Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

lessonlearned
lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 24 January 2018 at 11:02AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all “Happy New Year”.

Let’s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don’t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn’t lie and I couldn’t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don’t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don’t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending “to do list”.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to “do something”. I wasn’t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of “Frumpdom” has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age:rotfl: but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has “let herself go”. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here’s the good news .......it’s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don’t judge anyone here, we don’t get into futile pointless arguments, we don’t make nasty comments, we don’t indulge in sarcasm, we don’t bully others, we don’t play mind games and we don’t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let’s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don’t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That’s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It’s the first step on your journey.

Right I’m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 January 2018 at 1:11PM
    Looking forward to the 2018 thread.

ll I’ve been looking out for this all morning. Thought you might have a hangover :rotfl:

Happy new year to you all.

2018 goals
    Loose 1-1.5 stone in weight
    Read more books
    New experiences and adventures
    Support OHs goals
    Reduce overdraft
  • lessonlearned
    I am going to tell you about my word for this year........

it is “radiance”.

My aim is to be radiant, to be lit up with inner joy and happiness. I want to radiate this happiness to everyone I meet. I want to radiate health, energy and love. Oh dear that sounds all a bit New age and. Hippy Dippy doesnt it. But I think you get the gist.

What I mean is that I want to just be full of life, love and laughter.

So ladies......chose your word, set your goals and let’s make 2018 our best year yet.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 1 January 2018 at 1:33PM
    chanie wrote: »
    Looking forward to the 2018 thread.

ll I’ve been looking out for this all morning. Thought you might have a hangover :rotfl:

I’ll post my goals later.

Happy new year to you all.

Not a hangover......just a tad “tired” :rotfl:
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 January 2018 at 9:19PM
    ll pleased it was a good night, even if you are ‘tired’.

I don’t have a word as such, but I’ll go with a phrase, which is the name of my spending diary ‘spend less, live more’. This to me is about having a nice life, but in a sustainable way. Life can sometimes feel monotonous, literally work then home and no time for play and I want to change that. We’ve fallen into the trap of spending what we have. I really want a holiday this year and we can afford it, but we will need to be a bit more careful with our money, which we aren’t at the moment.

Fabbing wise, I’ve fallen off the wagon somewhat - not horrendously, but maintenance has taken a backseat I do have some lovely clothes and accessorises now, so that’s positive. I also have seen lots of stuff I want.....
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hello LL & everyone else :hello: I’m a long term lurker, think I’ve de-cloaked once or twice on previous threads a long time ago.

Just wanted to say Hi & that I always enjoy reading along. I’ve had a big change in my life in 2017 with the birth of my first child so the frump to fab ethos has an added meaning to me now as well - I can see how easy it is to give up on yourself when you have other priorities!

LL has asked for a word for 2018 - I have 3 (always greedy :rotfl:) Happiness & Self-care. I’ll be going back to work in a few months & know that life is going to get even more hectic so I NEED to help make time for myself.

My first main goal is to get back into doing yoga everyday, even if it’s only 20 mins. It really helps me to feel better & tone up a bit. My pelvis was all out of position after carrying & giving birth to an almost 10lb baby (forceps :eek:) and a combination of yoga and my wonderful chiropractor was the only thing that worked for me.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Hi all, and a happy new year to you.

We stayed in last night but heard all the fireworks. Today we went for a walk with my stepdaughter up Darwen tower. Called at the tockholes cafe too for some cake and coffee and got thoroughly soaked on the way back but a good walk always wakes me up.

My goal is to keep happy, healthy and cut out the alcohol for a month and see if it makes any difference to my well being.

I wear perfume every day to make an impression at work and where
    ever I am.

Got a few bargains online too, new toaster badly needed £11.99 from tj hughes, some shoes and clothing from debenhams.

Have also applied for a couple of part time jobs as my current temp part time role ends on the 24th.

So at the moment feeling pretty positive about this year.

:T
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2018 at 5:26PM
    :hello:

I'm back folks, and have just one word for 2018 - healthiness. I have somehow managed to sneak on 22lbs over what I used to be, which is affecting my sleep, fitness, posture and overall health & wellbeing, so this is my little list, my super seven :D

1. Find beginners Pilates & yoga classes and commit to going weekly :)
    2. Lose that extra 22lb slowly & steadily (although a dose of Noro would be a good starter! ;))
    3. Get my finances in order - working p/t gives too much time to spend wages that aren't full-time :o
    4. Sort my wardrobe and cull the frumpy stuff
    5. Focus on my inner goddess - I have an hourglass figure, and need to flaunt it rather than hiding it :D
    6. Start going swimming regularly again :p
    7. Cut down on alcohol

I shocked myself last night when dressing for our dinner party, as I had no suitable dress that fitted and ended up in a floral print pencil skirt with a plain black top - more of a work or daytime outfit in my head :( I also realised I have no figure-enhancing tops so will be channelling my inner Indiepanda and checking out Kettlewell's sale :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss wrote: »
    :hello:

I'm back folks, and have just one word for 2018 - healthiness. I have somehow managed to sneak on 22lbs over what I used to be, which is affecting my sleep, fitness, posture and overall health & wellbeing, so this is my little list, my super seven :D

1. Find beginners Pilates & yoga classes and commit to going weekly :)
    2. Lose that extra 22lb slowly & steadily (although a dose of Noro would be a good starter! ;))
    3. Get my finances in order - working p/t gives too much time to spend wages that aren't full-time :o
    4. Sort my wardrobe and cull the frumpy stuff
    5. Focus on my inner goddess - I have an hourglass figure, and need to flaunt it rather than hiding it :D
    6. Start going swimming regularly again :p
    7. Cut down on alcohol

I shocked myself last night when dressing for our dinner party, as I had no suitable dress that fitted and ended up in a floral print pencil skirt with a plain black top - more of a work or daytime outfit in my head :( I also realised I have no figure-enhancing tops so will be channelling my inner Indiepanda and checking out Kettlewell's sale :D

Love the super seven list.
    Can I ask how young/old you are?? Im 50, 5ft 6 and 10 stone.
    I used to be 9.5 stone. Size 12 but even with using weights at the gym and toning up, im still that size so hopefully cutting the wine out will help.
    Having a sit down job doesnt help either.

;)
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    I'm 53, 54 at Easter, 5'5", 11st 13.5lbs :eek: was a nice shapwly size 12, now I'm pushing a 14 with broader hips & belly :(

Again, sedentary job but i have a fitbit in a bangke that i wear all the time, so will be aiming to increase my steps.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Evening lovely ladies,

Yippee, a new thread :j.

Have been thinking a lot about what I would like to achieve in 2018 and have come to the decision that my word will be Positivity, not only as an attitude towards my self care but also when looking outwards to my dealings with other people? After all, how much better do we feel when we engage with someone who has a really happy, positive outlook on life, well I want to be that person!
    It's still a work in process, am writing various thoughts and ideas down so will be exploring these further over the next few weeks.
    There is already a situation in my life that, looked at in a negative way, could impact on my happiness ( have been given notice at the yard where I keep my horse after only four months due to it's closure) but have decided to turn it around and look at in in a far more positive light. We can move somewhere different, meet new people and encounter fresh experiences, who knows what's in store for us, how exciting!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure