The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Agh, depleted again on breakdown insurance - although I should get half back through Quidco eventually.
  • Moved £45 into my house deposit fund
    So I have £100.00 in my emergency fund now
  • Christmas got in the way but I am still trying to plug away at the challenge, saving £100 into a regular saver.

#258 £200
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    After sorting out all the vet fees this month, my emergency fund is down £100 so I'm at £722. Should be able to save £200 a month in Feb and March though as we don't pay council tax then, and I really need to up it given the roof situation.
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,800 as of 04/24
  • jaxsmar
    jaxsmar Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another £ 50.00 added today.
    Hoping to add some more later after all the direct debits are paid out then
    Reevaluate. The microwave just conked out! I only use it occasionally do I'm just going to wait a while. £100/£1000.
    Penny wise pound foolish. 366 days 1p challenge 2020 ✓ 2021 2022 2023 completed.
    No.13 1p a day challenge 2024
    No. 24 52 week savings challenge.
  • jaxsmar wrote: »
    Another £ 50.00 added today.
    Hoping to add some more later after all the direct debits are paid out then
    Reevaluate. The microwave just conked out! I only use it occasionally do I'm just going to wait a while. £100/£1000.

SNAP!! mine just went too. Managed to get one with a grill using code (gets £5 discount) £50 from Tesco. That way thought if ever my oven conks out the extra grill facility would be useful. Especially as it was only £50. Nice silver one too.
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • Back on this with a balance of £4.50........
    Now I've overhauled our finances and down a new budget I think I can concentrate better on it. We already have a credit union account where we put our savings for yearly expenses and it didn't work when o tried to mix my EF in with that so instead I have opened and instant saver that is attached to my own bank account (not hubbies and a different bank to joint account so he won't see it and be able to transfer)
    I've decided to just not say anything about it until I've built it up and will just transfer as and when I can until I hit £1000.
    Not because he can't be trusted or anything but just because I want to avoid all temptation to spend it so will pretend it doesn't exist for now.
    Here goes........
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    IrisViolet wrote: »
    Back on this with a balance of £4.50........
    Now I've overhauled our finances and down a new budget I think I can concentrate better on it. We already have a credit union account where we put our savings for yearly expenses and it didn't work when o tried to mix my EF in with that so instead I have opened and instant saver that is attached to my own bank account (not hubbies and a different bank to joint account so he won't see it and be able to transfer)
    I've decided to just not say anything about it until I've built it up and will just transfer as and when I can until I hit £1000.
    Not because he can't be trusted or anything but just because I want to avoid all temptation to spend it so will pretend it doesn't exist for now.
    Here goes........

Well you sound like a girl after my own heart. My OH leaves all the finances up to me and I am quite glad actually as if he know bits I was saving for he would "borrow" it for what he calls necessities.;) He knows I am saving an emergency fund, but has no idea how much is in it and also he doesn't know I am saving money for holidays, Christmas etc as well. What the eye doesn't see.....and all that....LOL
  • Was hoping to save more than my minimum £100 per month but January has about 75 days in it :p so hoping for better in February

#258 £300
  • can you swap #271 2674644 for this account please?

£20 in the fund

2% completed
    :heart: Engaged 01-09-17 :heart: Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save:heart:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback