PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    pineapple wrote: »
    According to various sources and a recent TV programme, farmed salmon is full of nasties so sardines might be better anyway. Our village has a travelling fishmonger - he gets fish straight from the docks. I got some lovely fresh sardines off him. According to Google you are supposed to remove the backbone and innards. I took off the heads too as I don't like my food looking at me. :shocked: It was a bit messy and difficult (especially if you feel you need to avert your eyes) and you lose some in the process of course.

Thanks Pineapple

It does make me wonder, with all this in the news about plastic too (microbeads, plastic in whale's intestines, etc.) whether I should avoid fish altogether!

Todays grub:

Porridge with banana AND low fat yogurt.
    Bean soup and couple slices wholemeal bread.
    CBA tea - oatcakses with peanut butter, raw carrot....

Snacks - apple, small handful of nuts....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    I have had one of those days where I feel restless/can't concentrate so time was dragging. I eventually decided to make a pot of soup - a new recipe for me that I was going to make over the weekend anyway. It's parsnip and chestnut so that's the lurking parsnips and an overlooked bag of chestnuts taken care of :)(I had bought them yonks ago on SO for Christmas sprouts and then forgot I had them and got more:o).
    I do wish I had done it in the pressure cooker though as it's taking an age to cook - I decided not to as I was worried the chestnuts might stick to the bottom but actually I think it would have been fine. Thankfully I wasn't planning on having it tonight:).
    Apart from soup making it has been a very uneventful day though I did manage to start the switch process for my gas/electric. My current tariff ends next week and one of the companies I had been researching came up on the MSE Energy Club deal so I'm feeling very :money:as the price was going to hike up a fair bit with my current supplier, even though I'm not sure my payments will actually go down by more than a few ££. Although my house is well insulated I do use a fair bit as I'm at home all of the time and refuse to be cold so use what I need:) (Though I'm sensible about it;)).
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I was expecting a visit this morning, and was running late, so brekkie morphed into brunch of yet another 'Oatein' protein cookie.
    However, having said on here I would cook spinach and lentil dhal/dal, I jolly well did so. Mine had a bit of garam masala added, along with garlic and Quark instead of yogurt, for a less 'runny' meal. It also had a lot more spinach in it, which was a good thing.

Never in the history of cooking has something that sounds so dreary tasted so good, I swear. The second time I've made it, and it's a keeper.

I enjoyed it far more than last night's sardines. Fiddly, and the bitter parts had to be carefully avoided. The Japanese like this bitter tang of some fish, and eat one variety (mackerel pike I think) cooked with the guts in, although apparently, this is also a personal preference. I was glad to read this, as it's vile, in my book.

The can of spinach (from Spices of India) yielded enough spinach for another meal sometime, and the meal itself a satisfying portion for lunch either tomorrow or Saturday. I'm buying that canned variety again, it was great value.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was expecting a visit this morning, and was running late, so brekkie morphed into brunch of yet another 'Oatein' protein cookie.
    However, having said on here I would cook spinach and lentil dhal/dal, I jolly well did so. Mine had a bit of garam masala added, along with garlic and Quark instead of yogurt, for a less 'runny' meal. It also had a lot more spinach in it, which was a good thing.

Never in the history of cooking has something that sounds so dreary tasted so good, I swear. The second time I've made it, and it's a keeper.

I enjoyed it far more than last night's sardines. Fiddly, and the bitter parts had to be carefully avoided. The Japanese like this bitter tang of some fish, and eat one variety (mackerel pike I think) cooked with the guts in, although apparently, this is also a personal preference. I was glad to read this, as it's vile, in my book.

The can of spinach (from Spices of India) yielded enough spinach for another meal sometime, and the meal itself a satisfying portion for lunch either tomorrow or Saturday. I'm buying that canned variety again, it was great value.
    Completely agree, Dhal of any sort looks very drab but boy does it taste so good:D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2018 at 9:35PM
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Thanks Pineapple

It does make me wonder, with all this in the news about plastic too (microbeads, plastic in whale's intestines, etc.) whether I should avoid fish altogether!

I was pescatarian for a while - but then went back to vegetarian again with this.

"They" tend to be being remarkably quiet about whether it's still safe to eat fish or, if they do raise their heads above the parapet, don't sound that convincing (ie I've not seen any hard evidence it's okay to do so). So - I'm tending to the view that "They would say that wouldnt they?" if there's any comments about it still being safe.

At which point I think - "They aren't going to keep making their livings - at the expense of my body". I understand they want to keep their income and people can't half "stretch the truth" a lot if it's going to hit them in the pocket if they tell the truth. But first things first, ie our health.

I'm betting that fisherman the other day that cut open a fish and showed us photos of all the plastic gunk he'd found inside it is about as popular with other fishermen/women as "snow in Hawaii" (ie they probably aren't going to speak to him ever again for doing that....:cool:).

I'd say that genie is right out of the bottle now personally....I'm annoyed, as I'd like to be able to have the odd bit of (wild) salmon still (if I can find it here that is...:cool:) but "Oh well...I cant" <shrugs>. I don't anticipate it being possible to eat fish again safely imo in my lifetime. Maybe in a century or two's time....when I won't be around anyway...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just eat what you want because there is a "scare" of some sort about everything... a following, somebody young and perky pouting on Instagram about it....

Everything.

Even if fish were pure ... what about the food miles, the pollution to the planet?

:)

And what if there's any plastic wrapping? Ooh does that come from oil?

Everything makes you a planet killer and all foods cause cancer.

Just eat what you like .... because in 10 years' time there'll be a big breaking news story about how everybody was mis-lead over everything as it was all engineered half truths created and perpetuated by Millennials to sell books and get 1million followers on Instagram :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Kittie- you're spot on of course, my hot moments are definitely waking me. I don't have the heating on after 8 PM but I do have all feather 13 tog duvet and under sheet feather bed, but I'm a cold body generally, and can't sleep if cold either!, at the moment I just can't seem to get to sleep no matter what time I go to bed I'm awake till 1pm. Which isn't good when I'm working.

Tea yesterday was fishfinger butty, with lettuce, cheese and a coating of g.mayo and ketchup on the bread. Followed by the last rice pot, needed eating .

Just had 2 toast and cheese spread, and trying to decide wether to go walk to get a hair dye or leave and pick up after work tomorrow.

I love fish and as I don't eat much protein . I don't really want to know about these scares! !!!!:rotfl:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2018 at 10:32AM
    Just eat what you want because there is a "scare" of some sort about everything... a following, somebody young and perky pouting on Instagram about it....
    Ha ha... I prefer raw unpasteurised milk. To me it tastes miles better and I would happily take the 'risk' if only I could get it locally. You can still find it in some places, but it is on the norty list. Meanwhile one can fill one's face with sugary food, canned food, food smothered in plastic and - my particular favourite - that compressed supermarket gunk masquerading as cooked ham etc :(
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yesterday's total scoff was: spud/beans/cheese, 2x crumpets/chocolate sauce, a bowl of honey nut cornflakes and about 1/5th of a tube of pringles.

Today .... those crumpets need eating. No idea beyond that thought.
  • I had the last slices of bread with marg and Marmite and a kiwi fruit.

I have the end of the cashew nuts and a Cocoa orange Nakd bar for a snack and then the leftover pasta bake for lunch.

I will probably make some green tea too.

Not sure about dinner yet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure