greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Oops - MiA again - it's been full on at work here with exam stuff (I worked 33.5hours last week - I know that's not that much in real terms - but for a very, very part time job it's a lot!!:eek::rotfl:) Bare minimum being done at home - washing, minimum ironing (ie: stuff we need - rest is building up...) and feeding people! :D Weekends have also had stuff on - DS1 uni open visit 2 weeks ago and today (2 down, 3 to go) and last weekend we collected DD from her uni halls (she was the last one of 8 in her flat - her flatmates had mainly abandoned all their kitchenware (mostly unwashed), frozen, fresh and cupboard food items and lots of cleaning products (essentially unused....) There was a donation point literally in the next building for things too - lazy pigs! - if the kitchen had been left in the state it was when we arrived they would have had a large fine split between them. DD had been cleaning and emptying stuff out from the kitchen for 3 days (both rubbish and donations) Webrought all of her stuff back and I also brought back a Sabat1er potato peeler, 2 really nice sharp kitchen knives and a stack of unused Sistema clip boxes of varying colours and sizes - along with 5 part used bottles of wul and most of a pack of Per5il capsules (as someone had pinched DD's washing powder I felt that was ok) I cleaned loads of stuff (unless it looked beyond hope) and took it to the donation point, along with lots of tinned foods left behind. I would have been ashamed if my child had left it like that (she wouldn't have dared, tbh! :D) (there were things like Jamie0liver cutlery, waitrose food items etc - not even cheap stuff)

Have paid another £1k off the BTL :T and can pay sub account 3 off entirely next month when the rent has been received :j

We have had the kitchen quote in..... :eek::eek::eek: - but I did choose solid wooden doors etc, so I shouldn't really be surprised! I have most of that sat in account called 'kitchen fund' and then we have quite a lot left in the co as directors loans at the mo so I can take the remainder from there. I'm holding off ordering it for a couple of weeks, because I want to revisit the showroom when we have a quieter weekend (ooh - that'll be in a month, then!) and maybe tweak a couple of points. I think I've found a plasterer (we aren't having tiles this time around, so the walls will need sorting, as will the windows - we're also going for windowsills this time too, rather than tiles. We have an electrician sorted - just need to find a local good Karndeeeeean floor fitter - the last one we used didn't do a great job. I can see it being done for just before Xmas, I expect!

Roll on July - exams will have finished (with a good payday to be had from them this month!) and life will be less hectic (after the 10th, anyway)

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, greent, fancy the flat being left in that condition - sorry you had to do that, but at least you brought along the excellent quality leavings with you - how appalling that that kind of stuff was abandoned!

Not surprised you've been MIA - the amount you fit into your life continually amazes me :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    Options
    Honestly, the flat was disgusting - it was bad when we'd dropped DD back off at Xmas and Easter but this was so much worse - they'd just given up doing anything!

Rare morning off work - I've tidied the freezer and updated the inventory, made and frozen packed lunches for the rest of the week (busy mornings, so it will help), washed and hung out a load of laundry - and done 45 mins of ironing - I know how to live!! :rotfl::rotfl: Just grabbed a quick lunch as I am leaving in 10 mins - will be spending this afternoon scribing for a candidate in a 3 hour exam in a little (and hot) room... candidate has also been off school yesterday with a throat infection - am hoping they've got some antibiotics - that's my 'weak' area and I don't want to be ill (I do feel sorry for the candidate - they are lovely)

x
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Dishwasher...don't have it alongside a wall so the door opens parallel to the wall.

Coffee and milk splashes all up the wall.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Enlightened at last! Thank you! Makes perfect sense now.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • chumpy45
    chumpy45 Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sadly your tale of the Uni kitchen wasn't surprising - I have seen some truly shocking scenes during pick ups. DS2 rang me today as he moves out of his house on Saturday and said he was cleaning the toilet and bathroom of his house (which he shares with 7 others) as apparently no-one else would do it. I do wonder what kind of homes some of these youngsters have when they have such apparent lack of respect for fixtures, fittings and belongings. Felt quite proud of DS2 for cleaning a toilet :j Kitchen sounds fab GreenT, am very envious. Good luck with the rest of exam invigilation, the end is in sight :)
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. [STRIKE]01.08.16 £42,418.93[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.02.17 £36,584.00[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.04.17 £34,694.7[/STRIKE]1 [STRIKE][STRIKE]09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :[/STRIKE][/STRIKE]) [STRIKE]06.08.18 £24,769.47[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.18 £23,825.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]22.01.19 £21,990.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE][STRIKE]06.02.19 £21,200[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] [STRIKE]03.03.19 £19,862.93[/STRIKE][STRIKE]01.05.19 £18,509.63[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.08.19 £16,750.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.10.19 £15,400.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.19 £14,700.00[/STRIKE] 01.12.19 £13,956.00 01.02.20 £12,503.61 01.04.20 £10,999.00
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Aah, it does..we have a washing machine that does that..only way we could fit it in. But..as its just clothes, its worked OK really. Wouldn't want to do it with a DW.

Ugh to dirty student digs. I can't wait.....:(

DD1 is putting off uni for a year she says..much too disenchanted with exams and study. And she wanted to concentrate on AS levels and her new job so no open days for us, but expect we will do some next year. We are going to Wales for holidays...so I may get her to walk round some campuses and get a feel if we go near a couple on our trip round.

x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • greent
    Options
    Dishwasher...don't have it alongside a wall so the door opens parallel to the wall.

Coffee and milk splashes all up the wall.

Aaaahhhh! Makes total sense now! :D
    chumpy45 wrote: »
    Sadly your tale of the Uni kitchen wasn't surprising - I have seen some truly shocking scenes during pick ups. DS2 rang me today as he moves out of his house on Saturday and said he was cleaning the toilet and bathroom of his house (which he shares with 7 others) as apparently no-one else would do it. I do wonder what kind of homes some of these youngsters have when they have such apparent lack of respect for fixtures, fittings and belongings. Felt quite proud of DS2 for cleaning a toilet :j Kitchen sounds fab GreenT, am very envious. Good luck with the rest of exam invigilation, the end is in sight :)

I know DD ended up cleaning the kitchen a couple of times before - and regularly cleaned the fridge of slimy/ mouldy foods _pale__pale_ They each had their own ensuite shower room - I dread to think what some of them were like!!:eek:
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Aah, it does..we have a washing machine that does that..only way we could fit it in. But..as its just clothes, its worked OK really. Wouldn't want to do it with a DW.

Ugh to dirty student digs. I can't wait.....:(

DD1 is putting off uni for a year she says..much too disenchanted with exams and study. And she wanted to concentrate on AS levels and her new job so no open days for us, but expect we will do some next year. We are going to Wales for holidays...so I may get her to walk round some campuses and get a feel if we go near a couple on our trip round.

x

Deferring application/ entry for a year seems to be *reasonably* common, for a variety of reasons - it's whatever works for each person, I guess. It could be an option for us with DS1 if he doesn't get any offers for medicine for this year. Tbh, I think it's a hard decision at 17 to decide upon a degree to potentially choose your career - and there's such a huge cost involved nowadays too - not a decision to be taken lightly.

x
  • greent
    Options
    DS1 has now done 4 uni open day visits - the last one is this Weds. He has internal end of year exams this week at school (someone decided running Y12 exams whilst the end of the public exams were also running was a good idea - and decided to advise (kind of ask...) the exams office once the public exams had already started, so timetabling and arranging rooms and invigilators had to be done in between...... hmmmm....)

But on the upside - only this week of work left - 2 full days and 3 half days for me. (although Monday (tomorrow!) I'm timetabled to finish at one school at 10.15 and start scribing in an exam in the other school at 10.30...... :eek:

OH not only has confirmation that this contract has been extended to 21st Dec and that he can work at home 2/3 days a week - they've also upped his daily rate by another £50 (they agreed quite readily to all of this - perhaps he should have tried for more!!! :rotfl:) And they are virtually insisting he takes time out over summer hols:T

We're back off to Wales next weekend to get DD's keys to her flat for next year - so we're taking over several boxes of her stuff (inc a good supply of cleaning stuff) - which is great, as it means it's not hanging around all Summer (kitchenware, bedding etc) I'm hanging on to the Lakeland heated airer until she goes there properly though - just in case of rainy periods over the summer!

Money wise.... hmm... nothing newsworthy to report. Still aiming to pay off BTL sub acct 3 next month after rent received. CC bills very low this month as I've generally used c/ac to spend from. Too much rubbish-y spending on takeaways this month - will improve in July once work has finished :) NNS is second Sat in July, so hoping to shift some stuff/ get some money in then. Have a small fleabay sale to post this week, so will transfer funds from that to kitchen fund :) Have a heap of stuff to list (mainly kids toys which will raise more on fleabay than at NNS, even with addition of postage costs!) but just been too tired - once it sells (thinking positively here! :D:D) I have a huge storage unit which will be empty, along with 2 large bags currently stored on top - will make a big difference to that room. (family room - which serves as the multipurpose guest room/ teenage den/ gym/ playroom)

Right - off to catch up a bit more on ironing whilst waiting for bread rolls to cool before I can bag them up :)

xx
  • easylife73
    easylife73 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi greent, I've just caught up on your whole diary (!) as I was reading it earlier on and then fell of the whole MSE wagon, but have very much enjoyed reading about your journey. We too have a DS halfway through A levels and hopefully off to university next year. We've just been to our first open day, but the rest aren't until September/October time so nothing to compare it to yet. It will probably be the preferred choice as it is very local (only about half an hour away) and as he has been diagnosed with autism we want him to be reachable if necessary.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback