PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 10th April 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him soon as he may want a lift as far as my work so he can walk from there to the gym.

Now light, raining heavily and has been doing since some time during the night, laying water everywhere, arc will soon be needed. Forecast is much the same all week.

Dinner last night gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, and a choice of jam & cream donuts, cornetto type ice cream or ice from a tub. Dinner tonight will be similar fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg - as it will be a late one due to hairdresser coming.

Yesterday work was slow to start off with but then became busy, the telephones were ringing off the hooks, just calls stacked all day - so the customers have been holding for ages and are in a bad mood (quite rightly) before they speak to anyone. I was dealing with people yesterday that had been on hold for up to an hour. One of my colleagues said to me "when has it become acceptable for the us to be sworn at and called all the names under the sun before saying hello when we answer the calls?" Certainly doesn't make the job any easier, as you can imagine the stress levels are through the roof. Back to it today, we'll see wait today brings. Earlier finish today so shouldn't been too bad.

On a brighter note a savings plan that I've been paying into matured and I had a letter telling me approx how much it would be and that money has hit my bank a/c this am.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for starting off. Bleurgh it's damp and miserable outside and set to stay with us most of the day.

Yesterday was a long and tiring day as expected. We got Mr TA checked in about 7.15 and he didn't go down to theatre till 12.30. I was glad I had DS with me as this time I wasn't allowed to wait with him. We spent the day waiting and worrying, drinking Costa dry and eating sandwiches and goodies from the M & S food store. We both had a book but couldn't put our minds to reading. I was relieved when I got the call to say Mr TA was ready to be picked up. The op went ok and, apart from needing the loo every half an hour, he has recovered well. I wasn't very happy though about having to pay £16.40 for the day's hospital parking fee. It's scandalous when you have to pay for the privilege of being ill.

I must put my financiers head on next as I need to move some money between accounts and also pay the Visa bill. It only came yesterday but I like to get it paid and out of the way.

Then I will swap heads to my OS one. I want to make various things for the freezer that can be pinged in the mw when we are kitchen and cookerless next week. I have pastry (made and frozen last week) defrosting to make a couple of minced beef and onion pies which can be warmed in slices. Then some Bolognese to freeze in tubs to warm with jacket spuds and some Chilli to have with packet cooked rice. Lots of stuff in the freezer already too so we won't starve through lack of a kitchen I'm sure!

DS is coming this morning to use our garage to do some jobs on his car. No doubt he will be staying for lunch too.

Have a good day folks and thank you to the lovely people who thought of us yesterday. It means such a lot to know people can find the time in their busy lives and with their own worries and problems. ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them and take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Good morning and thank you for starting today's thread Hollyharvey.

It rained all evening and it is still persisting down so am not hugely looking forward to going to work. Still, once I get there, I should be out of the rain until mid-afternoon, and perhaps it will have ceased and desisted by then.

Holly how nice to reconnect with an old friend, hope today is good for you.

TA hope all has gone well.

I seem to have gone back into my poor sleep pattern and it is difficult to work effectively when I'm tired. My manager pointed out that I looked really washed out last week, she was being kind but it wasn't helpful. I am not sure if I'll have to do the London/Kent job now, unless I can plan it more or less immediately, time will not be on my side as it is a big job.

Less than 3 months to go now, in effect it is only 2, given that I will be taking some leave at the end.

I spent yesterday furtling and pootling, both of which are activities at which I excel. Holly I had to iron my clothes for work, I have had most of my work clothes for ages, they are still in good nick but have lost their ability to dry without creases. I only iron those plus pillowcases but in summer I mostly wear linen and cotton and those do have to be ironed.

I have eaten my toast, need to get in the shower and disguise myself as a real human now.

Hope this is a good day for everyone
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Damp and drizzly here again and set in for the day I think, the Easter Holidays has been a wash out for the kids this year.

Off to work for me and a work friend returns today after being off with stress so I hope that goes well. I had the Dr yesterday for my official results as said before they are all fine and he said I am very healthy ! He is going to test me for sleep apnea next and if its not that he thinks it might be stress due to work !

Not sure what we are having for dinner tonight will go and rummage in the freezer after this there is plenty in there.

Must do a wash tonight and have a sweep through, must also chase the builder re the quote for putting the kitchen right.

Right must get on have good days all xx
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Damp and drizzly out, not very spring like at all. Yesterday's bedding didn't survive the washing line, had to bring it in as the rain was torrential for a while. The last few evenings have been lovely but not until about 6.30 when it's too late to do anything outside. All I managed yesterday was a quick sweep of twigs, etc from under the hedge at the front. I don't think I'll ever get to plant anything outside at this rate!

Glad Mr TAs op went well yesterday, hope he has a speedy recovery.
    Sounds like meeting your friend turned out well Holly, it will be good for you to have something to look forward to next week.
    Good news that there's nothing underlying RR, it's probably the stress from work as it sounds full on for you with long days and too many shifts in a row. Hope you feel better soon.

I'm going to help DD with some decorating this morning then lunch with a friend later so had better get moving. Have a good day, take care. XX
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly, hugs to all those in need, glad yesterday went ok TA.

Raining here and has done for a few days, the river bank is very muddy.

I could do with finishing a laundry bag I've started making but it's too dull to sew by hand and there isn't enough in the batteries to run my sewing machine. I may cut out some card bags instead.

I need to sweep up the mud I walked in and then I may read for a while. The WiFi signal is very weak here too so I need to make my book last as I cannot download another one until I babysit for dd tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Morning all. It's raining heavily here, I think it's set for the day. I know we need rain, but need we have quite so much - it's a wonder we haven't rotted away with all this water!!
    Thanks Holly for starting off.
    You sound as if you are progressing well Holly - keep on going.
    Glad you and Mr TA got through yesterday Mrs TA - it must have been exhausting. I'm pleased you had Ds for support,

Usual Tuesday ahead - Tai chi,this morning, quiz tonight. Will pop and see Dgd and family.

Lainey, was it you who thought your posts were boring - I only ever think mine are !!
    I like to read about everyone's doings, ok we do the same things, more or less every day, interspersed with big events, happy or sad,but it's life.
    Dear me, philosophising at this time of the morning, I usually need half a bottle of wine to get to this stage, and I promise I have had nothing stronger than coffee.
    Enough of this waffling - thoughts and hugs to those that need them.
    Take care folks.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Damp and drizzly here today too. Yesterday I got my regular B12 jab and had my hair cut and coloured had 2 colours of highlights put in which should disguise the grey growing through better. I let it go grey when I moved 6 years ago and for ages it looked lovely, then I got poorly and have been so pale and washed out that I had colour put on again, whilst I can afford it, I keep thinking of other things I could spend the money on.

Check up at doctors this morning, learned yesterday that my GP retires at the end of this month, have sort of been expecting it, but very sad as she has seen me through all this complicated stuff (4 forever conditions, 4 consultants, 3 hospitals etc. Fingers crossed I can move to someone that can "keep everything pulled together"

Getting ready for a few days away to check out the 'van after the man has been to service it today then just 12 days to prepare for our long jaunt around Dumfries and Galloway.

Pleased that you had your son with you for all the waiting about TA, hope that Mr TA is good this morning,
    Holly great news about bumping into your friend.
    RR good that nothing major is wrong, but hope that you pick up soon.
    nmlc hope that you have a better day today.

Hugs and spoon all, hope that you can keep dry.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good morning everyone.

It's looking very watery outside, no rain just thin skies. We didn't have the torrential rain which inflicted camelot.

It's lovely to read such positive news from Holly and TA.
    AOD - three months will fly by, and then you'll be enjoying yourself more.

One of my neighbour's moved out two weeks without giving the keys to her landlord. Her only response to texts and calls was to send somebody to remove her numerous plant pots (leaving loads of broken rubbish behind) and open the house. Keys left inside the house but no communication for her at all. A full wheelie bin was left in an outbuilding so attracted vermin. Stupid woman! I can't understand why someone would behave that way.

Work on my front 'garden' starts tomorrow. :j:j:j A friend is bringing his mini digger to turn over and level the ground. Another friend will be making fencing and raised beds for it. He's already made a lovely long wooden planter which will go in front of the house and which I'll fill with herbs.

Right, I've watched the tide go out long enough!

Happy Tuesday to everyone.
  • tiredmum2
    tiredmum2 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Morning all Rain has stopped here thank goodness as with the two dogs the house floors are like a hairy mud bath i have given up mopping continuously and am just hoovering four times a day once the floors have dried i will have a good floor wash at the weekend when Kas goes home and its just 1 small dog . Walked both girls for about a mile off lead this am and i have to say Dolly is so much better behaved with Kas so i think she is bored on her own . Despite a good walk they are both bowling around with a tennis ball indoors ;(
    TA glad it all went well yesterday hopefully you can relax today with your book.
    HH be careful getting on and off the boat its so slippery everywhere
    Dinner tonight is sausage n mash lets hope DS comes home for his as i have his dinner for lunch today so will only be cooking for DH and DS
    Right better have a cuppa then sort these 2 out hopefully they will have a lay down in a bit
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport