PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build - snow in loft

In my new build during the last few days a damp patch appeared on the ceiling. Gone up into the loft and there is quite a lot of snow the length the whole house, following the vented ridges.

The builder has said there is no fault with the roof / ridges but it is due to the severe weather conditions experienced. This is also pretty much the wording in the warranty i.e. they don't cover severe weather conditions.

I guess my question is, can this be right? Most houses on my estate have had the same. Surely it just means they've used cheap vented ridges or incorrectly installed them? Also when they say they don't cover severe weather conditions, what does that actually mean, whats severe?

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The storms we've just had are very rare, I've seen a large number of people posting on facebook about snow in loft. To me its a non-issue, down to as they say severe weather - which is very rare.

If it was doing it in 'normal' snow conditions, or rain then fair enough.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Even in "severe weather conditions" a roof should have been designed/built so that snow (or rain) did not enter.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • C'mon - we (ie the average person in the street) have been reading this is going to happen for some years now.

Meaning - they should have known so much better than we do that this would happen...and planned accordingly...

On their head be it.:cool:
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Even in "severe weather conditions" a roof should have been designed/built so that snow (or rain) did not enter.

Agree with this.

There's a leak somewhere.
  • Same here, new build, damp patches on ceiling where snow got into loft. Several affected on my estate too.

Same lame 'extreme weather' excuse from builder's customer service.

truCido, who was your builder?

By comparison, our previous home never once admitted snow into the loft in 35 years. I have to agree with lincroft1710.
  • truCido
    truCido Posts: 33 Forumite
    Same here, new build, damp patches on ceiling where snow got into loft. Several affected on my estate too.

Same lame 'extreme weather' excuse from builder's customer service.

truCido, who was your builder?

By comparison, our previous home never once admitted snow into the loft in 35 years. I have to agree with lincroft1710.

It's Barratt
    Agree with this.

There's a leak somewhere.

It's the vented ridge tiles, they have holes all along to allow air to circulate. They are covered but it seems wind can blow snow back up and underneath!
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    The storms we've just had are very rare, I've seen a large number of people posting on facebook about snow in loft. To me its a non-issue, down to as they say severe weather - which is very rare.

If it was doing it in 'normal' snow conditions, or rain then fair enough.

Snow and wind "up North" isn't that rare is it? It's come through the ceiling and now I have big brown patches on the ceiling in a line across my house.
  • truCido wrote: »
    It's Barratt

Same here. We bought from them because they supposedly had a better reputation...

A watertight roof is seemingly too much to expect though.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If builders don't put vents in, then there can be quite severe problems with condensation in lofts. These days, in most situations, the loft should be breezy.

If they put vents in the ridges, then there is no condensation, but the sort of very fine snow we had recently obviously went right through the filters. Not sure, but it might well have gone through eaves vents too.

I had the same happen in a wood store I protected with layers fine nylon mesh across the doorway; straight through.

I dare say there are effective snow-proof vents in existence, just as there are ways to frost proof condensate drains on boilers, but people don't want to pay extra for things like that.

Where have we been reading about this, money? Must admit, it got past me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure