Warm home discount and moving suppliers

I have had the WHD for a few years while with British gas but this week i am moving to another supplier so wanted to know would that mean i can still apply for the WHD with my new supplier?

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ask them, some will offer others not.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You will need to re-apply, if they're pat of the scheme. Some energy suppliers aren't.
  • All seem to have different rules and how they apply to certain groups such as some only offering WHD to the elderly. Most of the smaller and cheaper energy firms do not offer it to anyone because they are not obliged to do so by the government.
  • When I sent my application to BG yesterday it said in the information on the submission screen that if you changed suppliers you would need to speak with the new supplier so I’d say check with who you want to move to.
  • Londonlisa12
    Londonlisa12 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2018 at 4:28PM
    If you qualify through the CORE group on July 8th this year the energy company you were then signed up to should pay it.Even if you leave them after this date.

The core group should get it automatically and be notified by post by December 7th so need to apply.

The warm home discount scheme helpline/call centre is now closed but reopens on October 15th phone number 0800 7310214 if BG have not sorted it out by then phone the call centre/ helpline.
  • Hi, I’m just wondering what will happen to my credit if I change suppliers after it’s been applied? So, I’m currently in credit, as they’ve just added the £140 credit, but if I change suppliers, will the credit be refunded to me, or transferred to the new supplier, or will I just lose it..?
    Be grateful if anyone knows!
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • I think you may lose the credit as the funds are from the government.

I don't think you will receive a refund - as in cash. Any amount of credit on your account may be reimbursed if you have paid it yourself.

Contact Brit Gas and ask.
  • venison wrote: »
    They are not allowed to refund credit gained from the WHD, you might be best advised not to change suppliers in this case, maybe you could reduce your monthly DD so the credit runs down and then change?

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just rang my supplier to check how much of the credit had been used, as it was applied in November & I’ve also carried on with my usual payments, but they said that any credit on the account will be refunded - once it’s on the account, it’s yours to take with you! :T
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • I am a pensioner with a low income...I used to receive the Warm Home Discount when I was with EOn but moved house last year into rented accommodation and now have both gas & electricity supplied by British Gas using prepayment keys.
    I just assumed the WHD would automatically be paid, but it didn't arrive.
    I tried to apply online to BG but I don't know what the account numbers are for the prepayment keys... I didn't set up the account and I don't know what to do next. I want to apply online as I am deaf so cannot use the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure