Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Being competitive doesn't necessarily involve exercise, I remember when I was a student, a fellow student saying to me that he wasn't competing with me, and my response was something like, "maybe not, but I am definitely competing with you, competition allows us to reach the best that we can do of us". I eventually got a first class honours degree and I was the top student of my year, despite starting as a very afraid mature student, without many prior qualifications.

Strangely, I also received a first (and was top student of my year). But then we mature students had a rather large advantage didn't we? - life experience, disciplined work ethic, organisational skills, time management, blah de blah.

At no point did I consider myself in competition with fellow students; the challenge was to reach a benchmark I set myself. It's not as if a single first was on offer and it was always awarded to the top-performing student. A first was awarded to all students who reached the required level. There were two awarded in my year and zero the year prior.

I found university a frighteningly challenging, but soothingly uncompetitive, experience.

You don't need to be competitive to succeed in life, you simply need to understand the link between effort and reward and that effort tends to be driven by self-motivation.

The thought of following any form of exercise 'regimen' is an anathema to me. I prefer the unstructured, impromptu type. I like walking - but only in natural landscapes and definitely not in the rain. I like swimming and sailing - but I'm a fine-weather advocate of both. I'm not sure I would have the time to schedule such an exercise programme in-between the domestics, gardening, decorating, family, volunteering and my eclectic range of interests (not least this forum).

Lost count of how many times I've been up/down those stairs already today.

Regimens, schedules and competition in retirement? Not me guv. Sounds far too much like a description of my working life.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I like walking but having injured my knee ten years ago running is not an option.I had to stop playing cricket.

Usually there are lots of nice walks to chose from where I live, but for the last week I have been mostly satying indoors with the windows shut.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Being competitive doesn't necessarily involve exercise, I remember when I was a student, a fellow student saying to me that he wasn't competing with me, and my response was something like, "maybe not, but I am definitely competing with you, competition allows us to reach the best that we can do of us". I eventually got a first class honours degree and I was the top student of my year, despite starting as a very afraid mature student, without many prior qualifications.

Indeed it doesn't necessarily mean exercise. I run a small haulage business with 25 staff and have done for 27 years- depends what stats you look at, but we are the sector that has the highest or closest to the highest, business failure in the UK. I could have a much larger firm, but I'm actually picky who I work for and that isn't just based on the profit margin. I do have the highest staff retention within my small sector of haulage and by industry standard I am way above the average. I'm not sure that counts as being competitive, but it's how I define the success of my business.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As one who has never enjoyed exercise much, I took up Tai Chi last year and enjoy it thoroughly.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Terron wrote: »
    Usually there are lots of nice walks to chose from where I live, but for the last week I have been mostly satying indoors with the windows shut.

Yesterday, I did a hilly 85 mile ride in the Yorkshire Dales, on a recumbent bike that I've barely used for three years, in temps pushing 30C in the shade (and I had no shade).

Indoor with windows closed would have been wiser!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Slinky wrote: »
    As one who has never enjoyed exercise much, I took up Tai Chi last year and enjoy it thoroughly.

I've made a list of things I want to do when I retire ( it's not far off now) and that is on the list.
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Yesterday, I did a hilly 85 mile ride in the Yorkshire Dales, on a recumbent bike that I've barely used for three years, in temps pushing 30C in the shade (and I had no shade).

:eek: I'd finished dog walking by 09.00, anything over 22-3 degrees is just silly:D
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    gadgetmind wrote: »

Especially if you local moors were on fire like the ones near me
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bugslet wrote: »
    anything over 22-3 degrees is just silly:D

I was going for silly but overshot to "insane". I drank eight full water bottles as I cycled, plus a few when we stopped, and was still thirsty!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bugslet wrote: »
    I've made a list of things I want to do when I retire ( it's not far off now) and that is on the list.

Excellent, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It doesn't have to cost a lot either (with an eye on MSE). I do Taoist Tai Chi which is run by volunteers and costs £22 a month, or £17 for the over 55s who have retired, for as many classes as you want to attend.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2018 at 10:08PM
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    There's no need to drag FAs into the discussion
    For the British Steel case we do because without advisers suggesting grossly inappropriate investments it's easy to see that transferring is likely to make someone substantially better off.

It's clear from some of the coverage that instead of normal investments and well established drawdown approaches advisers who might best be described as sharks or perhaps even crooks have been chasing after the money.

The US study you linked to was interesting, given that in the UK it's typically irrational to buy an annuity at normal pension pot sizes and retirement ages.* Even for someone who does want a guaranteed income. State pension deferral for guaranteed, drawdown to handle drop over time, tend to outcompete until life expectancy is sufficiently reduced to help the annuities.

*A few tens of thousands and insufficient other money to retire until state pension age or close to it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback