Sky question - Cancelling and getting new contract

Hi, I have attempted a little haggle and got about 40% off but still not happy. I cannot really leave sky as we don't have an aerial which prevents me from going to Talk Talk BT etc so am reluctant to actually cancel. My question is as I live with my mum and the account is in her name, can I cancel her contract and get a new one in my name? So I get the new customer deals. We have the same surname?::eek:

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, I have attempted a little haggle and got about 40% off but still not happy. I cannot really leave sky as we don't have an aerial which prevents me from going to Talk Talk BT etc so am reluctant to actually cancel. My question is as I live with my mum and the account is in her name, can I cancel her contract and get a new one in my name? So I get the new customer deals. We have the same surname?::eek:
    It won't hurt to cancel and have a few days off . Cancellation brings the better deals and switch back on is instant if you really get desperate .

Sky assume that the household has the contract with them and not just the nominated person , so your suggested action may well not work, as you are not a new customer.

Also, as a new customer, you would have to take Q with it's new cabling needs/costs.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    It won't hurt to cancel and have a few days off . Cancellation brings the better deals and switch back on is instant if you really get desperate .

Sky assume that the household has the contract with them and not just the nominated person , so your suggested action may well not work, as you are not a new customer.

Also, as a new customer, you would have to take Q with it's new cabling needs/costs.

I disagree, when I was trying to save money when I was married Sky was in my name so I got my wife to phone up Sky & said I had left the home & that she didnt want to carry on thus giving 30 days notice. She then called up after 35 days saying that she wanted to take a new contract out as a new customer & sky obliged.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • asturdy2
    asturdy2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    sky don't do a credit check, you don't even need to use your real name.
    3.64KW system, aurora power one inverter, South west facing with no shading in Lancashire.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So lying is being recommended ?

People have reported and moaned about being caught out and ending up stuck in a contract at full price, when the deal is pulled.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    So I get the new customer deals.

Which particular new customer deal were you aiming for?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 March 2017 at 10:52AM
    Sky use the property address rather than name
    I tried the "name change" a few years ago and Sky were wise to it - they may be more willing to offer a discount, if you are close to the end of your contract !
    If you cancel mid-contract, they can (and may) charge you for your remaining months
    Also - avoid a Q box - Sky "own" them - so if you leave, you lose the use of it - to use as a "freeview" source, unlike the old HD box (which you get to keep)
  • asturdy2
    asturdy2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    I know people who have cancelled (out of contract), and re-joined in partners name to get sky Q plus new customer offers.
    3.64KW system, aurora power one inverter, South west facing with no shading in Lancashire.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,989 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    First decide what TV you want. If you just want the normal channels you would get with an aerial then ask Sky if you can go onto Sky+ TV, also can you make calls on mobile phones, if so cancel the call package.
    This will bring your bill down to around £25 a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure