Who responsiable for the graffti on my wall. Council owned alleyway.

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Thank you for the response guys. It's private property but the people who are doing the graffti are doing it from the alleyway as the alleyway is a path by our house so my wall and neighbour wall is exposed. If we did'nt have the alleyway we would'nt have graffti. I don't think they would lock the alleyway as it very popular.

The other house across the alleyway has had the side on top of the fence grafftied. That is'nt the only problem as my neighbour propertry has also been burgulared. The alleyway connets to the other side of the road and both of these houses have also been robbed. Some one knock on my door around 10pm at night and ran off. We did'nt have any lights on so I am sure that they where trying to get in.
    But if someone threw a load of rubbish over your low garden fence would you expect the council to remove it as it was from the public road. they would say it is your property you clean it up
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If we did'nt have the alleyway we would'nt have graffti. I don't think they would lock the alleyway as it very popular.
    Isn't that a bit like saying that if there wasn't a road running outside of my house then burglars would have a much more difficult job getting to and breaking in to my property so if I'm robbed, it must be the fault of the council or government for putting a road there?

Provided that the alleyway was legally put in place then the council won't be responsible for what users of that alleyway get up to.
  • I lived here for 12 years. I've always cleaned it up. When I had a fence I would paint over it. But now when I made a brick wall it's very hard to remove it all the time. It's like saying If my neighbour chucked rubbish into my garden would I need to clean it?. If i chucked rubbish in the alley would the coucil clean it?.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    As burglary seems to be an issue in your area then you might want to consider having a monitored alarm installed, though this certainly isn't cheap (mine is £30+/month with ADT). The police response time has been around 5 minutes for both the alarm and the panic button on the 3 occasions they have been activated.
  • Iamfineyesterday
    Iamfineyesterday Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2017 at 7:55PM
    I have adt and a cctv system. I pay £39 for adt a month. They charged me £45 to changed the batteries. They have loads of hidden charges. Charges for fobs for examples.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    I lived here for 12 years. I've always cleaned it up. When I had a fence I would paint over it. But now when I made a brick wall it's very hard to remove it all the time. It's like saying If my neighbour chucked rubbish into my garden would I need to clean it?. If i chucked rubbish in the alley would the coucil clean it?.

If your fence was getting defaced with graffiti then why did you choose to replace it with a wall which would be more difficult to clean? A nice thick hedge would have been a better solution.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    LilElvis wrote: »
    If your fence was getting defaced with graffiti then why did you choose to replace it with a wall which would be more difficult to clean? A nice thick hedge would have been a better solution.

Yes and a thorny one at that.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you for the response guys. It's private property but the people who are doing the graffti are doing it from the alleyway as the alleyway is a path by our house so my wall and neighbour wall is exposed. If we did'nt have the alleyway we would'nt have graffti. I don't think they would lock the alleyway as it very popular.

The other house across the alleyway has had the side on top of the fence grafftied. That is'nt the only problem as my neighbour propertry has also been burgulared. The alleyway connets to the other side of the road and both of these houses have also been robbed. Some one knock on my door around 10pm at night and ran off. We did'nt have any lights on so I am sure that they where trying to get in.

It's up to you to clean it.

Have you reported and of the damage or antisocial behaviour to the police?
  • I had a fence with barbed wire. It' did'nt look very nice and my garden is really big so would have been an eyesore . I decided to make a big long wall. The people on the road and I did report it to the police but as it was happening regularly gave up. If we want to sell the house a wall would look much better which I now think does.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had a fence with barbed wire. It' did'nt look very nice and my garden is really big so would have been an eyesore . I decided to make a big long wall. The people on the road and I did report it to the police but as it was happening regularly gave up. If we want to sell the house a wall would look much better which I now think does.

So they no longer think it's a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport