New Empty Nest Mum starts battle of mortgage ...

Comments

• Another day another dollar!

Yesterday wasn't a NSD as I needed petrol :( Only a month ago I wouldn't have given that any thought but I'm a changed woman and hate having to spend anything! Running the risk of becoming a real scrooge here :rotfl:

Quiet night as usual pottering about and doing more of my embroidery. I'm not far off finishing but the rest is just green leaves so a bit boring - dying to get it finished though as it is the first of two pictures for my bedroom which currently is a sea of magnolia paint with nothing at all on the walls! I wanted to catch up on World on Fire but there are so many subtitles that I can't really embroider while I watch as I keep missing bits which is annoying :D

Should be a NSD today which makes me happy :laugh:

Have a lovely day MSEers, my usual boring update will follow tomorrow!
    Mortgage: £81,154.58 (03/19) - £54,849 (02/24)
  • Morning all :wave:

Had a bit of a head mashing day at work yesterday so was well and truly ready for home and a glass of vino.

Cooked ys pork loin and used up a slightly crinkly pepper, going soft tomatoes, floppy courgette and on-the-verge-of-dodgy onion with a baked potato - was really tasty and the veg looked fine once it was cooked! Had two loins and cooked two potatoes while the oven was on so I have a fully plated up meal for tonight that will only require a few minutes in the microwave.

Sad person that I am, while I was eating I worked out the approximate cost of each meal and it came in at £1.04 which I am pretty pleased with :money:

Yesterday was a NSD and today should be too so the frugality continues :T

I was thinking yesterday about over-paying my sofa to get it out of the way. Its on interest free credit though so not sure if that makes as much sense as throwing the extra at the mortgage. My thinking was, if I could pay it all off within 12 months (instead of the 3 1/2 years thats left), then the original payment (£29.21) plus the overpayment (£70) could go to the mortgage... putting it down in writing it doesn't really make financial sense, but psychologically it does. Not sure what to do now so any thoughts would be welcome! :undecided
  • Daily update for my own thinking ... have decided it doesn't make sense to pay off a very affordable 0% finance deal. The money would be better going to the mortgage or savings as it'll be paid anyway before I need to remortgage to clear the Help to Buy. Happy now decision is made!

Had to stop at A1di on way home for cat litter and milk so wasn't a NSD in the end :(

Made a lovely mushroom risotto for dinner but was so full after that I felt quite ill! Caught up on GBBO - I love that show. I boycotted it when it first moved to C4 and now I'm cross I missed a series! :D

In the midst of boring mid-month nothingness - no bills going out :T but no pennies coming in either :( so frustrating as I'm itching to do my November budget on YNAB! Note to self ... I need to get out more!
  • Thought I'd post again (couldn't be bothered ranting on to myself on Friday!).

Anyway, had a rather strange and unpleasant weekend. Ex was in touch and I agreed to meet him on Saturday. An hour later and a horrible row I left but then couldn't settle all weekend. Shut myself away in my bedroom with the dog all day Sunday just in case he appeared on the doorstep. Feel a bit pathetic, but he really rattles me.

Then I got into work this morning to find the heating has broken - my office is already absolutely freezing so it's unbearable today :-(

Anyway, feel generally down and miserable (and cold!). Not helped by the fact that I spent pointless money in the pub on Saturday as I wanted to meet him somewhere neutral :-(

Oh well, onwards and upwards I suppose.
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hey,

Sorry to hear you had a bad weekend and hope you are feeling better. Don't worry about the money you spent at the pub just think that at least now you are aware of those spends which maybe you wouldn't have been previously.

Hope you are feeling better and you have heating at work again.
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • Thanks Longway2go, feeling a lot calmer today despite not sleeping very well again last night. I think I was doubly annoyed that I have been sooooo careful with money this month that it was such a complete waste of money - especially as I didn't even eat the meal in the end because I left! On the up side, because I've been so careful it hasn't caused any hardship so there is a positive to focus on!

In other money news, not a lot to report. I've done an online shop for delivery on Thursday in preparation for DS coming home on Friday! Am so excited to see him :j I have spent more than I have been doing as I want to treat him to a couple of meals that there is no way on earth he would be able to afford (or know how to cook!) so we are having a stir fry (he could manage that one, but loves them!) and a steak meal on Saturday - with puddings both nights which is a rare treat for me! Thanks to Mr T sending me a voucher for old unused delivery pass credit it saved me £31 on the shop (hence the extravagance and home delivery!) so really didn't affect my frugal budget in the end :A

I've also had £13.55 back from Qdco today so that has gone straight in the Christmas pot. No more spending this week and I'm actually getting to payday on Friday with money still left! Am chuffed to bits :T

Still looking forward to payday - not because I'm broke for once, but because I'm dying to get my hands on my YNAB budget and fiddle around with it :rotfl: I'm just so impatient!
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you got it linked up with your bank account?
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • I'm back online after two days of Norovirus followed by a really lovely weekend with DS at home :-) Am a happy mum!

Managed to not spend too much £35.26 which included a trip to Macdonalds for the boy! I did have to transfer him £300 though as his budgeting skills leave a LOT to be desired! Oh well, it's come out of his driving lesson pot so hasn't knocked my own budget about to badly - although I'll have to replace it before next summer of course :rotfl:

Mortgage OP and savings went out Friday and today so will update signature to reflect this - not a huge amount off, but it's in the right direction.

I also bit the bullet and signed up for YNAB - $83.99 for the year so not sure what that is in GBP but am hoping it will save me that and more over the next 12 months - and of course I can budget for it now I have the app! You can't link UK bank accounts to it unfortunately, but once it's set up it is really easy to pop the transactions in that it doesn't really need to.

Anyway, have a lovely week MFWers! And keep warm :)
  • Pre-weekend post - not a lot to update as it's been a quiet week and, fortunately, not particularly spendy.

YNAB is confusing me a bit :( I put a few spends on the credit card in October and some will be on a bill due mid November, the rest due in December. I have the funds to pay each bill off in full when it's due (but not all at once), but I'm struggling to get it all to make sense on YNAB. I've read and re-read their blogs and instructions and am so frustrated as I just don't get it! I was hoping that the start of a new month would work some kind of miracle and work it out but it hasn't. I am determined to make sense of it! Even (briefly!) considered raiding the Christmas savings pot to pay the stupid thing off so it's all neat and balanced again :rotfl:

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend :-)
  • paddyz
    paddyz Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds like you are going to do a fantastic smash of your mortgage and getting on with the single life and control over yourself and your future

It’s all quite similar to myself, I’m 53 and even though I have my bad days I know how I want to see myself in the next 10 years. Good luck
    Mortgage start Oct 12 £104,500
    current May 20 -£56,290_£52,067
    term 9 years aiming on being mortgage free by 7
    Weight Up & down 14st 7lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills