Default Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2019

Options

Comments

• StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has any of u guys stayed in Laughlin ??

I got my road trip to Vegas booked already for September, 1st 2 nights were staying in Big Bear Lake, but thinking for the 3rd night, staying in "Harrahs Laughlin" , as it has a mini beach !

Is the area like a smaller version of downtown ? (withouth the lights!)
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    Has any of u guys stayed in Laughlin ??

I got my road trip to Vegas booked already for September, 1st 2 nights were staying in Big Bear Lake, but thinking for the 3rd night, staying in "Harrahs Laughlin" , as it has a mini beach !

Is the area like a smaller version of downtown ? (withouth the lights!)

I wouldn't recommend staying at Harrah's Laughlin to be honest. You may get free nights when you log in to TR, and it looks fine, but it's separate from all the other hotels. I'd recommend Aquarius. I'd also suggest their buffet, it's ok, and has free margaritas (or other drinks) and a nice view of the river. It's not high end food though. It's not a high end place like Vegas.

Will you be near Oatman? It's worth a visit if you're in the area. Little burro's wandering the streets. Also, Lake Havasu City is an interesting stop to see the old London Bridge.

It's very hot in Laughlin, hotter than Vegas. One time we were there, we were going to cross the road to the outlets and decided to go in the car instead. That hot! The other time it was cloudy and cool because of bad weather but it's likely to be very hot.
  • martmonk
    martmonk Posts: 863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For our trip this year we're flying into Vegas, staying 3 nights, then having 4 nights at the end of the trip with 4 nights in the middle to fill.

We've been toying with a number of options, most of which involve getting in a car and driving somewhere, which is the sort of thing we've done a few times.

However, we've been struck with the idea of doing a 4 night all inclusive break to Los Cabos in Mexico and I wondered if anyone here had either done something similar or has any cautionary tales to tell about booking a holiday within a holiday using a US travel agent?

I'm comfortable with our travel insurance provisions and there's plenty of time either side of travel to not worry about flight delays - what might I be missing?
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    martmonk wrote: »
    For our trip this year we're flying into Vegas, staying 3 nights, then having 4 nights at the end of the trip with 4 nights in the middle to fill.

We've been toying with a number of options, most of which involve getting in a car and driving somewhere, which is the sort of thing we've done a few times.

However, we've been struck with the idea of doing a 4 night all inclusive break to Los Cabos in Mexico and I wondered if anyone here had either done something similar or has any cautionary tales to tell about booking a holiday within a holiday using a US travel agent?

I'm comfortable with our travel insurance provisions and there's plenty of time either side of travel to not worry about flight delays - what might I be missing?
    Can I ask what you mean about being "comfortable" with your travel insurance?

My first thought before I came to that comment was that your travel insurance may not cover you. Most insurance policies state that travel must start and end in the UK. It would depend how your own insurer interprets that.

One view could be that the side trip is all part of the same trip. However a lesser insurer may regard it as a separate trip if it wasn't all booked as one package.

Personally, even if I was 99% sure it would be covered, I would contact my insurer to have it clarified and confirmed before I booked anything.
  • luci
    Options
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    hi

I sooo wanna return to vegas and at the moment looking to going solo.I have a few questions-looking for advice...
    I am looking to be going 7th june-12th june(over night flight so landing back in the uk 13th june) and since im going solo i think i d be most comfortable at the mgm grand,since its the only hotel i ve stayed in and feel i know where i am!

1.is it best to use the myvegas rewards?it seems at the moment i can get 25% off room rates..how easy is it to do this...need i log onto the Mlife website to do this and link the 2? p.s unsure if i can do this but i see there is a chance to get a comp night via myvegas..can i combine the 2 rewards here?

2.book with expedia which is turning out in around £1100 or there abouts ..for flights, hotel.and bagage.. grand king room at the mgm for 5 nights.

any advice most welcomed
    cheers!
    Are you any further ahead with your planning?

You could look at Virgin Holidays for a package as they can sometimes have offers.

The MGM Grand can be quite expensive booking direct if you don't get an offer. Smartervegas, etc are mentioned on Page 1. Even though you are familiar with the MGM, as you said, it is the only hotel you have stayed in. It is actually one of the more difficult hotels to navigate.

There may be cheaper options such as Bally's, PH or Paris. Try www.lasvegasadvisor.com Even Park MGM if you want to stay with an MGM property.

I wouldn't suggest using the MyVegas 25% off as that is more than likely off the Rack Rate, ie the most expensive rate, and you can get better value elsewhere.

Try Kayak for flights and hotel, but do them separately. Agoda came up cheapest for me for the hotel I wanted, but I booked direct with Agoda rather than via Kayak. It is worth checking over a few days and noting the prices. The hotel I booked was more than 3 times the price on the hotel's own website. Now even more than that ON Agoda and I only booked about 4 weeks ago.
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    hi

and thanks for the detailed feedback luci !
    at the moment i'm toying with different dates and hotels and see where it takes me!
    thanks for the link you linked in your post will look into it!

thanks for the MyVegas 25% info
    will look into kayak as well.

kind regards and thank you for your time in posting a reply!!
  • luci
    Options
    Have you tired BA Holidays? I've just seen a cheap deal for next Feb, but I have read people say they got a Flight + Hotel cheaper than flight only.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got back a few days ago after staying at the MGM.
    WOW it has got so expensive out there.
    Was so surprised at the price of things now, food and drink especially but also the minimum bets on the slots etc.

Take the mini bar in the suite, $13 for a half size tin of pringles, $14 for a tin of redbull and over $20 for a miniature vodka lol.

A bottle of water in the MGM for just $9 or the same price for a tin of lager.
    An egg muffin with tater tots and a drink for breakfast from the food court was around $18.

Round the pool me and my daughter managed to spend over $150 a day on drinks a couple of times.

As well as 3 of spending around $5k on the slots and racking up a $1200 room bill we were comped a total of $400.

Will i go again? probably lol
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2019 at 11:55PM
    Options
    luci wrote: »
    Have you tired BA Holidays? I've just seen a cheap deal for next Feb, but I have read people say they got a Flight + Hotel cheaper than flight only.

I'm currently on the first leg of our return flight back from Vegas (on-board WiFi), booked via BA Holidays.

Flights + Car was cheaper than just flights, it also adds free luggage.

We added 5 nights hotel to our booking as it came out over £100 cheaper than booking them separately.

I'll write up a report when I get back. It was our third trip and we made good use of coupons & eating at plenty of buffets!
  • luci
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    Got back a few days ago after staying at the MGM.
    WOW it has got so expensive out there.
    Was so surprised at the price of things now, food and drink especially but also the minimum bets on the slots etc.

Take the mini bar in the suite, $13 for a half size tin of pringles, $14 for a tin of redbull and over $20 for a miniature vodka lol.

A bottle of water in the MGM for just $9 or the same price for a tin of lager.
    An egg muffin with tater tots and a drink for breakfast from the food court was around $18.

Round the pool me and my daughter managed to spend over $150 a day on drinks a couple of times.

As well as 3 of spending around $5k on the slots and racking up a $1200 room bill we were comped a total of $400.

Will i go again? probably lol
    When was your last trip?

Where I am finding a big jump in prices is in the lack of discounts I can normally get for show tickets. Last trip I managed to get almost $1200 of show tickets for just over $300. This year some tickets are more than double what I paid for 2 tickets last trip.

At least I am saving on the hotel as 14 nights is only $20 more than last time for exactly the same room and they have kept the week nights the same for the past 4 years lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure