Have you saved money? Want to tell the world?

Options

Comments

• Carbootycat
    Options
    When my radiators wouldnt heat up last year I rang the insurance to be told that I wasnt insured for central heating:confused: only the boiler was covered. As soon as it came up for renual I took Martins advice and looked up boiler and central heating breakdown cover. I got lots of quote's for the whole system cheaper than I had been paying for just the boiler. I rang this company up and told them I was canciling my policy with them. Lets see what we can do was the reply. He came back with a figure for the whole of the central heating lower than the cheapest quote. When asked why I hadnt been given this quote in the first place I was told they only gave cheeper quote when someone rang to complain or cancel. You know what to do. The RAC put my son and daughter on my policy when I rang to cancel. I have been with them since1980 but each year the premiums have gone up. I rang to ask why so high for just myself and OH. I know they have been a godsend to us when we have broken down they will also tow you to a garage another day when you arrange for your car to be repaired if they cant do it at the roadside. They couldnt lower the fee but put my son and daughter who own cars on my policy without extra charge. :money: Thanks Martin keep the money saving tips coming:beer:
  • estherg69
    Options
    Magazines are really expensive yet there are lots of free magazines available for nothing!

Beauty: Boots and Superdrup magazines tell you about the latest products and have good tips too

Cooking: Tesco, Somerfield and Waitrose magazines are full of recipes

Decorating: The B&Q magazine is great for this, as good as the ones that you have to pay for, and the products are all available at B&Q so you don't have to go around looking for them

Travel: get the magazine from the airline when you fly, they have usually routes and tips for the destinations they go to

Other: Source at Waitrose has really good articles, the weekend papers always come with great magazines, and most department stores have their own magazine too with the latest fashion sytles

No need to buy magazines! You can save yourself a few quid every year
  • mattie5
    mattie5 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    just a quick one to say thanks, yes i am a newbie but i have debanded my house from an e to d and got back 1000, lloyds credit card got 1000, mbna got £1100, still fighting back charges of 14,000 with lloyds and now with the ombudsman, GE money store cards of 2000 (sorry using a company to do this) enquiring now about mortgage exit fees and defult charges on previous mortgages and now just started on endowment compensation. full time job!
  • bettyspaghetti
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!:beer:
    We have just saved over £1000 :T using this website's template letter to reclaim mis sold PPI. Just in time for Christmas!!! We are so grateful for all the helpful information and wouldn't have this money without this site. Not to mention all the other saving advice, thank you SO much!!. I'm off shopping tomorrow armed with my money saving vouchers and lunch tokens!!!!
    Knighthood for Martin Lewis please!!! & a Big Kiss X from me!!! :kisses2:
  • Jerseygirl55
    Options
    Contacted a former mortgage lender and am awaiting a refund of £119.00 inc interest
    it took minutes to sort out using Martins advice,

great site off to look for more money saving tips

cheers

JG
  • victoriaplum1
    Options
    Dont really know where to start but know I have to get my finances sorted out for next year and this has inspired me to get cracking. Will def do the magazine thing and stop buying all these rubbishy celebrity magazines just cos I am bored (get Red and Your Home by subscription anyway so that should be enough) and mil gives me all her old house ones.sil gets loads of the others so shall ask her to keep for me rather than chuck them out. Will have to sort through all household paperwork and see where we can save and try to cut back on food and food wastage etc....if anyone has specific ideas I would love to hear them.....I have a 105k mortgage, 2k on credit card but that is about it, currently awaiting outcome of fiances bank charges claim for around 3.5k....but next year things will get very tight as another baby on way April and income going down by £800 a month. Never been a big saver or economiser and do probably waste a fair bit of money.....need to be more organsied and more strict with myself.
  • Adam75_2
    Options
    Im new to the site but the information that I have read so far realy helpfull.

Thanks guys.
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    saved over £60 on pressies thanx to this site...

£50 voucher at amazon from joinig qype
    £10 voucher off a tesco, when spent £40 in the sun newspaper

this really helped with the pressies
    with amazon my partner wanted a ipod, i thought they where too expensive, on amazon they where £162, with the 50 off, it cost me £112 that i didnt mind.

this year i have saved so much money , changing to talk talk, getting free sky sports, goin mystery shopping, money ff vouchers and codes.

this site has been great and highly addictive, i think as off 09 im goona starta diary with how much money ive saved thanx too all on mse and ,martin
    i will be debt free, i will
  • giggles_alot
    Options
    Firstly i love this site, My Mum thinks that Martin is my god (now ive saved so much money she is interested and set me on saving her money too.

Yesterday i dedicated a couple of hours to sorting out a decent price for my car insurance. I'm 23, female and 6 years no claims so i was quite impressived with renewal quote of £239. But decided to check around. Did a couple of comparison site quotes. Got a good price of £190 - saving £49. Then went through quidco - cash back £68. So if cash back is paid its a saving of £117 compared to renewal. 12 months insurance for £122 :j i was literally jumping up and down, my friends are so jealous.

And it took less than an hour, if i wasn't my own boss i'd be telling my boss my time is worth £120 per hour :rotfl:
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Screamer_2
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure how much I've saved just yet. This morning I took my poor little kitty to the vets to find she's been diagnosed with a condition she'll need treatment for for the rest of her life. I was distraught, but only because I know that being on benefits I struggle enough to buy her food, never mind spend £25 a month plus on medication for my little Maggie. After remembering a post from browsing this site, I entered details of the medication my cat requires and currently, I'll be saving over £13 a month on medication, for the rest of her life (she's approximately 9 years old) this site has also enabled me to keep my sweet little cat without worrying about medication for her! Thank you so much MSE, and the lady who kindly left the post about pet care!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure