Password reset questions and feedback

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They have explained why on two threads and closed the threads directing us here without even addressing the every 5 day issue.

They have addressed the five day issue, it's now 90 days :D
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »
    Because they are a business its probably seen as "not cost effective". At some point, it wouldn't surprise me if they dump the forum as a "cost saving". Which would be a mistake as I'm sure lots of people come here and read the main site because of the forum. If the forum goes, I suspect they'll get a lot less traffic to the main site.

This is true I think, another site I use a lot is imdb.com (international movie database) which has practically every film and TV series there ever was listed on there, with all the information on the cast, directors, and also reviews etc, and trailers for new films. Very useful when you recognise an actor from somewhere else, and it is niggling you and you can't remember where! But it also used to have a lively forum, which they axed a couple of years ago. I probably only spend about a third of the time I used to on there, because of this. Site owners shouldn't underestimate the forums.
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    The 90 day lifetime of a password before having to change it again seems overkill. I don't even know of an online banking service which requires a customer to change their password after 90 days, never mind a discussion forum!

As mentioned, there are better ways of dealing with spam on a forum as well as implementing HTTPS which does not result in inconveniencing users.
  • bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 8:43PM
    Options
    The forums are constantly full of spam especially in debt/credit, same spam bot day after day and nothing you have done so far as made much of a difference. if you going to run a forum as popular as this one you need to put the resources in to stop spammers like this, they are ruining this forum.
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    90 day password is a totally rubbish way to avoid spam, and just annoy users, find a better way!

Also starting answering peoples questions. If there is nothing wrong, MSE have nothing to fear.

Two common questions for starters...

1) Has the site been hacked
    2) Why isn't the forum served via HTTPS
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    With the change of password why is there still spam on the funny money thread despite the spam notification? Obviously the password change did not work, don't be surprised if another one is needed.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Jinhao159
    Options
    I got a reply when I reported the problem via the help pages. However, it is not very reassuring.

MSE are trying to ensure our passwords are secure (I haven't worked out how using unencrypted transmission of passwords makes them more secure).

The site isn't less secure, it is just that users are now more aware due to browsers warning us about insecure pages (hmmm... it's OK because I now know it is not secure).

They HOPE to provide https in the coming months (nice to see security of our data is a high priority, I am reassured that I have nothing to worry about).

The reply was:
    "We’re looking at all areas including asking people to make sure their passwords are secure.

It is not possible to connect to the forums with a https connection at the moment. We hope to provide that in the coming months.

As you might be aware, over the past year many websites have started to offer https connections to improve security, and many browsers, including Firefox, have started to highlight websites that have not yet switched over.

Our forums are not any less secure than they have been in the past. It is your browser that is offering more information on your connections. Regards,
    MSE Forum Team"
    At least I have set up a new user ID with a unique password and an old email address that hadn't been used for 2 or 3 years, and was only a back up email then.
    I have not completed any of my personal info such as name, dob etc.
    I will revert to my original user profile when the site is secure, assuming I wait around that long and still trust MSE.
    Also interesting that MSE has not commented on the number of posts asking if there has been a hack or data breach, just commenting about making passwords secure.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Guys you need to chill out, Andrea is rushed off her feet trying to deal with all this. I promise you she is doing everything she can. This forum means a hell of a lot to her personally. She'll answer your questions when she can, she can't be around 24hrs a day she is only human!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Guys you need to chill out, Andrea is rushed off her feet trying to deal with all this. I promise you she is doing everything she can. This forum means a hell of a lot to her personally. She'll answer your questions when she can, she can't be around 24hrs a day she is only human!

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Why is she rushed off her feet trying to deal with this? Deal with what exactly, hasn't it already been done?

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Has there been an emergency? If you decide, out of the blue and after 10+ years to force a password change, you presumably put some forward planning in, like having an answer ready when users ask if MSE has been hacked.[/FONT]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »
    Because they are a business its probably seen as "not cost effective". At some point, it wouldn't surprise me if they dump the forum as a "cost saving".
    I'm afraid this has been my fear for quite some time now. I'm afraid it's rather inevitable with the rise in popularity of other social media.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure