Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• Qasim99
    Qasim99 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on a 18 month can still call retentions after 12 months or do I have to wait till the last month.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Qasim99 wrote: »
    I'm on a 18 month can still call retentions after 12 months or do I have to wait till the last month.

If you are on an 18 month contract you can phone up in month 17 to give notice (unless Virgin put your contract price up mid contract which may give you the opportunity to give notice/leave early).
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    If you are on an 18 month contract you can phone up in month 17 to give notice (unless Virgin put your contract price up mid contract which may give you the opportunity to give notice/leave early).

I am in same situation. I was effectively paying about £18/month for 50mb (now 70mb) broadband and line rental. Best they can currently do is £25 but that's without line rental.

I put in my notice but I'm hoping they phone and see what they can do as £25 for the quoted bb only isn't a good deal IMO.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    shapala wrote: »
    I am in same situation. I was effectively paying about £18/month for 50mb (now 70mb) broadband and line rental. Best they can currently do is £25 but that's without line rental.

I put in my notice but I'm hoping they phone and see what they can do as £25 for the quoted bb only isn't a good deal IMO.

Same here.
    A customer for 4-5 years now, been on the 50MB broadband only. I was paying £18/month last year, although before hand I think i was on £17 and £16. so every year it has been increased by like £1. My contract expired in December 2016, they said they can no longer go for £18 and no matter what. I said I'll continue without a contract.
    So now I am on a rolling contract with around £24 a month. Phoned up and went for leaving, handed my notice after the advisor rudely says "you should be getting that much discount, your £24 should be at least £29!". I said to him that's nonsense I've paid £18 last year so even £24 is too much.
    Let's see if they call back. Any advice? Any specific company that "I am looking at" that will really annoy them if&when they call back?
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2017 at 6:57PM
    Options
    Just called Virgin Media and selected the "thinking of leaving" option.

I have a 6 and a half year TiVO box (the smaller storage size) that is slow as anything and said I feel the current package is not particularly good value and that I wanted to see if there were any better offers available or to leave if not due to better offers elsewhere. Best they could do was knock £10 off my £97 package (More TV, Sky Sports, Sky Movies HD, 50mb broadband and phone) bill and send out a new identical TiVo box (not the larger one). Would have cost £114 for a new V6 box and wouldn't offer the upgraded TiVo. So I just asked to cancel and received a cancellation date in a month's time.

Will they call back at any point or should I just look to switch now?
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, I understand that 3 months after cancelling you can qualify to be a new customer. The current VM account is in my fiancee's name. Can we cancel and then I get the new customer offers in 3 months time? We can live with just normal freeview in the timebeing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sok777 wrote: »
    Same here.
    A customer for 4-5 years now, been on the 50MB broadband only. I was paying £18/month last year, although before hand I think i was on £17 and £16. so every year it has been increased by like £1. My contract expired in December 2016, they said they can no longer go for £18 and no matter what. I said I'll continue without a contract.
    So now I am on a rolling contract with around £24 a month. Phoned up and went for leaving, handed my notice after the advisor rudely says "you should be getting that much discount, your £24 should be at least £29!". I said to him that's nonsense I've paid £18 last year so even £24 is too much.
    Let's see if they call back. Any advice? Any specific company that "I am looking at" that will really annoy them if&when they call back?

Had a call back today. She said the best she can offer me is £20 a month for 100MB broadband for a year. I took it.
    I think I could have probably haggled a bit more for some credit, but as a loyalty discount I felt it was the maximum she could do.
    Good luck to you all.
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Currently paying ~£38/month for 100mb and weekend call package. Called them yesterday and they wouldn't budge below £34 so have cancelled. Let's see if they call back...

Was targeting £30 as I can see that's a new customer offer via uswitch, but given edirepair's success above, maybe I'm not aiming low enough!
  • hunsbury0
    hunsbury0 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been quoted by VM Retentions for 100mb broadband (the minimum speed they offer) at £38.00 per month, which also includes Landline that I don't want. But works out even dearer just for the broadband without the landline!
    New customers get 3 services (tv broadband & Landline) for £32!
    I am penalised for being a loyal customer for 16 years!

BT are offering for TV, 52mb broadband (Guaranteed 50 mb at my post code) & landline for £28.99 per month +£69.99 set charge but also £150 reward credit! works out for the first year as £22.33 per month.
    Virgin Media are going to loose me!
    I will also email their CEO about this!
    I will also check out Sky as they are offering me 60% discount for the 1st year.
    Sad to leave VM but they don't want to look after their loyal customers!:mad:
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i rung up today as the £8per month discount ended a few days ago, went with the "thinking of leaving" and it automatically checked my account, said the £8 was ending and would i like it to continue for another 6 months (no contract extension) so pressed 1 and all done.

I have been calling every few days as I had the message last month and ignored it as I needed to speak to them - I went back and the message was no longer there (it was another £3 off the already discounted deal :)). The 6 month credit expired yesterday, so I tried again today on the off chance and the automated message was there - I accepted so hopefully another £3 off per month :cool:.

I was going to do the line rental saver but I think that would push me into credit each month from that point onwards (obviously paying up front so not free - I mean the monthly payments from then on would be minus!).

Anon
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure