Rejoined gym, give me some tips.

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Or more accurately, I guess it depends what Ryan means by 'often'.

I was using "you" in its indefinite sense, and that would include Ryan.
  • jasminum89
    jasminum89 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Since I don't have time or spare money to join a gym I use youtube. I don't have any machine at home, for a long time I didn't even have a proper shoes. But I managed to find great pilates videos that didn't ask for any equipment or special clothes. It was very helpful. Also when I felt very tired or lazy I had no excuse. I couldn't say oooo it's raining, I will stay home. No I just opened computer and exercised
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    First of all, it sounds as though the OP has got into a cycle of going to the gym - good!
    However, the current diet is pretty bad, so eating a meal (not too large) in the morning has to be a must. Fruit, nuts and cereals, wholemeal toast, poached eggs etc.
    As the OP has told us that they are obese, then running wouldn't be my advised option for cardio, it would be long (5 miles or more) brisk walks, or cross trainer/bike/rower in the gym.
    I wouldn't suggest any type of HIIT at this stage because we don't know the OP's state of health.
    I would also suggest staying away from heavy weights, and suggest that the OP trains for endurance by doing 3 sets of 15 to 20 repetitions of lighter weights. If the OP does this, then try to alternate muscle groups over the course of a week, and always exercise the big muscle groups (Lats, Pecs, Quads) first in the session after warming up, then the smaller groups (Biceps, Triceps, Calves etc).
    Always do a dynamic warmup prior to the exercise session - abdominal rotations, lunges, star jumps, squates etc, then always do static stretches at the end to offset DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) where lactic acid can cause muscle soreness for up to three days.
    Finally, get someone at the gym to give you a proper induction, where they will take you over all the equipment, show you how to use it correctly and safely, take personal details including those about any possible health issues.
    They should also ask you what you hope to achieve, how much weight you want to lose, how many times a week you want to attend the gym.
    They should also be able to create a program for you based on what they have seen you do during the induction.
    Good luck!

PS - I am a qualified fitness instructor.:)
    A number of earlier posters made this point too.

I was quite surprised that a gym would allow clients to use equipment without any demonstration or discussion on what they were trying to achieve.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    A number of earlier posters made this point too.

I was quite surprised that a gym would allow clients to use equipment without any demonstration or discussion on what they were trying to achieve.

I was very surprised as well, because every gym I have been a member of, both in London back in the nineties and down here in Kent, made new members fill out a PAR-Q form -Physical Activity Readiness Questionaire - and undergo an induction.
    This was one of the most important modules on our course, where we would make sure our inductee had completed the form correctly, and we would then take them through a full induction, explaining to them the different types of equipment, demonstrating correct technique, and most importantly keeping the client safe.
    Any gym which fails to do this, is probably leaving themselves open to legal action if there are any accidents.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 June 2018 at 5:07AM
    Options
    I agree with Pollycat and Andygb re induction.

However I wonder how 24/7 gyms handle this. For, example, here it appears that you can "opt out" of the induction

https://247fitness.co/terms-conditions

And I know that there is minimal/no supervision too. They seem to be pushing the liability heavily on to the member so they can save on staff costs.

ETA.

This is the one that has opened locally to me. Induction recommended and mandatory for under 18s and wheelchair users

https://www.thegymgroup.com/legal/the-gym-membership-rules/
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 June 2018 at 11:41PM
    Options
    Hi, well I have been going on and off 2 or 3 times a week for past month, did get into it but it was making me dizzy and sick going in the hot weather now its calmed im going far more.

I think the "free" personal trainer appointment will cover the induction, they call it free but they charged a £30 admin cost when I joined (I could of bypassed that online so I felt that sneaky) but also had a few emails stating I can get a free show around by the PT's anyway so a bit of a con.

Looking at website yep thats how they do it, they offer a "free" personal trainer sesssion but in reality its an induction, it comes across as a normal PT session as they stated a value on it equal to a normal PT session.

Its a Xercise4Less gym.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    If you haven't had the induction/free PT session then take it asap. You are in danger of injuring yourself if you aren't using the machines properly. They may give you a programme, too.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    If you haven't had the induction/free PT session then take it asap. You are in danger of injuring yourself if you aren't using the machines properly. They may give you a programme, too.

Thats why I am just using the treadmill and bike right now, I wanted to keep back doing any other equipment till I was more fit, and have been swamped recently, the times I go to gym are not set so difficult to pinpoint a time to have the appointment.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    So, do you know the treadmill is set right for your level of fitness?. Is the bike set up correctly for your height - and any physical problems you may have. For example, I have issues with my back and I need my spin bike (as advised by the teacher) to be more narrow than others

Got to be honest with you, dekaspace. You do seem to have a whole lot of reasons for not doing things. This is a one off which could help, immeasurably, with your fitness, health etc. Make an appointment and stick with it. It may take you out of your routine /comfort zone - it will be worth it!
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think thats looking at it the wrong way, I wanted to go to session when I am at my peak energy as in not after a long day at college (Get up at 7 not home to 6) Not make a booking when im unsure I can make it on time due to other commitments etc, right now I go at random purely due to availability like I was at relatives last week for a few days, had job interviews one week.

I haven't on purpose done anything more risky, and im minimising risk by the times when it was scorching hot the other week minimise time there, one day was so hot even with every window open in gym I was stopping myself from fainting, in the end instead of 1 workout I went downstairs and spent 10 minutes on bike, waited 15 minutes then went back upstairs when it cooled a little, spent 10 on treadmill, then went to another bike spent 10 on that, then a cool down on treadmill for 5, another day when it was cooler and I went earlier I spent over a hour (not counting breaks) between bike and treadmill as the cooler air made it easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure