We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Advents?

Comments

• Emily93
    Emily93 Posts: 78
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been excited about the advents since last years finished :P I won an amazing prize last year, HAIR magazines entire gift guide! I had some scattered inbetween, perfumes etc, but it's a running game in my family for Christmas. Whatever I win during December is used as a gift and relatives have had some pretty funny gifts (including a calculator with a little ship floaty bit inside), it's a laugh. Always have a good time even if I don't win anything :)
  • chrissie57
    chrissie57 Posts: 4,857
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    [IMG][/img]upset-smiley-emoticon.gifrunning-turkey.gifrunning-reindeer-smiley-emoticon.gif
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The Advents used to be a lot of fun, but in recent years a lot of them have swapped decent prizes for discounts or naff pictures.
    TBH, it's much more fun reading the threads on the forum when the sob stories are at the peak of their powers and people put daft pictures or their kids/pets/older relatives or whatever else in daft poses/costumes which they think will give them an edge over everybody else on Facebook.
    Anyway, I only want two things to happen this year (other than winning something 'cos I don't do very well on advents, but I might put a pic of my Hound wearing a daft hat as an experiment - you have all been warned, muhahaha) and those 2 things are -

1) The return of the Haggis Hunt

2) The return of the legendary 'Stick-Man' that appeared on here last year.

If those happen, I'll be perfectly happy :D

Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,412
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    dontone wrote: »
    The Advents used to be a lot of fun, but in recent years a lot of them have swapped decent prizes for discounts or naff pictures.
    TBH, it's much more fun reading the threads on the forum when the sob stories are at the peak of their powers and people put daft pictures or their kids/pets/older relatives or whatever else in daft poses/costumes which they think will give them an edge over everybody else on Facebook.
    Anyway, I only want two things to happen this year (other than winning something 'cos I don't do very well on advents, but I might put a pic of my Hound wearing a daft hat as an experiment - you have all been warned, muhahaha) and those 2 things are -

1) The return of the Haggis Hunt

2) The return of the legendary 'Stick-Man' that appeared on here last year.

If those happen, I'll be perfectly happy :D

Be Lucky

The haggis hunt - the sweet memories of the haggis cam. The only thing to bring joy to the Advents so cruelly taken from us, how we mourn thee.

ps I also liked the Lufthansa reindeer
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Moneybot wrote: »
    The haggis hunt - the sweet memories of the haggis cam. The only thing to bring joy to the Advents so cruelly taken from us, how we mourn thee.

ps I also liked the Lufthansa reindeer

Which one was the Reindeer, I can't remember that one. I like that Santa one that DFDS do, even though it is a bit frustrating when Santa can't jump for toffee :D

One of my all time favourites was the Jean-Paul Gaultier one. That was hilarious, that need to come back as well.

Be Lucky :)
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • mansey
    mansey Posts: 4,584
    Forumite
    The Advents are fab :j

Ignore what they are all saying :beer:

You all go do every Advent :T

I will just plod along through the boards and hope there are a few less entries on those comps :rotfl:
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.” - Billy Joel
    C2W........718/1000......FB...........526/1000
    IG...........667/1000......MD..........652/1000
    2020 January Challenge
    Simply Media 423/1000
    Winning Moments 85/1000
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    one year I won every day on the advents, the next year zilch, last year one but I did win more on "normal comps" in Dec
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    rosemac wrote: »
    Not that i grudge anyone a win but goodness.

I'm the complete opposite, I grudge everyone that wins if it means I didn't :)

Even that Beauty Base fiasco yesterday, I got myself in a tiff 'cause I didn't get a winning email, even though all the winning emails were sent in error :)
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Anyone ever do the Flamedeer over on HDUK? it drove me nuts.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,412
    Forumite
    dontone wrote: »
    Which one was the Reindeer, I can't remember that one. I like that Santa one that DFDS do, even though it is a bit frustrating when Santa can't jump for toffee :D

One of my all time favourites was the Jean-Paul Gaultier one. That was hilarious, that need to come back as well.

Be Lucky :)

It was the one where you had reindeers in a pen and you got things for them like hats.

I think you could win something but I didn't really care I just loved the reindeer.
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport