2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Pipsmum
    Pipsmum Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2018 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Good morning all
    First week back at work done, and although it was only four days, and not too hectic, I've not done too badly. I've taken lunch from home every day, mainly HM soups, took in drinks, some HM cake, and my water bottle that I refil from the tap - no coffee or snacks bought, and money still in my purse. Dinners have been from the freezer and stores -I have actually remembered to take something out of the freezer each night to defrost in the fridge for dinner! (My normal routine would be to forget, and then call into the SM on the way home to buy something, and always come out with additional bits and pieces). So I'm feeling quite pleased with progress.
    I'm not plannign to go out today, so another NSD, so I'm off no to put dinner in the SC, then take down Christmas and but it back in the loft, and give the house a good clean - it will be good to get back to normal again.
    Wishing everyone a fabulously frugal weekend.
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    So I'm £18 up today! Forgotten that I'd ordered a toaster from Amazon in December, and after I missed delivery and they wanted me to pick it up I found one cheaper for £10 from Asda so I cancelled. Got am email today saying the refund been made. It's gone back onto my credit card so I won't use it as an excuse to spend more.
    Chicken pie FrankieM? Mmm, might make a turkey crumble with my.left over turkey. Pipsmum, well done for remembering to get the stuff of.the freezer, I'll have to do that tomorrow with my lamb.

I live minutes away from.am Aldi -I can feel your envy from here - one of the best things about my house move. :D
    I'm going to stop buying veg in until.I've planned what I'm having as I've seen too much unused veg go in the bin. Means I'll have less NSD days bit less waste and overall spend.
  • bustiblondilocks
    Options
    :) Whoohooo two no spend days in a row! Quite pleased with myself.
    Shredder arrived today... So looking forward to purging the clutter
    Year to date spend on non bills: £34.92
    Debts:
    1) overdraft £400
    2) overdraft £500
    3) S credit card £3150 min payment £101 pcm interest £37pcm
    4)T credit card £8108 min payment £200 pcm interest £128pcm
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FrankieM wrote: »

Chicken pie for tea tonight!! I'm so excited. I already had the filling made and in the freezer and the pastry is ready made (I've got out of making it successfully and have it so rarely...but , yes, I know ;) )

I honestly wouldn't feel guilty about buying pastry if you hardly ever have it Frankie. Even the ingredients cost something, and the pastry itself isn't expensive. I always make my own shortcrust pastry as I find it easy, have been doing it for years, and to be honest mine is better than bought. I do buy puff / flaky pastry and filo on the rare occasions I need / want those though, as they are far too much faffing about!
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD here but only because I am in bed poorly! Will catch up when the lurgy passes
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Evening,

I bought some cable ties from Amazon. I am desperate to make a rabbit cage. I did order a run but cancelled that and instead have bought the base (7.95) and going to re use things I have to make it tomorrow. They won't be shut in much, just in the mornings so I can get ready without falling over them. I am quite looking forward to making it.

I spent 30 quid in the pet shop. Food, treats and some new toys for the furries large (ish) and small. I try to do a lot of enrichment activities with them and now have a good supply of things to do.

Need to go finish putting the book shelf together. ugh.
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Cheshire: I don't frugal on my coffee!!! I'm a bit fussy about it so don't deny myself, I don't mind down sizing on most things but not my coffee!!!
    Spent £2.70 today so the total on food for January so far is £15.61 and treats £2.89, so not bad. I had more leftovers for dinner and poached eggs on toast for lunch, so will look in freezer and cupboards for tomorrow's meals, and make enough for a couple of days.
    On the frugalling front I have a towel that I'm going to cut down and make into cleaning clothes and a very small hand cloth and I've had a bit of a sort out in the craft room so I have an idea what I can make before I have to buy anymore wool or material.
    Hoping to sleep tonight as last night I only managed a couple of hours I'm not normally like this so I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting back to normal after Xmas.
    Anyway I'm off for a bit of a lurk, so I'll catch up tomorrow
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• sinkorswim2018
    Options
    ouch, £44.42 spent on text books that my daughter announced she needs. :[
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My dry-run of no spending days ended this morning while I was in the village - I popped into the store for milk, so that's £1.59. The savings took a bit of a hit when I paid my tax and insurance bill but I did win £25 on the Premium Bonds, which is where I save anything I don't want to inadvertently spend!
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Miss_D_Meanour
    Options
    Well the end of the first week in January has arrived and I've done 4 NSDs - 5 if today works out as planned. I bought balloons and ribbon mid-week for a leaving do at work, which was expected BUT yesterday I went to get milk and squash for the weekly tea & coffee morning and came out with unnecessary stuff for me. Less than £10 spent on frifferies but still annoyed. I know better then to go shopping hungry! My will power turns its back and leaves the building.

I've been looking at my finances for the year and trying to decide what I need to focus on. I think that what will work best for me is to get a month ahead of my bills and to do the same with the non-monthly bills and expenditures. Like many of you here, I also don't want to waste anything. So rather than setting a frugal budget goal, I'm going to make these three intentions my goals and use a frugal living approach to achieve them. If I use what I have first, be it food or toiletries or notepads and pens, challenge any discretionary spending and bring my own food and drink to work - I think I should reach them.

I know this is a little vague and my inner personal development coach (previous job) is telling me to get more specific, but I think in need to get through January and February (family stuff) first. So maybe I'll try for something more specific Q2.

I'm really enjoying checking in and reading how everyone is getting on. And yes I'm dead envious of anyone with an Aldi near by.

Hope you all have a peaceful Sunday.
    Miss DM
    LBM- June 2009 - 15 year plan started, Dec 2018 - time to review & refocus
    SPC12 #33 £210. Xmas 2019 - #15 £365 / £365 ... PAYDBX 2019 #23: £0 / £3,400
    MFW2019 #2: £6,999.67 / £8,000 MFiT-T5 start £95,352.52 - target £40k

No matter how far you go, you always take yourself with you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family