Fencing in communal garden

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this!
I recently moved into a first floor maisonette which is share of freehold. I'm in the process of becoming a director of the management company, there is one other resident (out of 6 maisonettes) who is the other director. There is a long history of all of the other residents not contributing any monthly contribution towards maintenance and only the two directors contributing despite repeated attempts to get the others to pay. This is what I have been told prior to moving in. I think 3 of the maisonettes are rented out.

I want to get a dog and have been told that I would have more chance if the communal garden were secure. The garden is accessed by an alleyway between the two buildings which is open and ungated, there is also a short fence on one side with a gap that a couple of the residents use as a cut through. In order to get a dog I would need to get higher fences on one side (the other sides are already adequate height) and put gates in where the gaps are. I am willing to pay for this myself (dependent on cost!) but I am wondering if anyone can advise on whether I need to get the permission of all of my neighbours regardless of whether or not they are contributing towards upkeep/maintenance? Ironically the neighbours that are not paying are the only ones that actually use the garden (they have children) while the cost of gardening/mowing the lawn comes out of the maintenance fund.

Comments

• Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 558 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I would check out what the terms of the management arrangement is lucycw - it'll state what changes can take place and whether pets are allowed.

Does the other Director of the Management Company have anything official you can look at?

Good luck!
  • I would check out what the terms of the management arrangement is lucycw - it'll state what changes can take place and whether pets are allowed.

Does the other Director of the Management Company have anything official you can look at?

Good luck!

We are the same as you thou we have all the flat pay a yearly rent and a monthly 30 quid a month to pay for any repairs and insurance etc etc. We are not allowed dogs it states in the freehold so i would check.
    About the other flats not paying. I'm also one of the 2 directors and when one went to sell we refuse to sign a form (Think it a form that we agree to let him go and the new owner take part of the the freehold management company.) until he paid her 1.9k bill which is 5 years of ground rent and bill. he soon notice he had to pay as they could'nt sell without our constant of land transfer.
    Someone got pay for the fire alarm check and building insurance, repaires etc etc. Dont think you can get a building insurance just for your flat...
  • lucycw
    lucycw Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thank you. I had all the paperwork when I purchased the property and it just says no animals other than domestic pets and doesn't say anything about the fencing, just that the lawn and gardens should be maintained. I actually now think that the fence is going to be too expensive for me as the garden is so large. I think I'd be looking at £1200-1500 to have someone put up a bigger fence on one side and put two gates in. I don't really want to pay that for a communal garden when I likely won't stay in this property long term. I'll have to go back to the drawing board!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure