£1600 refund for internal water leak allowance

Options
After getting an astronomical estimated water bill for the coming year from my water company I rang them to say it couldn’t be right. I was asked if I had dual flush toilets, of which I have one upstairs and one downstairs. I was asked to take a meter reading before I went to bed, not use any water and check it again in the morning. I had used 160 litres doing nothing! I bought two new internal flush fittings and replaced them in both toilets. The water company told me to call them back in a week with a new reading and they would assess me with a one off leak allowance payment. I was expecting £100/£200 and couldn’t believe it when I was refunded over £1600! Totally over the moon and my new annual bill is less then half it was before.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Those figure don't seem plausible.

A leak of 160 litres overnight - say 8 hours - would mean approx 0.5 cubic metres a day. If you pay £3 a litre for water and sewerage that would be £1.50 a day. Thus they have refunded for about 3 years.

What have you been paying?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The water company refund you when YOUR equipment is faulty?
  • Eloquentlady
    Options
    We tried one toilet at a time and that was for just overnight on one. The cumulative for both was obviously more. They didn’t specify in the refund how far they’d gone back in assessing the leak allowance but our usage went from about 640 litres per day to now at approx 250 litres per day for two people.
  • Eloquentlady
    Options
    Yes. I couldn’t believe that either. We spent £40.00 on two new internal toilet fittings and even though it was our own internal leak they paid the one off leak allowance. I have no idea how far they backdated it, but I,m not complaining. If you think you have a leak, ring to ask and do what I did. If you repair without reporting I doubt you’d get the leak allowance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure