Pocket Money

Comments

• svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I disagree, but that's your opinion and your right to have it, of course and I respect that

In your experience these things haven't happened but that doesn't mean there isn't a world outside your front door. As far as you know, these things aren't a problem, but would you really be the first to know, if your adult offspring's marriage was falling apart because they refused to do any housework? I wouldn't approach my mother in law to complain that her son was a lazy man and to thank her for instilling this superiority complex into his head

Teaching kids they do not need to participate in household necessities, and these ideas could carry into their adulthood and be a real problem in adult relationships. I have seen it with my own eyes, the frustration and resentments that build up when a couple are both working and one is just expected to take the place of Mother. and the complete astonishment of the other partner

I don't think any parent would resent their young kids having spare time - we are not talking Cinderella, having kids scrubbing floors until 11pm, but if free time is all they ever have, whilst parents work full time and do every chore whilst kids sit gawping, is teaching kids that they are superior - pretty much unleashing clueless teenagers on to the world

I can only go by my own upbringing and other family members and my adult children .... and none had chores forced onto them All have grown up into reasonable members of society. If one of my kids was considered lazy by the partners (and they were genuinely were) then "respect" is the bigger problem imo and its not because they didnt do chores as a child ..... and they will learn (easy or hard way) what life is about
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    svain wrote: »
    I can only go by my own upbringing and other family members and my adult children .... and none had chores forced onto them All have grown up into reasonable members of society. If one of my kids was considered lazy by the partners (and they were genuinely were) then "respect" is the bigger problem imo and its not because they didnt do chores as a child ..... and they will learn (easy or hard way) what life is about

ahh very true - we all learn as life goes on, whether it is chores, or a million and one topics - its a good job we are not all the same though as they say life would be boring
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    If someone has a strong view on something then they can labour the point. However, it seems you are more bothered about me than the actual discussion.

Teaching them about kindness doesn't mean working for free? "Ok mum. I will do the washing up for you... but only if you give me money for it. Then you can do it tomorrow for free, mum"....

I never realised that doing the odd chore around the house was 'working'.....

Indeed and you seem to have a strong view on how I raise my kids. I haven't mentioned yours... In any case, labouring the point rarely works.

Usually it's more like here is your list of chores. Well done, here's some pocket money for your wallet, holiday fund, whatever.

Or, that's ok, don't do your chores. But don't expect to save up for that game, toy, whatever with that attitude.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why don't you two just get a room?
    ;)
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    ska_lover wrote: »
    ;)

They'd never agree on who cleaned it or whether or not the person who did should get paid :rotfl:;)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• ska_lover wrote: »
    ;)

She couldnt afford it. She spends her money paying children to do the dusting....
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    She couldnt afford it. She spends her money paying children to do the dusting....

He... pays 10p per chore....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I got a fiver a week.

'Admittedly didn't do chores, but my mum is a neat freak and wouldn't let us :p i babysat my siblings a lot but only once asked for money and got told that everything i wanted, room over my head, food, cleaning was done for me. Never asked again.... :eek:
  • In the past year or so my 14-year old knows that, all things being equal, she will get £30 pocket money per month. This gets reduced if she doesn't do the washing up, put out washed clothes to dry, etc. (all things a 14-year old can do). She gets extra "credit" for looking after her little sister (whose 7). She gets "penalised" for bad behavior. She earns additional money, outside of this agreement, for mowing the lawn.

At the end of the month we have a conversation about what she deserves, based on what she has done, and I present my view of her value (based on what she hasn't done) and we negotiate.

It's done in a lot more light hearted way than that explanation comes across! Most months she gets somewhere between £20 and £27. But I want her to get use to understanding the value she provides by helping the entire family and for her to get used to earning additional money based on the valuable help she provides (everything she earns is hers to spend as she wants, and I am happy to pay for everything she needs).
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My 9-year-old gets £3 a week plus 50p for each "house point" she is awarded at school.

My 12-year-old gets £5 a week plus £1 for each "achievement point" he is awarded at school.

They are also expected to keep their room tidy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure