Is a non direct flight worth it

13»

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I have done many non direct flights.

usually benefit by clearing customs at first point of entry in to the USA, this obviously doesnt apply to you.

Most times these are ok but there is more chance of luggage going astray ( it has happened to us)

more chance of a late arrival due to missing a connection ( also happened to us on more than one occassion)

I would still do it to save the money but wife is fed up with the hassle
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Flying via Iceland is a nice stop for the USA. The flight times are relatively short and its a good opportunity to stretch your legs and refresh. Reykjavik airport can be quite chaotic as all the EU-US flights arrive and depart together for the hub operation. However it's not too bad. Food is good and fairly well priced, if you have time, leave the secure area as there if far more choice in the main food court. Just remember to allow time to get back through security.

Icelandair are a decent airline to fly with, soft drinks are free but you pay for alcohol. They also don't serve free meals, so pre-book one if you want one, or just eat well before the flight and grab something in Reykjavik.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Really? I'd be interested to know if that's true
    It doesn't appear to be one of the pre-clearance locations
    https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

Was maybe just a trial then - I was doing some work there 2-3yrs ago as they were opening up the routes and I recall it being one of the selling points used.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've flown indirect to South America several times as direct flights are often very expensive. But I only do it if the saving is substantial - for £120 I think I'd rather fly direct.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Flick216 wrote: »
    I decided to go for it - £120 can get me extra legroom seats and some duty free JD :rotfl:

As other posters have said, I might have gone for a stopover, but on the way back. I've done Icelandair to Canada a couple of times, and the return flight can have you in Keflavik for 3-4am local time, and then trying to stay awake a couple of hours to get on the next flight.

Also make sure you were comparing like with like, as Icelandair have started offering hand luggage only fares, which are the ones that show as a headline figure.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Icelandair are shocking so I wouldn't.
  • Flick216
    Flick216 Posts: 8,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gosh - lots of different opinions!

I don't have the time to do a proper stopover sadly - it's literally just 2 hours at the airport.

It's done now so I will have to live or die (I hope not literally) by my choice.

£120 is a nice bit of extra spending money and at least I can legitimately say I have been to Iceland :D
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
  • MiraculousM
    MiraculousM Posts: 323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You probably booked too early for a flight to Philly.. as someone that booked flights all the time there, there will be some sort of sale and you should be able to get them for about £450 direct.

I would never stop as it adds too much and it is not worth the extra money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure