Santander Select changes

Options
I was on the phone to Santander today and they told me that as the beginning of the week they had relaunched their Select account.

Existing Select customers need to ask to change to their new current account if they want it.

The main features of both the old and new Santander Select accounts appear identical (same monthly fee, same interest/cashback etc).

However, they have replaced the gold debit card (with which you could withdraw £750/day) with a new black debit card that has a higher £1000 daily cash machine withdrawal limit.

Also, the first £500 of any overdraft is fee free.

You can apply for an new account or transfer your existing Santander account to it here

Comments

• soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »

You can apply for an new account or transfer your existing Santander account to it here
    Unless you've already got the max.. in which case you'd have to transfer one to get it.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think I'll leave it as it is, I'd confuse the new black debit card with the black credit card. I'm easily confused.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • HardSpend
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I think I'll leave it as it is, I'd confuse the new black debit card with the black credit card. I'm easily confused.
    same here, gold>black
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don’t think it’s that simple they said it was 15-20 minutes and it’s an actual account change from the Gold Account to the Select Account.

Once the account is changed then the new black card can be issued apparently.

I said I’d pass as I didn’t have 15-20 minutes and not sure it’s worth it for an overdraft I don’t use and 250 extra cash limit which I don’t use.

The advisor did say the gold cards are about to be stopped but he was unsure whether the free cash withdrawals were tied to the underlying gold current account or the gold debit card.

Oh well.
    Thanks
    JG
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JGUK wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s that simple they said it was 15-20 minutes and it’s an actual account change from the Gold Account to the Select Account.

Once the account is changed then the new black card can be issued apparently.

I said I’d pass as I didn’t have 15-20 minutes and not sure it’s worth it for an overdraft I don’t use and 250 extra cash limit which I don’t use.

The advisor did say the gold cards are about to be stopped but he was unsure whether the free cash withdrawals were tied to the underlying gold current account or the gold debit card.

Oh well.

The free withdrawals are linked to the gold debit card - we were advised not to use Santander ATMs outside the UK & Spain until they were issued - only UK & Spanish ATMs would be FOC.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I don't think we will bother either. It is quite nice having the gold Santander select card and the black 123 credit card. Having 2 black cards will be a total pain especially as my first direct personal account card is also black. We don't use overdrafts and really not bothered about getting £1000 in cash out as only once in a blue moon is that needed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JGUK
    Options
    If thats the case then they can currently re-issue gold cards but not issue new ones anymore.

One person was unsure on how much longer they could re-issue the gold cards for whilst another said indefinitely so no idea on that one.

I always thought it was the underlying Gold account that made the withdrawls free not the actual debit card.

In Santander Spain ALL debit cards for normal customers are gold apart from the most basic and Select customers have black debit cards so I'm guessing they're bringing the UK into line with Spain with this change.

Thanks
    Thanks
    JG
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I think I'll leave it as it is, I'd confuse the new black debit card with the black credit card.

tbh this was one of my first reactions as well. Though having seen what I think the new cards look like, I don't think there is much risk of me confusing them with each other (I have the Zero card)
    JGUK wrote: »

Yes, its an account change - and the 15-20 minutes would be for all the small print they need to read out if you do it by telephone.. which is one reason I prefer to do things online!
  • JGUK
    Options
    Has anyone else done the change and got the black debit card?

I can't see my card at all online for things like going abroad/replacement card/etc - can anyone else?

They sent it off to the back office last week but its still broke - might be a problem with these black debit cards apparently.
    Thanks
    JG
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd imagine they'll write out (when they are discontinuing the current setup)
    Probably better to move then, if they are having teething problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure