I don't have a phone! :(
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love a scottish accent. :)

How do you do internet banking without having a phone, surely you need a landline for your broadband?
  • nik_k
    nik_k Posts: 301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    abz88 wrote: »
    How do you do internet banking without having a phone, surely you need a landline for your broadband?

There are many ways of getting internet access without a landline... Virgin without a landline, mobile broadband, etc.
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nik_k wrote: »
    There are many ways of getting internet access without a landline... Virgin without a landline, mobile broadband, etc.

But you need a mobile to get mobile broadband, so the "I don't have a phone" problem wouldn't exist.
    I think (?) Virgin fibre-optic broadband is the only option of getting internet without any form of phone (at least the only company that actually offer it as an option).
    If all that is needed is a phone to call HSBC to get a telephone banking number, I find it hard to believe someone can claim they have no mobile, no landline and no access to a phone (whether at their work or boring a friends)
  • nik_k
    nik_k Posts: 301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    abz88 wrote: »
    But you need a mobile to get mobile broadband, so the "I don't have a phone" problem wouldn't exist.
    I think (?) Virgin fibre-optic broadband is the only option of getting internet without any form of phone (at least the only company that actually offer it as an option).
    If all that is needed is a phone to call HSBC to get a telephone banking number, I find it hard to believe someone can claim they have no mobile, no landline and no access to a phone (whether at their work or boring a friends)

By mobile broadband I meant either broadband provided by a mobile provider via a router (e.g. Three home broadband via their HomeFi devices) or Mobile Wi-Fi through a dongle.

However, I do take your point about the complete inaccessability to a phone whatsoever!
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

A phone is often a lifeline. Literally. I hope, when you're in your home/flat alone, that you don't break a leg in the shower, let a chip pan catch fire, let your poodle attack you and bite through an artery, etc etc.
  • 00kitkat00
    Options
    Switching bonuses - Cani sign up to new banks using an old account I don’t really use but has a small credit balance, I don’t really want to switch my current account but I do quite fancy collecting the cash incentives!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    00kitkat00 wrote: »
    Switching bonuses - Cani sign up to new banks using an old account I don’t really use but has a small credit balance, I don’t really want to switch my current account but I do quite fancy collecting the cash incentives!
    Yes you can do that. Just make sure you meet the switch T&Cs. If you are quick, and if the account you want to switch isn't with Lloyds already, the current Lloyds offer is very easy to do. It expires in the near future..
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    00kitkat00 wrote: »

I'm looking to do the same. I have an old HSBC account I haven't used in years with a token £1 sat in it. Will use that to switch to Lloyds just to get the switching bonus, and then look to use that Lloyds account to switch on for the next attractive deal. What's not to like about free money :)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a quickie - does anyone know whether the minimum £1,750 pm pay-in can be from another bank account or whether it must be your salary from your employer(s) ?

I'm giving the offer some thought but is there anything about HSBC banking that I should really know about before switching ?

Help or advice appreciated. Thanks.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback