Stung for NCD on Two Cars

Options
Hi folks

I recently bought a second car - did the normal search for insurance online, filled in the forms and got a quote which I accepted for about £300.

They asked for proof of NCD which I sent over.

They then sent me a letter saying that they had checked a database and my NCD isn't "available" so they were charging me an extra £1,200! Wow!

I haven't had an accident - so I think that they mean that since I am using the NCD for one car, I can't use it for another at the same time?

That doesn't really make sense to me, because I haven't had an accident for donkey's years - because I'm a good driver. So shouldn't that reduce my premiums for both cars?

Anyway, what can I do? Can they really just quadruple my premium and there's nothing I can do about it? Shouldn't they have made it clear that I can only use my NCD on one car, if that is the rule?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can only use your no claims on one policy at a time, that is the rules. Your insurer for the first car may offer a discount on a second policy.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The NCD you build up on one car can only be used on one car. A second car needs to build up its own NCD.
    Shouldn't they have made it clear that I can only use my NCD on one car, if that is the rule?
    Did they tell you that you could use it on two cars?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you have an insurance policy that has x years ncd. If you want to use that ncd on your new car then the ncd moves to your new policy. - this then leaves no ncd for your old car
    what made you think you could use the same ncd from one policy on multiple policies?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    what made you think you could use the same ncd from one policy on multiple policies?

Because the NCD is a measure of your safety as a driver, not on the propensity of individual cars to have accidents?

It's illogical, but those are the rules. If you had asked the first insurer you might well have been offered a discount on a second car.
    A few years ago we took out a second policy on another car and got a discount that was the same as my full NCD.
  • RichardParsons
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

I agree the rule is illogical, but there it is. My fault for not knowing it, I guess.

So, any ideas about what I do now? Can I shop around again and cancel my policy, or do I just have to pay whatever the insurer demands? What's the price of my ignorance of the no two car rule, I guess?
  • RichardParsons
    Options
    SonOf wrote: »
    Did they tell you that you could use it on two cars?

So, I believe that the relationship between insurer and proposer is "of the utmost good faith" ("uberrimae fidei"). That means that they have an obligation to give you all information relevant to your proposal, and just staying silent or not lying is insufficient.

It seems to me that the insurers should be asking proposers whether they have another car and checking that the NCD is not already in use there.

Anyway, that's a side issue - my main question is what I should do next? :)
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because the NCD is a measure of your safety as a driver, not on the propensity of individual cars to have accidents?

It's illogical, but those are the rules. If you had asked the first insurer you might well have been offered a discount on a second car.
    A few years ago we took out a second policy on another car and got a discount that was the same as my full NCD.

NCD is how many years you have had a policy on that car without claiming and being at fault, not how safe you are as a driver. That's why they ask if you have been involved in an accident as well as how many NCD you have had.

You could crash you car many times a year into various objects and inform your insurance company but chose not to claim and you will still build up NCD despite being a very poor driver.
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    So, I believe that the relationship between insurer and proposer is "of the utmost good faith" ("uberrimae fidei"). That means that they have an obligation to give you all information relevant to your proposal, and just staying silent or not lying is insufficient.

It seems to me that the insurers should be asking proposers whether they have another car and checking that the NCD is not already in use there.

Anyway, that's a side issue - my main question is what I should do next? :)

I've just taken out insurance in my name on a second car and, like you, was unaware that my NCD could only be used on one car, but found out before I got quotes.

Went on good ole comparethemarket (other comparison websites are available) and got a decent quote without NCD. So good was it I wondered what the point of NCDs are...
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    Options
    Not really. NCD is a marketing gimmick - nothing more, nothing less.

In the dim and distant past it was a form of loyalty bonus intended to encourage customers (particularly the good ones who didn't make claims) to keep renewing, and the idea was that you would only get it if you stayed with the same insurer year after year.

Well, that went the way of all loyalty bonuses when insurers realised that if they wanted to attract new customers, they would have to offer to match their rivals' NCDs. Much as Tesco might offer to accept Sainsburys' money off vouchers from time to time - not because they're under any moral or legal obligation to accept them, but because it's a good way to poach their competitor's customers.

However if you're not renewing a policy - for example because you're insuring a second car for the first time - you won't have an existing insurer who is offering you a discount, so there is no incentive for another insurer to offer you one. Viewed like this many of the oddities of NCD make sense. Complaining that you're not allowed to use it on more than one car at once is a bit like getting a "£10 off your next shop" voucher from Tesco, then complaining that you can't use it twice at two different supermarkets.

That's the theory at any rate. In practice of course NCD has been rather uncomfortably crowbarred into the more general ratings system, which is why if you ask many insurers will offer to match your NCD on a second car, or give you a roughly equivalent discount. Not all will though and there are no industry-wide rules on whether they have to do it, any more than there are rules on how many loyalty points supermarkets have to give you.

The system IS a little silly, but it's become ingrained to the point where people treat their NCD as if it was a basic human right, or the most valuable thing they have ever owned (you can even get insurance for it!), so the first insurer to scrap it would immediately lose all their customers. But of course it's neither a human right nor the most valuable thing you ever own - it's just a marketing gimmick that got out of hand.
  • losgiganteskid
    Options
    If you were able to have the no claim bonus discount you had earned on one vehicle doubled up so to speak and use the same bonus discount on a second vehicle - in the event of a fault accident would you be happy to lose the no claim discount on both policies - thought not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure