<<<out of cheese error>>>

Comments

• Mydmp
    Mydmp Posts: 28 Forumite
    Orange_Ena wrote: »
    Your food sounds amazing. I love reading diaries about becoming debt free or paying mortgages off that also mention food and recipes. Total winner for me :D

....... and me :)
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 March 2018 at 8:16PM
    :hello: hi mydmp and thanks. Oddly enough I used that slice recipe today. I have a few limes knocking about in the fridge (super 6 I think) so I made lime curd and used that in the middle instead of the jam, and added lots of coconut to the top crumble to make lime and coconut slice as I couldn't find quite what I wanted recipe wise. It worked really well but next time I would double the curd quantities. It would be nice with basic/value lemon curd too I think.

Trying to use up what we have and keeping food balanced is quite entertaining. Fruit toast and juice for breakfast both days so that was ok. Carrot sticks with bread and stuff for lunches. Yesterdays dinner had lentils, peas, carrots, peppers, onions, sultanas and tomatoes so that was ok. I am saving the last couple of potatoes, cabbage, carrots and frozen parsnips to go with pot roast beef tomorrow so I had to be a little more inventive for dinner tonight. The freezer is full of multiples of the same things but there are a few bits of salmon so I did this chilli ginger salmon served on a bed of this lemon and onion couscous which used up the last few tomatoes, mint off the window ledge, a couple of the (pre-christmas) shallots, a soggy orange from OHs work bag and one of the lemons. I used the home made stem ginger and syrup which worked really well. Nice strong flavours, and on reflection I could have sneaked some diced peppers in with the shallots for some extra colour. Clean plates all round, and of course the coconut lime thing for pudding. DS1 likes it so that's good.

Breakfast tomorrow will include the mushrooms, and baked beans so we are ok there. I could get some soup out for lunch which would add another portion.

Not sure how many potatoes there are, but we have had the tinned ones roasted before, if you add oil and some flavouring they are quite edible.

ETA also have remembered dried apricots in baking box so can do stuffed apricots with some of the Gorgonzola for snacking. Yum :)
  • redofromstart
    :hello: hello creditcardjunkie
    mummytogirls, I found a pack of mozarella lurking in the freezer too. We wouldn't want to run out after all.
    cumbria/INOD its been a lot warmer today fortunately, hope it was for you too
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Your food always sounds so good. You utilise what you have in stores so well :)

Have a relaxing evening.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Did you eat any of it? :p
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi redo - I’ve made a note of that lovely lentil loaf recipe of yours and am going to give it a try this week as it sounds delicious. Will also have a look at the budget cookbook.

I had to wander up to the little Co-op this afternoon - got my favourite lighter Lurpak spreadable on offer and some mince for my chili tonight - and managed to nab the last wholemeal loaf! My friend went to the little local Tesco yesterday and said there was no meat and hardly any veg!

I do hope the little pile of snow has disappeared from the inside of your kitchen door!:eek: It is definitely is less cold at our end today and the snow seems to be melting thank goodness.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Mydmp
    Mydmp Posts: 28 Forumite
    Have spent all afternoon and evening reading your diary from the beginning. Really good read and lots of delicious sounding recipes. Definitely going to be giving some of them a go. We tend to hoard food items so have lots of stores to use up.
  • redofromstart
    Thanks DIA
    Seaside the air vent for the boiler is in the back door, so its always cold there. I cleared the snow away in the end. Much warmer today, I'm actually taking layers off this morning.
    Greenbee - some of it :p
    mydmp I do like a spot of useful food hoarding if it makes good economic sense. I do try not to have more than three months worth of anything unless it was unmissable (pennies or free).

Busy maximising return on 'free' electricity Sunday with the plug in heaters, dehumidifier, DW, WM and TD on. No excuse to be cold this side of 5.

Breakfast made - scrambled eggs and mushrooms for me. The co-op mixed weight value eggs are huge this time which is a result. Sometimes they are tiny.

Beef defrosted for later, need to see if it looks ok for pot roasting otherwise I need to rethink the menu. Will make another lentil loaf - with cumin seed, turmeric, peppers and mushrooms this time.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,279 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I like the look of that lentil loaf, will have a go at it. I used to make the nut loaf from one of the threads on here (Weezl???) and it was delicious.

You're encouraging me to use up my stocks :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • redofromstart
    edited 4 March 2018 at 9:06PM
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    I like the look of that lentil loaf, will have a go at it. I used to make the nut loaf from one of the threads on here (Weezl???) and it was delicious.

You're encouraging me to use up my stocks :)

This one from cheap family recipes?

You can still see the whole site here: http://cheap-family-recipes.org/

I'm still trying to remember where the cheese and lentil one came from :o It might be this one actually. Or this one

Good job I bought more lentils :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure