PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Herman Friendship Cake??

Comments

• I've heard it described as Amish Friendship cake. Should be a suitable recipe amongst that lot ;)
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I can remember doing that when I was little. The girls used to pass the dough round the class at school.

I might start it off with my boys after Christmas as they love baking.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • I love Herman the German cake - maybe because I am German - it was lots going round when I was growing up as well - my grandmother often made it when she large occasions for church to cater for.
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh wow !!!

Might give this a go !! Sounds great !!

T xx
  • Nanaof2
    Nanaof2 Posts: 104 Forumite
    This thread has brought back old memories from the 1980s

I used to make this when my children were little as a friend gave me some of the dough to start me off

I've always thought of it as German Friendship cake and I might just have another go in the new year. As has already been mentioned the only way I remember you could stop making any more when fed up with it was to be ruthless and throw the dough away
    Sealed Pot Callenge No 074
  • jfennell
    jfennell Posts: 26 Forumite
    Does anyone remember the frienship cakes that used to going around in the 80s? I seem to remember that there was a yeast based starter that had to be fed for a week. You kept a cup for the next cake or gave it to a friend and used the rest of the mix to a type of fruit cake. I would loave to try this again if anyone has a recipe.

Jane
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    oh yes, I loved the smell of that culture. It was doing the rounds here as late as about 5 years ago - had forgotten all about it.

there's one on here not sure if it's the same one http://www.recipezaar.com/26995

and there's one on here which is slightly different. http://www.selfsufficientish.com/index.php/recipes/34-recipes/62-friendship-cake-starter-recipe
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi jfennell,

There's an earlier thread with recipes for that cake so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    A few years ago my friend gave me a starter for what she called a 'friendship cake'. It was a little like sourdough in that you added a little sugar and flour to it each day for so many days - using airbourne yeast - and then halved it, carried on feeding one half and used the other to make a cake. I remember having to add an eating apple to the mix at some point!

Does anyone know a recipe similar to the above? I remember it was really nice and I made several cakes before the started died. I asked my friend if she had the recipe, but she had been given a starter herself and she has since moved to Australia and lost contact with the person who gave it to her:(

Anyone able to help?
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    **Note to self, oldMcD

Do a search first!

MSE thread

Sorry board guides - please either delete this or join it to the other one :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure