PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do you do to move out and in in the same day?

Hi,

We are hopefully completing very soon (hopefully exchanging next week, after our buyer drop-out early January, luckily we got another offer few weeks after). We decided not to do any packing until exchange, due to what happened before, however on Friday we were told completion date can happen before the end of the Month (:j and :eek:).

So, I have to start to organise the removal company, etc, however I cannot imagine how to move out and in in the same day???? The company only collect the furniture and boxes in the morning of the completion!!! How do you have time to clean the house?

Can you please share your experiences? Is this not so scary as it looks like?

Thanks and good luck for all waiting to complete soon!

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The removal companies are pretty fast at getting everything out if you've got everything packed.

Cleaning is hard and you're also just dying to move out. Do everything you can before moving day, eat fish and chips on the last day and give it a once over on your way out with the hoover and spray. Enlist friends for cleaning. I have helped friends on the day and they have helped me.

Label up your boxes well for individual rooms at the new house and label each room when you get there. Label priority boxes even better (or fill your car with the essentials) so that you have creature comforts to hand at the other end. Then you decide how little or how much to do when you get there. Hopefully they've cleaned, otherwise you need your friends again!

It's hard work, no doubt. I've moved a LOT in the past and every moving day is ingrained in my mind!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Preparation, preparation, preparation.... pack everything into boxes, load cars up, if you have a garage fill that, try to empty as much as possible but obviously the key areas are the kitchen and bathroom... You can then clean these areas. It will be a busy day...

Ive always kept my previous house to rent out but last move I was going to do over a week or so but my old rescue dog started to show signs of distress so I hired a van and moved about 15miles away in a few hours.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I've moved a few times - as said labelling the boxes and paying someone to move them is the key.

Personally if the bed and kettle are in place in the new place and everything else in boxes at the end of moving day I call that a success.

Last time I still had some boxes to unpack 4 months later. Some just went to the tip. Best to try and weed out the tip stuff before the day :-)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I totally recommend using the full pack / move service by the removal company - in quotes we had it was only a couple of hundred more than the overall cost and so worth it.

The removal company came and packed most things the day before moving (we thought we didn't have that much to move and still had more boxes than I'd have dreamed about) They then come and collect everything and pack anything remaining on the day of the move. The removal company supplied all boxes and being the experts, knew how to pack stuff in boxes and in the van. We'd moved a couple of times ourselves and things always got damaged.

Ideally one of you could be at the new property to meet the movers to unload while the other finishes cleaning at the old house. Unfortunately OH couldn't get time off work so I met the guys at the new house, for them to unload and left them to it while I cleaned the old house.

However I'd recommend doing all the cleaning you can, like the bathroom, as much hoovering as possible, kitchen etc before moving day. Much less stressful and a great excuse not to use the oven! :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Lorian wrote: »
    I've moved a few times - as said labelling the boxes and paying someone to move them is the key.

Personally if the bed and kettle are in place in the new place and everything else in boxes at the end of moving day I call that a success.

Last time I still had some boxes to unpack 4 months later. Some just went to the tip. Best to try and weed out the tip stuff before the day :-)

I unpacked the last box from our last move last weekend....we moved nearly 2 yrs ago :rotfl: although it was stuff I purposefully kept boxed until the room it was gonig in was decorated..in my defence :o
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Hopefully moving beginning of may. Contract says we will have to be out by 1pm. Going to be a mad morning with two little ones. Luckily we are only moving across the road so hopefully we will move all out garden furniture and garage items over before hand. Most furniture can be moved without dismantling.

1pm is a stupid time and with our buyers coming across the country I hope that gives more time to move and clean
    :p
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Another vote for the full pack/move service, it makes it all so easy! I opted for this last time I moved and wished I'd always done it this way before.The removal guys packed and loaded the bulk of stuff the day before,leaving me with a chair, TV, bed and whatever was needed for the next morning, when they loaded what was left, apart from one box with tea/coffee making items,which I took. Completion was around midday, everything was in my new place, furniture all in the right places, and I had my feet up relaxing with a cuppa after they left by around 4.30 pm. It wasn't an easy job for them, I have a large collection of vinyl and a fair amount of art deco ceramics and glass, but those guys really know what they're doing and seem to move at lightning speed! Nothing broken or damaged when I unpacked :) Well worth the extra money.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Get the rubbish off to the Tip now.
    You need to be ruthless in what you throw out as little point in packing tat and paying to move it miles and then store it in boxes for months/years.
    Label all the boxes with Room and IF fragile
    We packed ourselves and had much of our stuff in the garage before the big day.
    Keep a kettle, cups, tea/coffee and milk handy.
    Have a take away after you move in and Good Luck in your new home
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    When you're markings boxes, do it in big fat capital letters with a big fat bingo marker, and write on the top + 3 sides. That way, no matter how it's stacked in the van or lifted out, you'll always be able to see which room it's destined for :)
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,818 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    leon103 wrote: »
    Going to be a mad morning with two little ones.

If at all possible get relatives / friends to look after little ones (both human and animal) for the day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure