DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MK-4 wrote: »
    Yes, both on the mortgage. The mortgage finishes in 2024 and the plan is to be debt free by or before then.

When I spoke to SC they initially gave a 4 year period, but I expect this may be longer as my budget details are finalised. They did say the wife could not be on the DMP because she is self employed.

Thanks for your help and would be very pleased to hear of any other options.

Probably DMP your best bet then, was thinking DRO for partner, maybe IVA for you, but if you can clear in 4/5 years with DMP, go for that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, both on the mortgage. The mortgage finishes in 2024 and the plan is to be debt free by or before then.

When I spoke to SC they initially gave a 4 year period, but I expect this may be longer as my budget details are finalised. They did say the wife could not be on the DMP because she is self employed.

Thanks for your help and would be very pleased to hear of any other options.

We are in a similar position. I am 60 and mortgage finishes in 2025. We have £45k left to pay and have had to drop payments making it look like years before we are DF. However the plan is to pay more if/when we can and also now that we have gone self managed, to try and save and get some good F&F's.
    Luckily my OH is 12 years younger so at least he will still work full time for a bit after I retire....not that I have any plans to retire yet.
  • MK-4
    MK-4 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    We are in a similar position. I am 60 and mortgage finishes in 2025. We have £45k left to pay and have had to drop payments making it look like years before we are DF. However the plan is to pay more if/when we can and also now that we have gone self managed, to try and save and get some good F&F's.
    Luckily my OH is 12 years younger so at least he will still work full time for a bit after I retire....not that I have any plans to retire yet.

Very similar situation to you. Also no intention to retire, just trying to find some sort of business that can be done (from home) when my retirement is forced on me.
    My intention is to follow something like you are doing, SC for a couple of years then self managed to try to reduce the DF date.
  • KID77
    KID77 Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening, hope everyone is well.
    We have officially gone self managed from 1st Feb which is alot less daunting than I thought. As my OH is being made redundant, I wrote to them all offering £1 token payment for 3 months and also put a CCA request at the bottom of each letter.
    Most of them ignored the CCA request but accepted token payment so I will chase on the CCA request in a few weeks.
    However, the fabulous news is that 3 x MBNA debts which were sold to PRA Group as soon as defaulted have come back as unenforceable, this is approx £12k of debt. They have attached paperwork which they say is the paperwork they have been sent so far and based on this its unenforceable blah blah blah. As they have some sort of paperwork which they obvioulsy realise is legally useless, I assume no other paperwork will turn up....
    I would like to get the 3 accounts closed so plan to write to them offering £100 or something as final settlement.
    Just as FYI, the accounts were opened 2005, 2010 and 2011 so it really is worth everyone sending CCA requests.
    I am not holding out much hope for the others but will still follow up as you never know.
    Thank you for all the advice on this forum and even though I don't post much, I read everything and appreciate all the advice offered.
    DMP Number 437
    LBM May 2015 47k in debt
    Starting DMP 1st July 2015
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    KID77 wrote: »
    However, the fabulous news is that 3 x MBNA debts which were sold to PRA Group as soon as defaulted have come back as unenforceable, this is approx £12k of debt. They have attached paperwork which they say is the paperwork they have been sent so far and based on this its unenforceable blah blah blah. As they have some sort of paperwork which they obvioulsy realise is legally useless, I assume no other paperwork will turn up....
    I would like to get the 3 accounts closed so plan to write to them offering £100 or something as final settlement.
    Just as FYI, the accounts were opened 2005, 2010 and 2011 so it really is worth everyone sending CCA requests.
    I am not holding out much hope for the others but will still follow up as you never know.
    Thank you for all the advice on this forum and even though I don't post much, I read everything and appreciate all the advice offered.

Fantastic news - so pleased for you :j:j:j

Can I ask what made the 2010 and 2011 accounts unenforceable? From reading your post I think you are saying they sent some documentation but admitted it was UE. It's useful to know :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Summer12
    Options
    Hi

Feeling a bit brighter about things thanks to you guys! Can someone confirm if anyone at anytime can request a copy of the credit card agreement to check if a debt is enforceable or only when an account has defaulted? I ask because going through the figures I noticed that barclaycard bill is £360 per month with only £20 of that going towards the debt. That’s crazy and I may aswell be starting my dmp and only paying them £20! (It comes out by dd so ashamed to say I’ve never looked at it closely before). I’ve been a customer since 1997 and that’s the interest rate you get for being loyal I guess!! :mad:
  • MK-4
    MK-4 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Probably DMP your best bet then, was thinking DRO for partner, maybe IVA for you, but if you can clear in 4/5 years with DMP, go for that.

Thanks for the advice. The IVA looks worrying as we really don't want to risk the house.

I'm already moving DD's to the new bank account. Just a bit worried about the joint account overdraft - assuming it can't be included in the DMP as my OH is not going to be part of it.
  • Lucky2008
    Lucky2008 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 4:00PM
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. The IVA looks worrying as we really don't want to risk the house.

I'm already moving DD's to the new bank account. Just a bit worried about the joint account overdraft - assuming it can't be included in the DMP as my OH is not going to be part of it.

Hi in a similar situation regarding property as mortgage now paid off.Started self-managed DMP for myself only (married) in oct.17
    Owe over £60,000 in CC,loans,overdraft etc.
    An advisor tried to steer me to an IVA but unless I misread,it didn't make any sense.I understood an IVA is marketed as the best solution to protect your property.BUT and here's what I didn't understand.There's a sting in the tail that you have to get a SECURED loan or Remortgage in the last year (which won't be at sensible rates as your credit history is trashed).So now you have a secured debt (fore several more years) at a high rate of interest & because you have capital you are ending up paying all the debt back anyway.Not having some written off as they try to sell it to you & its a legally binding option which will also incur costs of £4000 plus.Partner would have been dragged into an IVA.

Thanks to finding this forum & posts from the regulars convinced me a DMP was the way to go for now.I still worry about "what can happen - charging ccj etc" even though people say it's very unlikely.

Didn't have any joint accounts so can't help there hopefully somebody will have experience to advise.
  • KID77
    KID77 Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi January

They have sent me a document titled Credit Card Agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974.

It's then a list of t&cs with a signature box which has no signature as I would have applied online so a box is ticked instead which I assume is online consent/application.

They have deemed it unenforceable according to covering letter so not sure what is wrong with it, I am going to do some research and see what it should have on it.....

I'm concerned that they have it wrong and may realise....

KID xx
    DMP Number 437
    LBM May 2015 47k in debt
    Starting DMP 1st July 2015
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lucky2008 wrote: »
    .BUT and here's what I didn't understand.There's a sting in the tail that you have to get a SECURED loan or Remortgage in the last year (which won't be at sensible rates as your credit history is trashed).So now you have a secured debt (fore several more years) at a high rate of interest & because you have capital you are ending up paying all the debt back anyway.Not having some written off as they try to sell it to you & its a legally binding option which will also incur costs of £4000 plus.Partner would have been dragged into an IVA.

Can i just add that if you can`t re-mortgage in year 5, as an alternative measure, you make an extra year of payments instead.

If you opt for an IVA, it makes sense to glean as much information as you can beforehand, as the rules tend to change, and you don`t always get the hugh write off`s off debt that some companies advertise.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure