PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Wow, VfM4meplse, £40 for a month. If you even got close to that I would be in complete awe of you!

I have fallen so badly off the wagon. Our total was £543.55 last month!!!

We just can't afford that. We are a family of 3, and one of us is only 19 months old for god sake!

I set the target at £300 again this month, but am already up to £261.92! I have started to put together a meal plan though. Have got 3 weeks worth of meals planned now (though, weeks 2 and 3 could do with some variety/tweaking). Still got week 4 to plan.

We stuck to it last week for the main meals, but snacking is letting me down. As is my Dr Pepper Zero habit. I have a much clearer idea of how much I spend on that now, and it is pretty shocking!

I've also developed a bad habit of shopping at the big S, as it's convenient on the way to work!

I reckon, if I stick to the meal plan, cut down on the Dr Pepper Zero and shopped more at Liddel and Morries, I could stick to the budget pretty easily and maybe even cut it down.

Have made a promise to myself to cut out the shops at the big S from this point on!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • TooClumsy wrote: »
    where we had to walk past the krispy kreme fridge...I just wanted one doughnut. It obviously works out cheaper per doughnut if you get a dozen, so um, we got a dozen for £12.75 :( in total
    Wow, am I reading that right. I do like your reasoning though, it's probably much cheaper to buy in bulk, but they don't keep, so gotta eat them quick.

Sorry to hear about all the poorlies - i'm another one, i'm afraid. I smashed myself up bad, running for a bus on 1st February - the day my dry January ended actually, funny that. Anyway, been on 10 painkillers a day, not happy about that, not been able to walk, or use one arm, as put my shoulder out, so no spends, though the lodger did buy some toilet rolls ,(about bl**dy time), 4 titchy ones, I had to look twice, were they made for a hobbit? and a friend came 'round with some bits, 2 pks of wraps, 2 pks falafel, cucumber, houmous, tomatoes, but wouldn't take any money. Gonna have to chuck loads of veg, as was unable to cook or even freeze it and try and cook the rest up today or tomorrow. Any CABBAGE recipes greatly appreciated. Am going to make coleslaw, spicy lentil dip and have made leak and potato soup for freezer. I still have a brimming pantry, with loads of different beans, so can make a ton of meals. Just made some oat milk and have enough oats left to make one more batch, so hopefully will last 'till Monday, when I will try to venture out. Have a lovely w/e everyone.
  • Small spend in the local shop (some items for my Ma as well)
    Still feeling rubbish, work was fab and told me I wasn't to come in today, it'll be a loss in the wage department, though (what's left of) my health is more important..
    £8.13, including ys ham and flat breads to go with our curry tea ;)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £2.50 ish in Lidl, went with friend and I had internet purchase item to return, so more lemons to slice for freezer, whilst on super 6,and a naughty pack of biccies.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • MrsPear
    MrsPear Posts: 55 Forumite
    I do hope everyone gets well some - some very unwell and broken bodies!

No ideas for cabbages - other than saut! - or sardines in tomato sauce. I pick up the ones in olive oil.

So updated signature -

Co op - £1.09 chocolate chips - made the chocolate cake for my children. They are most happy.
    Sainsbury’s - £15.75 -
    children surprised me by eating all the yogurt at breakfast. Plus juice and milk for the wend and sunflower oil.
    Fish shop -£7.80 - youngest asked nicely for a treat of chips for tea. They had red sausages too and chicken :eek:
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
  • Hoping not to spend too much in the next few days.
    Whoops, went shopping and I spent £8.04 on vegan yogurts (on offer), dates, apples, pears, avocados and adzuki beans.
    OH spent £11.59 on noodles, yogurts and a joint of beef.

Me - £41.14/£54. £12.86 left.
    OH - £26.70/£81. £54.30 left.
    Total - £67.84/£135. £67.16 left

I do not need to shop again this week!
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • MrsPear wrote: »
    I do hope everyone gets well some - some very unwell and broken bodies!
    No ideas for cabbages - other than saut! - or sardines in tomato sauce. I pick up the ones in olive oil.
    I'm vegan, so don't eat sardines, but thank you.
    I spent £8.04 on vegan yogurts
    Where were the yogurts from?
  • Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Where were the yogurts from?
    Mr S. The 500g Alpro cherry and blueberry are both on offer for £1.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • klbooth
    klbooth Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Couple of planned spends this week. Hubby picked up a tray of chicken breasts for me from the market but that also meant he picked up sweets for himself, doh. Shop today in Aldi for milk and bits.

£113.84/£430
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good evening all :)

I'm a bit behind (nothing new there!) and have just totted up our amounts for January and my aim for Jan was £750 to include groceries and takeaways, including lunches, pet food, toiletries, cleaning products and healthcare items. Well, I'm pleased to say that we came in at £670 :)

So, I'm setting our target for February to being:

£500

Which given DH and I are on a bit of "health kick" should help us avoid some of the takeaways, which is where the majority of the spends go and the calories come in.
    GC - March 2024 -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport