The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 9:01AM
    kittie wrote: »
    Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter QUOTE]

yes it is as is hibernating or getting more dozy in the day. I always go into hibernation indoors mode in winter. It does not do me any harm, come spring I can still ride my bike up hills, when I used to think I would be struggling after not using those muscles. I do though tend to do lots of stuff while standing as it is a mini form of exercise and I go upstairs when I need something, rather than putting it off. On sunny `warm` days then I go out and do a few things, bit of weeding, tidying etc. It is what animals do

paper tea filters: dried herbs/normal tea in pouch, put in mug, they are long so the top folds over the side. Use twice if herbs. Compost afterwards

I think a fair number of people must - possibly in much of the country? I'm still getting my head around there being noticeably fewer people on the streets here sometimes in the winter....as I'm used to everyone "carrying on regardless" and that's what I expect of myself too. I think I'm very much a product of my home city - and some years spent living in hot climates as a child.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    These look really handy, I have a similiar set in my lean to for gardening stuff and they hold loads. Hope yours arrive soon.

I have something similar I bought from L1dl for the shed... but these specific ones state 20Kg on them and right now I can't walk into L1dl to see/check and buy more. I can't remember how much the L1dl ones were, possibly £16, these are £10 which is what tempted me to act irrationally and just buy them.

But ... for the shed ones, which I think are higher, I only ended up doing the bottom layers because adding the top layer made it too high to fit into the shed :) I hate it when that happens ... so I've got shelves ... and a bit left over, which is always a disappointment when you think something will solve a problem and just creates a new one (having to keep the leftover bits in case in the future I want that bit)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,058
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think mine originally came from IKEA many moons ago, they are not high about 5ft so fit just fine in my low lean to.
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 9:22AM
    caronc wrote: »
    I think mine originally came from IKEA many moons ago, they are not high about 5ft so fit just fine in my low lean to.

I originally wanted Ikea Albert shelves - and immediately bought two sets when I moved here.... but they need putting together (which is a pain in the butt) - and now can only be moved whole. They also have slatted shelving, which can cause things to not sit straight - and the shelves are just held in with small screws, so you run the risk of overloading, especially if your building skills weren't great.

These plastic ones come apart if I ever wish to move them, can be split down into two halves if I wish, in a trice, will enable stuff to sit squarely and not collapse due to relying on tiny screws. They're just more flexible and robust ...shame they're black but beggars/choosers and all that. I'm sure I could find a modular system, similar, in a sustainable wood material for £400-700 if I looked hard enough :) These were £10, available now and up the road.

I tend to favour furniture pieces I can manage alone, without tools. I have four side/occasional tables dotted around whose legs screw off, which is great for using them, putting them back, storing them and going up and down stairs with them. They take up little space until the next time I need one of them. e.g. I use one for Xmas.

Any item whatsoever that requires TWO people will simply never fit with my lifestyle as there are never two people here.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,058
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I originally wanted Ikea Albert shelves - and immediately bought two sets when I moved here.... but they need putting together (which is a pain in the butt) - and now can only be moved whole. They also have slatted shelving, which can cause things to not sit straight - and the shelves are just held in with small screws, so you run the risk of overloading, especially if your building skills weren't great.

These plastic ones come apart if I ever wish to move them, can be split down into two halves if I wish, in a trice, will enable stuff to sit squarely and not collapse due to relying on tiny screws. They're just more flexible and robust ...shame they're black but beggars/choosers and all that. I'm sure I could find a modular system, similar, in a sustainable wood material for £400-700 if I looked hard enough :) These were £10, available now and up the road.

I tend to favour furniture pieces I can manage alone, without tools. I have four side/occasional tables dotted around whose legs screw off, which is great for using them, putting them back, storing them and going up and down stairs with them. They take up little space until the next time I need one of them. e.g. I use one for Xmas.

Any item whatsoever that requires TWO people will simply never fit with my lifestyle as there are never two people here.
    Yes looking online I think my one is IKEA Albert one, my ex built it up. Modular is great , I have re-purposed old "mini greenhouse" plastic frames as staging in my greenhouse- so easy to put together and take apart when it is just you.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 10:31AM

Awaiting those shelves to arrive at the shop, so I can collect.... checked this morning and they're on their way, but not arrived.

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/7109-kis-4-tier-plus-shelf.aspx

some click n collect's are really slow. Matalan were like that when I ordered something. Messaged them on Twatter to complain and hey presto, my order arrived in store.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    I just distrust ordering things you can't see and have no control over. I like being able to walk into a shop, see it and walk out with it, which is why I started by seeing them online and driving to the store (2 miles), especially as that's my shop for "favourite chocolate biscuits" and "multipacks of loo rolls" and my shampoo, so it wasn't a wasted journey as I could get those other things.... except they didn't have the unit.

When you order online and have to register you're not sure what will happen, or what you're "signing up to". It was the 7th, the current status says they were despatched on 8th ... but now what. Will they take 3 days (site indicates 1-3 days) from the 8th?

Then, how will I know? I keep checking online in "my account" so that's handy it's there, but it's lacking in information. Certainly no "Bob is the driver and your order is currently circling the M25 ... expect it Tuesday morning".

So, let's assume the shelves arrive at the store.... will they go into the system, will there be an interruption and be put to one side/forgotten.... will a numpty accidentally put them in the shop and they get sold as stock ... will the correct ones have arrived ... when I open them will it all be there/undamaged.....

I hate all that "not knowing what the end outcome will be".
  • spirit
    Forumite

So, let's assume the shelves arrive at the store.... will they go into the system, will there be an interruption and be put to one side/forgotten.... will a numpty accidentally put them in the shop and they get sold as stock ... will the correct ones have arrived ... when I open them will it all be there/undamaged.....

I hate all that "not knowing what the end outcome will be".

it's all computerised, a list will be printed off in store. They are packaged up as click n collect (same happens in a5da) so there's no way it'll be absorbed into normal store stock.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    Click and Collect never occurs to me at supermarkets.... my local Sains used to have a van parked in the car park by a sign - I never understood it. They've recently marked out two bays for C/C well sign posted and the other day I saw somebody parking there, so watched for a bit, but was still confused. A woman/man/child parked. Man/child walked away. Woman got out of the car and I think she spoke to the machine .... after that I left, so no idea what happened in the end.

:)

No idea if you're supposed to sit at the car and wait, or go inside, or what.
  • spirit
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 12:11PM
    Click and Collect never occurs to me at supermarkets.... my local Sains used to have a van parked in the car park by a sign - I never understood it. They've recently marked out two bays for C/C well sign posted and the other day I saw somebody parking there, so watched for a bit, but was still confused. A woman/man/child parked. Man/child walked away. Woman got out of the car and I think she spoke to the machine .... after that I left, so no idea what happened in the end.

:)

No idea if you're supposed to sit at the car and wait, or go inside, or what.

Supermarkets (or Matalan that I know of) don't keep all their stock in stores - even the larger stores, so If you've seen something online and don't see it in store, you can do the C&C. I've done a few things for my daughter's new baby. Lots of clothes they liked weren't in A5da. the Moses basket wasn't in Matalan store and had to be C&c'd. the A5da was the fastest to deliver to store. Matalan took forever.

I've not used the 'station' that they have at the 'drive in' ones (T3sco has one here too). I assume you press a button and someone from the store brings it over to you in the car.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback