Amex Platinum Hotel Bookings

Options
Hello Everyone!

I have the Amex Platinum card but the only thing I've made use of over the past year is the concierge (they helped me find a book that I was unable to).

I read about the hotel benefits and how you get certain tiers at certain hotel chains.

Could someone please explain how all that works? I am not currently enrolled in any airline or hotel memberships etc. Will I need to register with the hotels and if so how do they know I have the card etc.

I travel about 3-4 times a year for holidays, and it would be nice if I got a room upgrade or reduced rates etc because of the card.

Also I hear a lot about Amex fine hotels and resorts. I know there's a US website, but can't find a UK one for platinum. Is it best to phone Amex and book or is there a UK website?

:beer:

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My understanding is that you have to book through Amex Travel (i.e. you have to overpay for the booking in the first place - they're never competitive on price) then the applicable benefits get applied to the booking.
  • Openyoureyes
    Options
    So in other words its useless?
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    So in other words its useless?
    You'll have to do some sums to figure out whether it has value for you or not. Given you're talking about using it for holidays, do you ever stay in any of the chains included in the offer?

I'm not sure about the direct enrolment into higher tiers of hotel reward programmes, I can't find any details about how that actually works... But it may get you some rewards without booking through Amex.
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to enroll on to the club's through the Amex Web page. When logged in go into benefits directory and you can enroll into hilton, melia, spg (then status match to marriott) and two others.. This will give you elite status at these hotels. You can then book direct with them to achieve free upgrades etc

Amex fine resorts are a lot more expensive so you will need to factor in prices with the perks you are getting.
  • Openyoureyes
    Options
    So even booking directly from the hotel's website makes you eligible for a room upgrade (if available)??
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    So even booking directly from the hotel's website makes you eligible for a room upgrade (if available)??
    Yes.

If registered its pretty much automatic on check in. Additionally as an example, with Hilton, it includes a free breakfast too. When I booked a ridiculously cheap Hilton room for £25 recently the two of us got £24 of cooked breakfast between us for nothing.

Saved a trip to Wetherspoons.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes.

If registered its pretty much automatic on check in. Additionally as an example, with Hilton, it includes a free breakfast too. When I booked a ridiculously cheap Hilton room for £25 recently the two of us got £24 of cooked breakfast between us for nothing.

Saved a trip to Wetherspoons.

What Hilton status do you get with the Amex Platinum? Gold or Platinum ? I got a room upgrade on my last two bookings being Silver (via Barclaycard) but no breakfast
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    What Hilton status do you get with the Amex Platinum? Gold or Platinum ? I got a room upgrade on my last two bookings being Silver (via Barclaycard) but no breakfast

Gold.

It's "continental breakfast" officially but they've never kept me away from the dead pig buffet once I'm in the restaurant.
  • theburningcat
    Options
    There are 2 options for Amex Platinum card holders - book directly with Amex with certain perks (still generally more expensive than going direct) and book direct with certain chains and use your status upgrade.

You should first register with Hilton, Melia, Shangri-La and Starwood via Amex's site. When Starwood arrives, you should register for Mariott and connect that to your Starwood account so you get gold on both.

With Hilton, you get a space-available upgrade (~50% success rate in my experience), free breakfast ("continental" means nothing in this case), space-available late checkout (~50% success rate in my experience), free use of the gym/pool and sometimes a free drink at the bar. The other chains have similar perks but I'm unable to comment on success rates.

Generally speaking, it's best to book directly. Amex's own travel site resells Orbitz and there is sometimes a time lag or likely mistake, which can work in your favour sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure