Gone from full time to part time: what should I be paid?

Comments

• Right. Start again. I think I’ve figured out what happened. If gore the fact that I have a new job. I’m working this out from my old job, which is where I got my £800 wage from.

£1520.60 gross pay, pro rata to 24 hours per week is £912.36.

£1300.00 take home pay, pro rata to 24 hours per week is £780. Rounded up because the boss man likes round numbers is £800.

New question: is that how you’re meant to work out a part time wage? Because I’m thinking that you’re meant to go from the gross and not the take home. Is that right?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 11:02PM
    Right. Start again. I think I!!!8217;ve figured out what happened. If gore the fact that I have a new job. I!!!8217;m working this out from my old job, which is where I got my £800 wage from.

£1300.00 take home pay, pro rata to 24 hours per week is £780. Rounded up because the boss man likes round numbers is £800.

New question: is that how you!!!8217;re meant to work out a part time wage? Because I!!!8217;m thinking that you!!!8217;re meant to go from the gross and not the take home. Is that right?

Yes. The gross is what youre paid, and the take home can vary from millions of things from pensions, car salary sacrifice, student loans, earnings attachments.

Normally when you go for a job they tell you what the salary is. You dont normally say i need to be paid at least £800 As now it looks like theyre paying you £800 as you asked, but your actual pay is lower. They dont know if youre paying child
    Maintenance, a hefty debt back through earnings attachment etc, so at the get go wouldnt agree to a net pay because they could be agreeingtoo all sorts
  • So my last employer worked it all out wrong! They were underpaying me too. Thankfully it was only for 3 months but that!!!8217;s still £336 I!!!8217;ve been underpaid.

Does anyone know if I can do anything about that? Or is it too late now because I!!!8217;ve left?
  • marliepanda
    So my last employer worked it all out wrong! They were underpaying me too. Thankfully it was only for 3 months but that!!!8217;s still £336 I!!!8217;ve been underpaid.

Does anyone know if I can do anything about that? Or is it too late now because I!!!8217;ve left?

You said that pro rata it worked out correctly in your last post, but ‘rounded up’ from 780 to 800?

What was your GROSS pay on your payslips.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 11:19PM
    Could this not be age related pay?? So you've dipped out somewhere - Enrolled for more then basic pension on top at some point? Anything.

I've asked for a rounded up to 10k on a job application for a 24 hour per week job recently - I'm currently just over 18k (well even then only 'proportionate' when considering the job term EG !... won't have worked the full year!) for 35 hours a week. Three jobs in one currently.

Yes you can persue it - but you really should have raised it while in employment rather then out of it - and you might want to consider very carefully if your industry is based at all on references going forward as I can tell you to have a professional reference behind you is worth more then any money at times.
  • You said that pro rata it worked out correctly in your last post, but ‘rounded up’ from 780 to 800?

What was your GROSS pay on your payslips.

From my calculations they have rounded it up from £780 to £800. The £780 was worked out from £1300 take home pay pro rata to 24 hours. I’m just assuming this is what they’ve done. But I’m pretty sure they’ve worked it out from my take home and not my gross pay.

I they didn’t give me any pay slips from when I returned to work in August, up until I left in December. I was that desperate to leave, I didn’t even realise until I’ve just started trying to work this out.
  • marliepanda
    From my calculations they have rounded it up from £780 to £800. The £780 was worked out from £1300 take home pay pro rata to 24 hours. I’m just assuming this is what they’ve done. But I’m pretty sure they’ve worked it out from my take home and not my gross pay.

I they didn’t give me any pay slips from when I returned to work in August, up until I left in December. I was that desperate to leave, I didn’t even realise until I’ve just started trying to work this out.

No one can tell you anything without access to the information on your payslips. There are hundreds of reasons this could be the case.
  • Could this not be age related pay?? So you've dipped out somewhere - Enrolled for more then basic pension on top at some point? Anything.

I've asked for a rounded up to 10k on a job application for a 24 hour per week job recently - I'm currently just over 18k (well even then only 'proportionate' when considering the job term EG !... won't have worked the full year!) for 35 hours a week. Three jobs in one currently.

Yes you can persue it - but you really should have raised it while in employment rather then out of it - and you might want to consider very carefully if your industry is based at all on references going forward as I can tell you to have a professional reference behind you is worth more then any money at times.

Not age related. Im 29.
    I wish I had questioned it before then! Its only coming to light now because Im trying to work out my hourly rate, and I’ve gone back over my full time pay to see how much I used to earn and it’s thrown it up. At the time, i just assumed it was because I didn’t have to pay tax any more, which made it lower. And I had worked it out from my take home wage, which worked out right.
  • No one can tell you anything without access to the information on your payslips. There are hundreds of reasons this could be the case.

I’ll ask for copies of them then. Thank you.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Right. Start again. I think I’ve figured out what happened. If gore the fact that I have a new job. I’m working this out from my old job, which is where I got my £800 wage from.

New question: is that how you’re meant to work out a part time wage? Because I’m thinking that you’re meant to go from the gross and not the take home. Is that right?
    Yes, but it could be argued that an employer could reasonably expect YOU to do the same. Because until you start, the employer has no idea what your tax code should be, whether you have student loan deductions to make, even (new complication here!) whether you're domiciled in Scotland and therefore potentially paying a different rate of tax. (OK, I accept that may be unlikely in the majority of cases, but it remains a possibility!)

There are a few cases where the net salary is what is negotiated on (nannies, for example), and the employer is then expected to gross up to cover deductions, but you need to start taking deductions into account, checking payslips in future, and working out your gross pay expectations next time you change jobs.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport