PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Obligations with former owners mail

Options

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When first move into a place, post is opened and companies informed that the previous resident no longer lives there. I spoke to Royal Mail and they advised that opening post to advise sender is legitimate. Doing this stops the unwanted mail as companies know that the post is not just being sent back. Details where known are provided. For this address for example, the lady who lived here before has gone into care. Then after a few months any other post is first shredded then binned.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gozaimasu wrote: »
    I would also recommend writing the post code of the return address on the front of the mail. Makes it easier for the sorting office to deal with.

No it doesnt
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having owned my place for a couple of years, I'm still getting mail from 3 previous tenancies, spanning 4+ years of residents. Thats everything from flyers, charities they've signed up to, card statements, bank letters, pension letters.. from people who moved out nearly 7 years ago! Have been religously RTS-ing everything that has a return address, but no noticeable reduction in the quantity.. so try it but don't expect it'll actually make it stop. Time to start binning now.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "Return and remove - Deceased" - especially if it's anything that looks official or important...

<evil grin>
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    "Gone away" has even fewer letters (and what the Royal Mail put on their own label).

Only three letters required - "RTS" - Anything with a return address on the back goes through a sorting machine and is sent back there. A return address on the front is manually sorted, the remainder goes to a mail opening unit in Belfast.

Any letters that have been opened and then shoved back in to a letterbox with RTS scribbled on it goes to Royal Mail's revenue protection unit. The recipient then usually gets charged for the privilege.

For mail that is being redirected, it is a good idea to write just the new address on the envelope ensuring that the recipient's name is clearly visible - As long as the name is visible or isn't changed and the envelope is still sealed, the redirect will be free of charge.

Amazing what one can learn from working in the post office for a Christmas or three :o
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RTS never seems to stop anything in my experience. Open them and ring the company/bank/whatever and request they stop sending stuff to your house. This has worked for most of the mail I keep receiving for previous owners and tenants.

British Gas and BT seemed to be the hardest to stop. British Gas I could only get through to the right department by calling the new customer line and being put through as no-one picked up any of the other phone lines or options. BT I had to call multiple times to explain to their idiot call handlers that a previous tenant from over a decade ago would not be taking up their wonderful offers and due to their shocking response to this simple request neither would I so please stop sending me junk!!

So you may have to be persistent with some companies but that seems the best way. Nothing illegal in opening mail if your intent isn't illegal use of the info inside.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Xplosivgas wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the legal obligation is of a new home owner as regards post addressed to the former owner?

Since no-one wants to cleary explain..

Your only obligation is not to !!!! over the previous occupant.

Returning will do nothing as you are nopt the recipient so 99.9% of the time it will be ignored.

Signing up with the companies yourself might stop the mail! It seemed to with me for screwfix.

You might stop it with a complaint to higher up, eg web teams.

Otherwise use it to light fires.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Only three letters required - "RTS" - Anything with a return address on the back goes through a sorting machine and is sent back there. A return address on the front is manually sorted, the remainder goes to a mail opening unit in Belfast.
    Not quite. Stamped mail goes to Belfast. Other mail types with no return address as securely destroyed. Machines can read front and back addresses.Its more often the routing codes that cause issue.
    Any letters that have been opened and then shoved back in to a letterbox with RTS scribbled on it goes to Royal Mail's revenue protection unit. The recipient then usually gets charged for the privilege.
    only for business redirections
    For mail that is being redirected, it is a good idea to write just the new address on the envelope ensuring that the recipient's name is clearly visible - As long as the name is visible or isn't changed and the envelope is still sealed, the redirect will be free of charge.

Amazing what one can learn from working in the post office for a Christmas or three :o

Need to go back to class ;)
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    One of my properties still receives mail for a tenant who left 6 years ago despite returning to sender. They are mostly posh furniture, and Toolmart type catalogues. No wonder those companies charge so much for their products!!!
  • InterestedParty2018
    Options
    Many years ago I worked for a (high street and online) retail company that offered account services. If mail was returned (ie RTS), there would be a "mark" placed on the account. Further post would not be sent out, and no transaction could be completed without updating the postal address.

If other organisations (who can) take this approach, then hopefully the volume will reduce.

Maybe with GDPR it will reduce further?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport