PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 9th April 2018

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,328
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 13 April 2018 at 7:28AM in Old style MoneySaving
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

I have included a deep clean challenge this week. I thought as we are supposed to be heading into Spring, it would be nice if we did a bit of deep cleaning Obviously this is purely voluntary, you do not have to do it if you don't want to..

Killer Kitchen - Monday
Level One
Clear and wipe work surfaces
Open the windows and let in the spring!
Level Two
Sweep and Mop the floor
Clean the guncky filters and drawers from DW's, WM's etc
Wipe the cupboard fronts, appliances and all those manky corners!!
Level Three
Wipe the table, replace cloth if needed
Clean all those small appliances, wipe their home then put them back..
Wipe the icky things out of the fridge.
Extras
  • Clean oven/hob if you must.. *rolls eyes*
  • HHI .. with your clean iron!!
  • Clean windows and sills
  • Treat the pets for fleas!!! This is prime time for them to be developing an infestation.. the last thing you need in your house!

Deep clean challenge day one.. I do not want anyone straining themselves so if this is too much or not sensible because you'll hurt yourself don't do it!! Listen to your body.
  • Empty the cupboards and clean the entire insides, start with the worst cupboard!!.. shelves, everything.
  • Get rid of the chipped plates etc.. the chipped parts harbour germs of disgusting proportions as the pottery but it porous they have lots of places to hide.. revolting.. get rid!
  • Figure out what needs using up first and work it into your meal plan this week!
  • Clear clutter from shelves and wipe them over.. I want to see empty spaces and shiny shelves!!

Mad Tuesday - Living room, Hallway, Stairs
Level One

Remove clutter from floors, chairs and fireplace
Open the windows and let in some fresh air
Level Two
Vacuum floors and sofas
Wipe and water neglected plants
Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
Level Three
Vacuum under the furniture you can move
Clean windows, pictures, mirrors etc.
Clear a hotspot
Vacuum hall and stairs.. all the way up to the top!!!!!
Extras
  • Update financial spreadsheets/accounts.. if you have none to do.. DO SOME FILING.. all that paperwork HAS a home!!
  • Wipe woodwork in the hall and stairs
  • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
  • Wash any nets/curtains that need cleaning.. put up fresh ones!
  • Sort that corner full of shoes and coats and bags... I know you all put this off so Get it sorted.. before the proper nice weather hits!!

Deep clean challenge
  • Drag out all the furniture and clean the skirtings and all the woodwork
  • Change the pictures in the frames that you have been meaning to update forever!!
  • Put all the paperwork in one heap and sort through it
  • Sort out the magazines and newspapers and sling them in the recycling... if it's anything like mine I have my own magazine shop building up.
  • Scrub the manky marks off the carpet
  • Scrub the manky marks off the sofas

Study or other reception room & bathrooms - Wednesday
Level One

Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
Wash any curtains/blinds/mats etc that need doing
Level Two
Vacuum the floors
Clean bath, toilets, shower and sinks
Wipe down the tiles and defragment the pc while doing this.
Level Three
Declutter and dust the pc desk
Wipe away cup rings and sticky things
Wipe the keyboard, mouse, cables and sockets and suchlike.
Clean the windows.
Extras
  • Vacuum under movable furniture
  • HHI..
  • Deal with any calls etc that need doing
  • Clear a hotspot
  • Replace any dead toothbrushes and sponges

Deep clean challenge
  • Haul out the pc desk and deal with the destruction which lies beyond MSE land
  • Polish the cat & dust the menfolk
  • Wash the curtains/nets
  • Drag out the larger furniture you can manage and clean under and behind it.
  • Scoop all that hotspot into one heap.. and fling it in the bin.. keeping the bits you really have to, but put them away nicely.
  • Clean up any floor gibble

Master bedroom & landing - Thursday
Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
Fling open the window and let in the spring!
Level 2
Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
Air the duvet if the weather permits :D
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Level 3
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Sort 10 things from your wardrobe (or someone elses) that you can get rid of..
Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
  • 33 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
  • Clean windows in these rooms
  • Clear a box of clutter from the landing
  • Sort through that airing cupboard!!

Deep Clean Challenge
  • Sort through a pile of landing gibble
  • Sort your 'stash' in your bedroom.. you know the place that you stuff things and think.. yep.. I'll sort that later.. The one you hide presents in, yep we're all guilty of it me included!!!
  • Dive under your bed and drag out all the boxes and get them reorganised..
  • Find the floor.. not just a bit of it.. ALL of it!!!!!!!! and vacuum it
  • Wipe over the skirting boards

Friday - Childrens/spare rooms or a catchup
Level One

Clear the floor
Spend at least half an hour doing something just for yourself.. a nice bath, a manicure.. just your time! Make that appointment to have you hair done!!
Level Two
Strip the beds and wash those sheets.. and any duvets that need doing
Flip the mattresses over
Binbag dance
Level Three
Vacuum the floor
Deweb and defluff the room
Clean the windows
Extras
  • Wash any curtains/throws/cushions etc that need it
  • Wipe sticky marks from walls and doors and skirting
  • Clean any tv's, pc's playstations in the room
  • Put the discs/videos in the correct boxes and books on shelves

Deep Clean Challenge
  • Wipe the bed frames down
  • Drag the junk out from behind wardrobes, chests of drawers and under the bed.. deal with it appropriately.. and that does not mean stuffing it back under!! lol
  • Clear, wipe declutter and make pretty any shelves
  • Wipe over the big furniture.. wardrobes etc
  • Make the clothes in the drawer all neat and tidy
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award ⭐️

Comments

• Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,328
    Forumite
    Flylady 2018 Challenges - GO FLYERS GO

SCRIMPERS (no spend APRIL)

atypical blonde
    Lamewolf
    Pigpen
    Natty
    Kazwookie
    Jazee
    Honey Bear
    Valli
    Fayolle
    Yorkshirelass
    Lynnejk
    Mumof2

SLINKIES - weight loss challenge

Lynnejk - 9lb
    Narcolepsy *some*
    Valli 2st/28lb
    Dizzy Imp 2st/28lb
    FurryBeastOz 2st/28lb
    nannygladys 3st/42lb
    Fayolle 2st/28lb
    atypicalblonde 2st/28lb
    Princess Money Penny
    Ionafan
    Lil_me 5st/70lb
    JojotheTightfisted
    LameWolf 2st/28lb
    Roundtuit 56lb
    Jazee 2st/28lb
    Pigpen *some*
    MrsMoneypenny 1st at least
    Froddington 2st
    Dancemum 3st
    Mademoiselle about 2 st
    Ionafan 1st 11lb
    donnajt 3 st
    Rosemary7391
    Mrs Chaos 16lb
    Faete 2st
    Natty 1st 7Ib
    Kazwookie 2st tbc
    Honey Bear 5 kgs

Flymarketeers

FurryBeastOz
    Pigpen
    Valli
    Mumof2
    donnjt - £1k for hols

H2H (hovel to haven)

HoneyBear
    Froddington
    Roundtuit
    Mumof2
    FurryBeastOz
    funfairprincess
    Mrs Moneypenny
    hex2
    Fayolle
    lynnejk
    riotlady
    donnajt - by Summer
    Mrs Chaos
    Natty
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award ⭐️
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 8:09PM
    Yippee! I'm first!

Definitely in this week - thanks for the lists x

I'm tasking myself with a DIY job in each of the rooms in addition to flying. That way, some progress might be made.

In the kitchen I need to fill lime plaster shrinkage cracks, then paint to cover with claypaint.

See you all tomorrow x
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,918
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Ty for fred.. let's hope tomorrow is less painful than today
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,706
    Forumite
    I will try to potter and flutter; chances are though it will be left to the weekend
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,918
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 1:46PM
    ok.. Twinkle placed in her nest for the night. The other 3 finally shut up.. Squeak has had a head ache most of the day so headache + tired = wailing until she fell asleep!

Having lost weight I have developed bingo wings.. they actually make me feel a bit sick so operation 'sort those saggy arms' has commenced.. I nicked DD2's weights and am practising my arm movements.. I am SO weedy pmsl.. it will improve.. I won't have arms like Arnie.. they are 1kg weights.. I'm going for a bit of resistence and repetition .. quality not quantity.. but oh my days my arms are not impressed.. and while the legs are laughing at the pain of the arms they are not aware that once I have the arms down in my 5 minute routine a couple of times a day I am adding in some thigh toning.. the tum is a lost cause and surgery is pretty much the only option there.

Waiting for OH.. he was supposed to finish at 9 I think and hasn't yet messaged to say he is on his way so of course.. in my head.. he is dead in a ditch.. why is my brain such a drama llama?? I am a numpty and I know it.

My kitchen almost looks habitable.. 2 of the 3 work surfaces are clear, the table has a pile to fold but otherwise clear... there are no full wash basket cluttering it up and it is almost usable without fear of botulism!!

I really need to get this chair in here to my mothers.. it is cluttering up my whole room.. and I have 2 chairs to drop at charity shop and a pouffe to go too.. I will have some space if it kills me!

Tomorrow everyone bar the 3 who need to go are back at places of education.. so I shall have to contend with their lunacy alone for several hours but at least OH is home in the evening to take over.. he can bring DD3's stuff downstairs so I can paint her ceiling on Tuesday. I want that room decorated asap.

Killer Kitchen - Monday

• Clean windows and sills
    Deep clean challenge day one.
    • Empty the cupboards and clean the entire insides, start with the worst cupboard!!.. shelves, everything... wall units done, larder unit done, cat food cupboard done (It had rat poo!!!!!) 4 cupboards to go!
    • Clear clutter from shelves and wipe them over
    Mad Tuesday - Living room, Hallway, Stairs
    Level One

Remove clutter from floors, chairs and fireplace
    Level Three
    Vacuum hall and stairs.. all the way up to the top!!!!!
    Extras

• Wipe woodwork in the hall and stairs
    Study or other reception room & bathrooms - Wednesday
    Level One

Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
    Level Two
    Vacuum the floors
    Wipe down the tiles
    Extras

• Deal with any calls etc that need doing ~ smart meter people, bill people if I can bear it after the SM wombats.

Master bedroom & landing - Thursday
    Level 1

15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort 10 things from your wardrobe (or someone elses) that you can get rid of..
    Extra tasks list
    • 33 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    Friday - Childrens/spare rooms or a catchup
    Binbag dance

LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,883
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for the listys, this week and last. I'm definitely in this week, including the deep clean as far as I get to manage it. School holidays here for another week, so hopefully more chance to get some jobs done.

DH snoring in front of an apparently rivetting programme on the tv. I may have to take drastic action in a minute...
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Natty :A I'm in for tomorrow and Tuesday but then I'm heading to the SW for a few days :D

Killer Kitchen - Monday

Clear and wipe work surfaces
    Open the windows and let in the spring!
    Vacuum the floor
    Wipe the cupboard fronts, appliances and all those manky corners!!

HH H2H
    Clean at least one ratty cage
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 10:04PM
    Thanks for the new thread :)
    Will be doing very small amounts as n when able..
    Still very unwell & mega cheesed off about it all too:mad:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,403
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 7:55AM
    Morning all.

Thank you to Valli and Natty for the threads.

Yesterday I
    - washed all the boys' bedding and remade their beds.
    - listed 3 items on eee-by-gum
    - sorted out my ISA and other savings accounts for this year (to be actioned next week when the old accounts get to the end of their terms)
    - dealt with sundry other admin

Today I must
    - [STRIKE]ring HMRC [/STRIKE]about my incorrect tax code (recurring problem every year, because I receive a pension annuity which always stays the same) and to ask whether I still need to fill in a Self-Assessment tax return - done, and both now sorted to my advantage :D (but Dizzy be aware that as self-employed you will have to complete a long and complicated tax return)
    - drop a bag off at the CS
    - take Rosie for her 6-month check, then a run on the hills - she will do the running, I will walk :rotfl:
    - do some more work on my essay
    - clear the decks for the carpenter's visit tomorrow
    - list more items, if time

I have a busy week ahead and am away next weekend at a conference, with an overseas delegate coming back here to stay for one night afterwards, so I may not have much time to post, but I will keep up with the thread when I can and will send posivibes as needed.

Hope you feel better soon, MadamMin x

Have a good week, everyone, especially those whose offspring are returning to school :D (though in this area school hols continue until next Monday) x
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,888
    Forumite
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok today, yesterday sounded a bit stressful for some of you.

Thanks for the list, I may be in. I managed to strip the bedding and buy a dress yesterday but didn't get around to cleaning the floors.

Today, I have a really stiff neck and shoulder from the gardening on Saturday so I am tired and lacking enthusiasm.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family