Electric cars

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I genuinely think there will be some market for range extending trailers

Most people would need to take a driving test to tow them. Basically anyone who took a driving test after 1997 who doesn't drive an artic would need to take a Category E test.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yeah there would possibly be some changes required to regulations (such as allowing an exemption for battery trailers on motorways only, or an exemption for emergency use).

It changed again in 2015 (IIRC) where you can tow anything as long as the total actual weight is under 3500kg, so a 1000-1500kg trailer on most normal sized cars would be allowed.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    People who passed their driving test after 1997 can still tow, but they
    are limited to a gross trainweight of 3500kg.

And its the car and trailers gross weights that count. Not the kerb or unladen weight.

Cars gross laden weight 2200, then it can tow a trailer with a gross laden weight upto 1300kg.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Battery trailers are never going to happen. Too heavy too expensive.
    And pointless, by the time they would be affordable you'd have a car with 400-500 miles range so what would be the point ?
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Rather than looking for a solution to the towing problem, perhaps we should simply rejoice at the prospect of the demise of the caravan.

Indeed. :D

Until Musk invents the Tesla Caravan :eek:
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just to say that the truck, which we've been unreliably informed, doesn't really exist, is now about to start making deliveries.

So expect lots of footage of the prototypes out and about in the wild.

Tesla’s new electric Semis make their first cargo deliveries

Tesla is about to make its first delivery with its all-electric Semi

A Tesla battery truck, delivering Tesla batteries for Tesla battery cars ..... nice little circle that.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Just to say that the truck, which we've been unreliably informed, doesn't really exist, is now about to start making deliveries.

I think I may have found an answer to my range and towing ability problem.

The $150k price tag even looks like good value when compared to that of a Tesla passenger car.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think I may have found an answer to my range and towing ability problem.

The $150k price tag even looks like good value when compared to that of a Tesla passenger car.

Funnily enough I've thought similar. Good value, great range, sports car like performance, and you could run your house of it, actually, you could probably run a medium sized business off of it.

If they really can deliver the 300 mile range model for that price and the specs promised (Elon has recently suggested they are going to beat the specs), then it's a diesel killer, especially in Europe.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But denial of the very real drawbacks,

Eh..? I've already said that they don't yet work for me as have others on here. I'm sure some people have been disappointed after range claims from car sales people, but 'twas ever thus. People are examining the situation closely and being very realistic in my view of the situation.

At the moment, if you go on the EV boards you'll find that for popular models there are very long waiting lists, which doesn't help those of us looking for S/H cars.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

So expect lots of footage of the prototypes out and about in the wild.

Tesla’s new electric Semis make their first cargo deliveries

Tesla is about to make its first delivery with its all-electric Semi

A Tesla battery truck, delivering Tesla batteries for Tesla battery cars ..... nice little circle that.
    Hi

Interesting that they'll have test vehicles on the road so quickly after the concept was first launched.

270mile one way trip is interesting too ... is this the 300mile range version, or the extended range version running up towards a future press release confirming a return trip on a single charge? ...

As for reports of cabs without loads being seen on the route between the plants, that makes sense in a testing environment when AI is being settled in & the route is being optimised for performance (gradients etc) to maximise range ... With the ability to run the vehicles in convoy to save energy, I'd expect the test vehicles to be operated together soon after the deliveries begin, in which case if they are 500 mile capable, a 540mile convoy return trip could be reported sooner than many would care to anticipate!!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure