Scam message - clicked on link!

I just got a message on my iPhone. It's the DVLA refund scam one. I clicked the link and it took me to a page describing how they need some details from me and there was a 'get started' button. I didn't click that as it all seemed suspicious. I have no idea how they got my phone number.

I've cleared cookies/data but I don't what else to do. It's an old iPhone 4s and the software can't get the latest update so I'm terrified that now I'll have some sort of malware/keylogger etc on it. Should I buy a new phone and smash this one up? Will that even be enough? Could some malware have infected my broadband network/router? I have an iPad and a firestick too and I'm worried that if it can infect the router, then it could steal data from those too.

Any help appreciated. It's making me feel ill with worry.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,059
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Relax.

All the site wanted was your bank details which you didn't provide

I also got the same message as did thousands of others

Just delete it and forget about it
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I'm terrified that now I'll have some sort of malware/keylogger etc on it. Should I buy a new phone and smash this one up? Will that even be enough? Could some malware have infected my broadband network/router? I have an iPad and a firestick too and I'm worried that if it can infect the router, then it could steal data from those too. .

Awesome !!

(Dont worry it was just an attempt to trick your bank details out of you - the threat dissapeared as soon as you closed the browser)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    When you say message, do you mean SMS message? If you meant an email or iMessage then both of those will be linked to your email account, so unlikely they actually have your phone number.

Therefore the worst that's happened is that they know they have a "live" email address, and a possible nervous person who is prone to clicking on links. (The link you clicked on may have had an ID reference that linked it to the email address).
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 4:31PM
    I know other people got this message but they probably didn't click on the link. I did, which I know you should never do. I'd just bought car tax online recently and thought it was some sort of confirmation of it. I can't believe I was so stupid!

Also, some newspapers are saying that this scam will infect your phone with malware if you click the link and in one of the comments, some guy said that his very tech-savvy friend has confirmed it contains a keylogger.

Worst still, about 15 mins after this happened, this site (MSE) showed a message saying my password was now expired (thousands of days old or something) and asked me to reset it. It feels like a bit too much of a coincidence.

ETA: it was an iMessage. It only came through on my phone. Not on my iPad. I don't use email on my phone (because it seems like a security risk) so I didn't think it would be linked to that.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,168
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Worse still, about 15 mins after this happened, this site (MSE) showed a message saying my password was now expired (thousands of days old or something) and asked me to reset it. It feels like a bit too much of a coincidence.
    If it makes you feel any better, I received the same "reset your password" message and it was indeed 15,348 days old. Maybe we joined on the same day!
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Also, some newspapers are saying that this scam will infect your phone with malware if you click the link and in one of the comments, some guy said that his very tech-savvy friend has confirmed it contains a keylogger. .

I can say with absolute certainty that this process did not result in any kind of infection on your phone atall -

what-so-ever..

That guy was either lying through his teeth or was as thick as pig siht and he doesnt have any tech savvy friends .

Honestly - i know about this stuff ;) - please relax

I will hold myself personally financially responsible for any loss you suffer due to this - thats how confident i am

Worst still, about 15 mins after this happened, this site (MSE) showed a message saying my password was now expired (thousands of days old or something) and asked me to reset it. It feels like a bit too much of a coincidence. .

But coincidence it is - I have just had to reset my password too - they are fiddling about with the forum
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I just had the same message on MSE re password being old. It was some weird number like 742 days or something so its seems likely they've simply gone round and asked everyone who password was more than so many days old to reset it.
    So, yes it is a coincidence, you dont have malware (Its REALLY) difficult to get Malware onto a apple phone.And that would include a keylogger.
    Just stay with teh latest version of iOS on your phone.
    On which BTW, Email is not a security risk .
    Newspapers are written by idiots who dont understand what they are writing about. You can discount whatever garbage you've read (that applies to anything in a newspaper BTW)
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for putting my mind at rest. :)

I'll keep an eye on things in case I notice anything strange but hopefully it'll be ok and I'll be far more careful in future. I still think I'd feel better if I got a new iPhone though. Mine can't get the latest iOS so the security on it won't be good.
  • AndyPix wrote: »
    But coincidence it is - I have just had to reset my password too - they are fiddling about with the forum

Me too. Tedious isn't it?

Mine was changed less than a week ago.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, I received the same "reset your password" message and it was indeed 15,348 days old. Maybe we joined on the same day!

15348 days is 42 years ago, you have been on a long time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure