PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I was out at a charity showing of the film Suffragette for international women's Day last night so wasn't at home for tea. I expected hubby to order in pizza as he usually does whenever I'm out but he surprised me by eating up the leftover leek and potato bake. I am pleased but also sightly disappointed as I fancied that for my lunch today!

I still have loads of beetroot houmous left so I'll probably have some more of that with something for lunch. Maybe some felafels and salad. I think there are a couple of felafels in the freezer somewhere. Must go and rummage.
  • crazytree wrote: »
    I must be the only person in the world who never sees good yellow sticker bargains! Not fair (sulk)...

crazytree, you are not alone:rotfl: It doesn’t matter when I go into MrA - I never find good ys bargains - the ys I see are 50 - 70 pence off:(

Saturday, I used the last of the sliced loaf from freezer to make toast with fried eggs - simple but tasty. Dinner was hm bolognese meat sauce from freezer with spaghetti from store cupboard. Enough sauce left for a Sunday snack. Chilli con carne from freezer with rice from store cupboard for Sunday dinner. The big freezer empty has begun:T

MrsSD
    LFHW
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    crazytree, you are not alone:rotfl: It doesn’t matter when I go into MrA - I never find good ys bargains - the ys I see are 50 - 70 pence off:(

I went to my local Coop, ys broccoli reduced from 53p to 48p and it was 'yellow' . still good to eat! they must be joking
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned before... I needed to use up half a tub of hummus, and had not quite a full serving of chicken and vegetable soup. The two combined made a delicious creamy soup, filling and tasty. For those of us who avoid dairy, it gives a way to have a creamy texture in foods.

Often as a singleton, even the smaller size pot of hummus is too much, and I find although it freezes, it's not quite the same again. So, in future, I'll try adding it in to other soups, casseroles and stir fries.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Today I've made Soup of the Week - chunky vegetable & bean with chorizo - and there's enough for 3 portions for two, so that's three lunches sorted. :j It's used up a fair few bits from the fridge and freezer (onion, carrot, swede, celery, broccoli and mushroom stalks, half a small tin of sweetcorn, a handful of frozen peas, finely chopped chorizo, tin of white kidney beans) cooked in chicken stock made from a cube. For flavour I added cumin, curry powder and a good dollop of tomato puree. There's a bit of chorizo left so I'll shred and dry fry that till crispy to sprinkle on top. A tasty and filling "winter" soup. :)

Earlier this week there was a link on another thread to a recipe for a Milky Boiled Fruit Cake made with condensed milk. I have a tin that's on my "use up" list so I'm going to give it a go. It's done by the melting method in a pan before baking, my favourite method as it's so easy to do. :D

We have a weather programme on local radio on Sundays and one of the guest speakers today was a chap called Dave King who gives long range forecasts. He's not a Met Office bod (billed as weather without technology, using nature, moons, etc) but is uncannily accurate. Sadly, he's predicting another cold (possibly snow filled) snap around the 17th of this month. I hope not but, if he's right, it could be a case of deja vu. :(

This week's meal plan:
    Sun - Lamb slices in gravy*, mashed potatoes, carrot & swede mash
    Mon - Bacon, mushrooms & peppers in a cheese & bacon sauce (to use up half a jar in fridge) with pasta
    Tue - Pork shoulder steaks* braised with onions and apple, mix of peas & sweetcorn, mashed potatoes
    Wed - Chicken* stir fry with noodles
    Thu - Beef sausage*, chunky hm chips, braised red cabbage*
    Fri - Battered haddock (from chippy) with hm mushy peas
    Sat - Hm fakeaway king prawn curry & rice
    * From freezer stocks
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    My DGS Danny in NYC told me this afternoon they are forecast another nor'easter there later this week, and we normally get their weather a couple of days later so its a possibility I guess YorksLass. batten down the hatches chums ,and don't put the boots away just yet

JackieO xx
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have to confess that I am going to be throwing away some leftovers...

I mafe tuna pasta bake that i haven't done for years and i think that there was something in it that contains a lot of monosodium glutamate whjch i am EXTREMELY sensitive to. I've hax a dreadful night with little sleep and now have hangover symptoms and a sore neck...

It's got to go
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VJsmum definitely bin if its made you ill,its not worth being poorly and certainly not a hanging offence :) I never eat chinese food for the same reason ,every time I have tried it I have been really ill.
    I steer clear, which is a shame as it always looks and smells nice but hey ho there are lots of other things to have instead :)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    VJsmum definitely bin if its made you ill,its not worth being poorly and certainly not a hanging offence :) I never eat chinese food for the same reason ,every time I have tried it I have been really ill.
    I steer clear, which is a shame as it always looks and smells nice but hey ho there are lots of other things to have instead :)

Yes, I don't eat chinese food either. Cursing myself, because I have just read the ingredients on the tin of condensed mushroom soup - and it even says it's in there. They don't always say, will just call it flavouring. Grrr :mad:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • crazytree
    crazytree Posts: 72 Forumite
    I'm stretching a roast chicken this week. Roast dinner last night, Nasi goreng (sp?) today, sandwiches and later in the week a soup. Trying to stretch our remaining fruit too as Himself didn't fancy going to Aldi today.
    Tx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure