Solar panels

Options

Comments

• theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you took it in the humour it was intended!!

Well, if you are serious about solar PV, you're in the right place.
    Most of us have solar PV, some actively moan against it, but none of us have an interest in selling anything to YOU!

What'll you get here is honest advice, based on our own experiences, that will ensure you go into this with your eyes open, fully informed and understanding what your investment can achieve.

As Mart said yesterday, the PV FAQ is a great place for info.

But to give you more info, if you provide your rough location, your roof direction (mine is southeast/northwest, or in compass terms 135 degrees from north) and the rough length/width of the roof on one side (so we can get an idea of usable area) and if there are any obstructions (chimney/rooflight etc) then as a community, we'll be able to give you an idea of possible returns and possibly some reputable suppliers.

Good luck!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Tonks52
    Tonks52 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Martyn. I only have the details that I got from the not so honest salesman - I can post the company he was from if that is permitted - just as a way to warn others.

60 degrees from south
    30 degree roof pitch
    Kk figure 1012
    System size 4.06 KWp
    shade factor 1
    Estimated production 4108.72 KWh

Quote was for:
    14 x 3000 black mono crystaline panels
    1 x invertor
    1 x epc survey
    1 x hot water heating unit

My energy company (Avro) estimates that i will spend 781 this year on electricity
    Estimated Annual Usage
    Electricity 6636.2 kWh
    Gas 31421 kWh

(apologies thought i had sent this yesterday!)
    Will check the link in your signature - thank you!
  • Tonks52
    Options
    Thanks. To add to my reply to Martyn, my rough location is Ashford Kent.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    You are a heavy user of electricity.
    I have seen my usage fall from 3300kWh to 1000kWh since my install.
    Though I have changed my usage to match the generation.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Tonks52
    Options
    I don't see how tbh. Really don't know where it all goes! Not like we have a swimming pool with electric heater..

What did you mean when you've said you've changed your usage to match the generation?
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    your gas and electricity usage is about 2x average.
    Should add that my gas usage has also fallen from 13000kwh to 9000kwh since install due to iboost heating my hot water and an oil filled radiator.
    I charge laptops, phones, ipads etc when generating, also any energy intensive activity is shifted towards max generation time.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2017 at 12:00AM
    Options
    Tonks52 wrote: »
    Thanks Martyn. I only have the details that I got from the not so honest salesman - I can post the company he was from if that is permitted - just as a way to warn others.

60 degrees from south
    30 degree roof pitch
    Kk figure 1012
    System size 4.06 KWp
    shade factor 1
    Estimated production 4108.72 KWh

Quote was for:
    14 x 3000 black mono crystaline panels
    1 x invertor
    1 x epc survey
    1 x hot water heating unit

My energy company (Avro) estimates that i will spend 781 this year on electricity
    Estimated Annual Usage
    Electricity 6636.2 kWh
    Gas 31421 kWh

(apologies thought i had sent this yesterday!)
    Will check the link in your signature - thank you!

Hiya Tonks, no worries, so let's have a looksie.

First off, slight discrepancy, if the panels are 300Wp each, then the PV will total 4.2kWp. For 4.06kWp they must be 290Wp panels.

Had a quick play with PVGIS (see section 5 of the FAQ's), and for Ashford it estimates for 30d pitch at -60d from south* that you'll get 3,790kWh pa from 4.06kWp or 3,930kWh pa from 4.2kWp, so not far off what you were told, and most of us seem to beat the PVGIS estimates by a bit.

* If you are +60d from south (SW not SE) then you'll get the same generation, but you might save a little more on leccy bills as afternoon/evening generation is a better match to consumption (just saying).

Your consumption (bad news) is massive!
    Quick google and low, medium, high estimates are
    leccy - 2,000 / 3,200 / 4,900
    gas - 9,000 / 13,500 / 19,000

Our consumption in a 3 bed semi is 3,000 leccy and 7,000 gas.

Good news, the more leccy you consume, then the more you will probably save with PV. [But first off have you fully insulated the property, and installed low energy lighting etc, as these are easier and cheaper wins?]

This next bit gets a bit trickier, but if you have the space, then it's probably best to go bigger on the PV, as the costs fall (proportionately) as you install more, since a lot of the costs are fixed (scaffolding, labour, inverter etc etc) and the panels are relatively cheap.

Lots to explain, but probably best you ask away and we all point you in the right direction, or suggest advice.

BTW, we've cut our import down from that 3,000 figure I gave earlier to 1,500. We generate approx 4,200-4,500 pa, so export about 2/3rds.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Ryanfuego
    Ryanfuego Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    My cousin uses such panels, he's very satisfied and it consumes money a lot. He's spending reduced up to 60% overall. I suggest you to use it.
  • Tonks52
    Options
    Think I need to call my supplier for an updated estimate. We moved in in October taking the house over from a nature family of four and have kept with the same supplier. So perhaps the estimate on my bill is more customised for them. I'm in a family of four for the past six months but that consists of a two year old and a six month old... So cannot see how we would be to times the average!

Fingers crossed anyway
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nobody seems to have addressed the 'matching usage' question fully. So I'll try.

You want to make sure that as much of the electricity you use comes from your panels rather than paid for from the grid. So you want to make sure that appliances which use the most electricity (generally those that heat such as washing machines, dishwashers etc) are used when there is most electricity generated. For me (with panels facing S and also W) afternoon is best. So these appliances are used then. However it is also worth noting that these appliances may well use all of the generated electricity on their own at certain times. So I stagger the use of the dishwasher and washing machine - although once these have heated the water at the beginning of the cycle I can turn on the other appliance.

How far you take this is up to you: you may get a travel kettle which takes a lot longer to boil but generally can be used from free electricity (a full size kettle may use more than available at certain times of year and times of day). When I cook breakfast on a weekend I try to have only one appliance on at a time as there is not much electricity. So I stagger kettle, oven, toaster and microwave. (and of course never have the washing machine or dishwasher on at this time).

Personally I don't worry about timing or monitoring low power items: LED lights, phone and laptop chargers etc. As their power usage is minimal compared to the big stuff.

If your system is set up so it's easy to monitor (either via the internet or a conveniently located inverter) then it's pretty easy to learn how your system performs and to make the most of it.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family