Tupe transfer and equal pay

Hi all hope this is in the right section.

Worked at my company 12 years pay is £9.39 after aquireing a new contract we have tupe transfered some staff from there company to ours. Some of them are drivers same as me doing exactly the same job they get paid £10.56 an hour.

After reading the equal pay act 2010 am I right in thinking they will have to match the pay equally? Obviously I would write a letter to hr but would like to get an idea of where I stand. At the moment we aren’t getting it.

Thank you

Comments

• Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Is the reason for the pay difference just based on gender?
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    bradrock wrote: »
    After reading the equal pay act 2010 am I right in thinking they will have to match the pay equally?

No. Their pay will be protected, so they won't need to take a pay cut through no fault of their own. It doesn't work the other way round so you won't get a payrise by default.
  • bradrock
    bradrock Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nothing I can do then. Just seems unfair that they will get over a pound an hour more for same job.
    If they take on new drivers then which rate would they get?
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nothing I can do then. Just seems unfair that they will get over a pound an hour more for same job.

New drivers will get whatever rate the employer offers. People can be paid different rates as long as the reason for the difference is not discriminatory.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite

Now what do you think;).

Presuming you are in haulage, you can't get cheaper diesel or trucks than your competitors (presuming similar size), the only cost you can try and cut is wages sadly.

Downtons by any chance?
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You might find the new drivers pay protection is time limited and their pay will equalise after a year. This is a common clause in transport TUPE transfers.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Hi we have just been told we are going to get TUPE across to another company really concerned because they are not transferring us across on the same terms and conditions as they are supposed to.
    The company have told us they want it all sorted in 25 days time.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi we have just been told we are going to get TUPE across to another company really concerned because they are not transferring us across on the same terms and conditions as they are supposed to.
    The company have told us they want it all sorted in 25 days time.

If it's you being tuped then your terms and conditions will be protected, 'Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment)
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • it is me but we have been told all different things, hours of work will change we will miss out on bonus at work even though we have work 9 months of the year towards it. Other jobs i have carried out will seek to be transferred all in all we have more than 70 years experience in our jobs there are 5 people involved.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    No union, I suppose? I suggest you band together and pay for some legal advice..... TUPE is supposed to mean that - *protected* terms and conditions.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure