PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What happens if vendors don't remove agreed stuff?

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,196
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why is this important? I got the sense it was informal agreement between the woman owner and her cousin and partner who were just staying there until the house had been sold/so the house wasn't empty.

What exactly should I be saying to the EA? That her cousin and partner need to move out ASAP? Surely because the vendors still own the property it is theirs to do with as they like?
    The concern is as to whether they will actually leave. If the relatives are paying something, the owners could have inadvertently set up a tenancy even if there is nothing in writing. In that case they would be entitled to stay until they are correctly evicted.

You definitely need to tell your solicitor of the situation and to follow their advice, which will probably be not to exchange until the house is empty.
  • Thank you for your advice, makes sense. I shall let the solicitor know.

What happens in this instance, does my solicitor write to their solicitor and inform them of this?

What should I say to the EA? That I've spoken to our solicitor and won't be exchanging until they have moved out?
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for your advice, makes sense. I shall let the solicitor know.

What happens in this instance, does my solicitor write to their solicitor and inform them of this?

What should I say to the EA? That I've spoken to our solicitor and won't be exchanging until they have moved out?

I'd recommend taking your solicitor's advice. When things get sticky like this, your solicitor earns their fee. The last thing you want is to say something to the EA that is legally incorrect.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Just remind the agent that you won't be able to complete without vacant posession, and that this needs to be clear to the vendors.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is it possible to hold back part of the purchase price - say £5000 - to allow for this.?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    No.
    need to make ten characters

But it would be possible for them to lodge, say £500 with the OPs solicitor , repayable if the rubbish has been cleared.
  • AnotherJoe
    Forumite
    Just remind the agent that you won't be able to complete without vacant possession, and that this needs to be clear to the vendors.

And I would go round on day of exchange* and check house is empty, and also ensure that the solicitor doesn't exchange until they've heard from you.

* if you can. If you live 200 miles away that might be a problem :D
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Then change the locks on arrival, along with taking photos of meters etc, to ensure your new home stays your exclusive residence.

I do hope we're not worrying you? All being well there should not be a problem, but it never hurts to be excruciatingly clear.
  • AnotherJoe wrote: »
    And I would go round on day of exchange* and check house is empty, and also ensure that the solicitor doesn't exchange until they've heard from you.

* if you can. If you live 200 miles away that might be a problem :D

We do live far away, but I'd take the time off work to do this.

Then change the locks on arrival, along with taking photos of meters etc, to ensure your new home stays your exclusive residence.

I do hope we're not worrying you? All being well there should not be a problem, but it never hurts to be excruciatingly clear.

I appreciate all the advice, it's something I hadn't thought about so forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Just to be clear, on the day of exchange, does that mean we own the property? I thought we could only change the locks etc on day of completion?
  • AnotherJoe
    Forumite
    We do live far away, but I'd take the time off work to do this.

I appreciate all the advice, it's something I hadn't thought about so forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Just to be clear, on the day of exchange, does that mean we own the property? I thought we could only change the locks etc on day of completion?

I think there was some sloppy wording somewhere yes you can only change teh locks etc on completion. On exchange you do not own it but in effect the seller has pledged to sell it to you at a specific date.

You do need to insure it from day of exchange.
  • AnotherJoe wrote: »
    You do need to insure it from day of exchange.

Thank you for this, another bit of information that I didn't know. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure