(1) Our own not inconsiderable experience of Scottish Power demonstrated it to be a dysfunctional business which under a less conciliatory regulatory regime would and should have been stripped of its UK operational licence long since;

(2) Telephone conversations with any Customer Service representative -- be it Scottish Power's or that of any other utility -- have No. Evidential. Value. Whatsoever;

(3) Please see (2). Though I have repeatedly stated this on threads such as this, other MSErs seem unable or unwilling to take the slightest notice. Hopefully, your own self-preservation instincts are stronger;

(4) Any and all communications with Scottish Power should be by email ONLY. CS conversations are meaningless and, in the event of a complaint, count for nothing at all in a final adjudication (or, as in our case, what to us seems to have been the consolidation of our situation within a referral from the Ombudsman Service to OFGEM itself);

(5) Email documentation is legally valid and legally credible. CS phone conversations are not -- even if you record them yourself;

(6) Any formal complaint to Scottish Power must be sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery, a record of the cost of which must be retained so that it can later be claimed back in the complaint settlement and compensation award. An online complaint isn't worth the screen time expended;

(7) Best of luck.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    hybernia wrote: »
    Hengus:

In haste. As you were so helpful to me on an entirely different MSE thread, I'm delighted to take this opportunity to thank you (again) for that assistance and to offer the following quick advice:

(1) Our own not inconsiderable experience of Scottish Power demonstrated it to be a dysfunctional business which under a less conciliatory regulatory regime would and should have been stripped of its UK operational licence long since;

(2) Telephone conversations with any Customer Service representative -- be it Scottish Power's or that of any other utility -- have No. Evidential. Value. Whatsoever;

(3) Please see (2). Though I have repeatedly stated this on threads such as this, other MSErs seem unable or unwilling to take the slightest notice. Hopefully, your own self-preservation instincts are stronger;

(4) Any and all communications with Scottish Power should be by email ONLY. CS conversations are meaningless and, in the event of a complaint, count for nothing at all in a final adjudication (or, as in our case, what to us seems to have been the consolidation of our situation within a referral from the Ombudsman Service to OFGEM itself);

(5) Email documentation is legally valid and legally credible. CS phone conversations are not -- even if you record them yourself;

(6) Any formal complaint to Scottish Power must be sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery, a record of the cost of which must be retained so that it can later be claimed back in the complaint settlement and compensation award. An online complaint isn't worth the screen time expended;

(7) Best of luck.

Thanks - it sounds as if I may need it.

From SP: Quote Having checked the records as I can see that the period of 29th March 18 to 26th July 18 is in a different name, hence, I would request you to provide the sale deed so that we can amend our records as the tenancy period involves more than 1 year Unquote

Going forward, I do not intend to provide SP with anything as it is not my job to prove that I wasn't responsible for charges when they have my Developer's name on the account file. I confess that I have never come across this type of situation before, and we have moved home 26 times in 48 years. Normally, one moves in and provides contact details with meter readings and the account is set up. The previous owner/tenant is then final billed against the date and readings provided. If they disagree, then they cry foul. My Developer has also confirmed that my details and the handover meter readings were passed by them to SP in early August.

I will now just let this one run. It will be interesting to see what they end up billing me for - and when. I have put the £5 or so that I owe them into a safe place.
  • Out-of-date databases are the bane of the energy industry and are known to be so. Energy companies should long since have ensured that such inept record-keeping was put to rights, but they haven't bothered nor has the energy regulator, either. (But then, expecting anything of the incompetent OFGEM is expecting far too much.)

We are in the process of switching from our existing supplier to Bulb Energy. The switch has been delayed because Bulb could not find our accurate address, despite the fact that we have lived here for 12 years as the first purchaser of this new-build construction.

At attempted Bulb sign-up, we were invited to select our address from a postcode drop-down list which featured this gibberish:

Landlord Supply Plots 1-19.

That entry clearly dates from 13 years ago, at which time the location where we live was under construction and the developer -- as 'landlord' -- was installing utilities connections to each property.

Development here was concluded in 2006, at which time the developer/landlord ceased any and all connection with it.

Bulb has blamed the accuracy of the energy supplier database it is using and has promised to sort out the mess. Unlike Scottish Power, however, it has not sought personal data from us, nor should it have done: confirmation of our correct address exists on every single database used by every single commercial business in the UK. . .

Except the energy industry's own idiotic database, with -- in our case -- its 'plots' and its 'landlords'.

Scottish Power is a major energy supplier (sadly) in the UK and has enough clout to deal with the serious deficiencies in the database it is choosing to use. You are entirely justified in telling it to sort out a situation that though not of its own making is, nevertheless, the energy industry's problem overall. Not yours.
  • So much for switching energy suppliers easily :-(
    I bit the bullet and changed from Scottish Power to SSE.
    My Scottish Power account was in credit (£120) and frankly I was expecting a refund. However, I received a final bill telling me my Electricity was now at

a balance of £0 but that my Gas was £25 in debit (they used the credit to pay the Electricity leaving the Gas to pay).
    All well and good but disappointing especially when I saw that both the Electricity and the Gas were estimated even although I had sent both companies

the final meter readings. All strange because I actually even have a Scottish Power 'Smart Meter' installed which supposedly gives tham actual readings!
    A month into the new supplier, an SSE representative arrived to take a meter reading (as did I). This was swiftly followed by a letter from SSE advising me

that my meter was probably faulty as they hadn't received my final readings notification (tex'd and snail mailed...) and had used Scottish Power's

estimated figures to work out my first bill and that my meter must be under reading as the readings were under the estimated Scottish Power ones!
    You'd expect Scottish Power to now have sorted the mess but instead I am receiving letters threatening extra charges will be added to non-payment.
    Really miffed but don't know where to turn now to get this sorted. SSE have adjusted their bills to the confirmed readings and my readings originally sent

so potentially I am being asked to pay twice and also for energy not yet used.
    Sorry to rattle, any suggestions please?
    Thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure